REAL MADRID WANT POCHETTINO | Vital Football

REAL MADRID WANT POCHETTINO

Welshtel

Vital Football Hero
That was the headline this morning in the Daily Mail PLUS "They'll go for Kane and Alli too.

Now OK, this IS the Daily Mail but it has to disturb most fans who have seen our team take a team like RM apart and do it on the European stage which has to be provocative to their fans and they will want blood. If It's Zidane's then they'll want a replacement and it makes sense that one of the best managers in Europe, Pochettino (IMO) is going to be cited as a possible replacement. OK he's Portugese speaking not Spanish but that wouldn't be hard for him.

ANY takers? Or do you think it couldn't happen? With the new Stadium coming up and the team doing ok, would he leave?

At the moment, I don't think there is a chance in hell that they'll dump ZZ - yes they're going through a difficult period; injuries have hurt them badly and hit them hard, but you could also say that the issues over the tax affairs and an impending major fine as well as the sanctions they could face because of the potential charges of 'state aid' may all be pressing on the clubs finances.

Of course that may well mean that they too have to look to their youth - something that they haven't been overly keen on, in which case Poch might well be a real consideration, but for what it's worth, his family are very settled in England and he believes that the new stadium will be primer for a period of winning trophies and winning them regularly, as long as that belief holds, I have few fears about losing him.

It really comes to something when you have Carra praising anything to do with Spurs!! - Never ever thought I'd see the day!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/03/tottenham-brink-something-special-keep-mauricio-pochettino/

Tottenham are on brink of something special - if they keep Mauricio Pochettino

Jamie Carragher Jamie Carragher

3 November 2017 • 3:38pm

Mauricio Pochettino has the skill to leave a lasting legacy at Tottenham and win trophies Credit: PAUL CHILDS/Action Images

Who would you prefer managing your club: a coach with two Champions League wins, a Liga and the World Club championship in less than two full seasons in senior management, or a coach who, in eight years as a manager, has won nothing?

Zinedine Zidane or Mauricio Pochettino? Based on their CVs there is no choice, yet you will not find a single Spurs fan willing to swap their coach for the Real Madrid legend.

In fact, if Zidane’s troubles continue in Spain I am confident Pochettino would be the first name on the Real president Florentino Pérez’s Christmas wishlist.

Some managers, like Zidane, are figureheads. They inspire with their presence, command the respect of a dressing room and ensure the egos work together.

Their work should not be underestimated at the superclubs. Zidane deserves more credit for what he has achieved in Madrid since taking over in January 2016. No one will convince me Zidane is a superior training ground coach to his predecessor, Rafa Benítez – the most studious and tactically aware manager I ever had - but moulding superstar players into a unit brings its own challenges. Benítez did not succeed with the same group of players.
Zidane
Zinedine Zidane's work as a figurehead coach is underrated but should Real Madrid get rid of him, Povhettino would be top of their wishlist Credit: Sandra Montanez - FIFA

There are other coaches who change the mentality, reputation and status of a football club so their imprint remains long after they have moved on. Football historians can create their own list of these coaching pioneers from Matt Busby and Bill Shankly to Rinus Michels to Johan Cruyff and Sir Alex Ferguson and Pep Guardiola.

Pochettino is changing our perception of Spurs by following the tradition of his compatriot and mentor Marcelo Bielsa. He has absorbed Bielsa’s ideas but he is yet to shrug off one of the more unwelcome habits of his teacher.

Speak to any coach inspired by Bielsa and they will lavish praise, but his honours list is modest. He has never won a major trophy in Europe, and his last title was in Argentina in 1998.
Jamie Carragher's ultimate Premier League XI Jamie Carragher's ultimate Premier League XI
02:33

Does this diminish Bielsa’s genius or scale of his influence? Of course not, but the greatest managers want success to enhance their prominent standing.

Tottenham are deservedly winning plenty of applause for their brilliant form, but here is one compliment they will not like: they are the best trophy-less team I have ever seen.

English football has never had a side play so consistently well without anything to show for it. People talk about Kevin Keegan’s entertainers of 1996 but Spurs are vastly superior.

I was at Wembley in midweek to see the dismantling of Real Madrid in the Champions League. It felt like a statement performance.

You heard some say Madrid are a fading force, no longer the side that won three of the last four Champions League finals. I have no time for such nonsense, when the breaking down of a formidable opponent is attributed to one team’s weakness more than the other’s strength.
Bielsa in specs with famous scowl
Marcelo Bielsa is one of the most influential cocahes in world football and a mentor to Pochettino but has not won a domestic trophy since the Clausura with Velez Sarsfield 19 years ago Credit: FRANCK FIFE/AFP/Getty Images

Fair enough Real had two or three first team players missing, but they had not lost a group game for five years before Wednesday. They are a team packed with extraordinary players who were made to look an ordinary side. Pochettino’s line-up demonstrated the youthful vigour that makes them one of the most exciting teams in Europe, and we should also remember how close they were to winning the away fixture a fortnight ago. This was not a solitary impressive performance, but a level Spurs have been building to for three years.

Pochettino said this game this could be a turning point psychologically. For me, the one thing the team lacks is that winning mentality. Do those players truly believe they can win the big trophies?

Is there something about Spurs as a club that means the general lack of expectation they will win the top honours impacts on the mentality of the players?

For this to change there is an emphasis on the need to retain their stars such as Dele Alli and Harry Kane. No. The most important man they must keep is Pochettino.
"English football has never had a side play so consistently well without anything to show for it"

Why am I such a big fan? I retired as a player almost five years ago and since moving into punditry Pochettino’s Tottenham are the team I have enjoyed watching most. They are everything you want in terms of balance, attacking, defending, bringing youngsters through and improving players.

Their constant changing of their set-up from a back three to back four typifies Pochettino’s coaching skill. We see other managers do this and think it is because of uncertainty, not knowing the best team or system. When I see Spurs do it, it is seamless, everyone knowing and understanding their role.

A lot of people in football discuss systems. It is easy to talk about it, but a completely different proposition executing, ensuring players comprehend it and buy into it.

I said on Wednesday it was a privilege to be at Wembley to witness Spurs’ performance. As a neutral I am sure I speak for a lot of people in this country when I say it will be a shame if this manager and this team does not win a major trophy in the next two or three years.

That will be extremely difficult with the financial might of the Manchester clubs and Chelsea. There will be a temptation to leave for Madrid or Paris Saint-Germain, who I have no doubt will offer Pochettino the chance to join the managerial elite as a trophy winner swifter than might be possible in north London.

The greatest managers not only collect silverware, but leave a lasting legacy. Pochettino can achieve both at Tottenham. If he succeeds, Bielsa’s student will eclipse his master.

Well all that applause sounds like reason for every man and his dog wanting Pochettino’s bones at their club.

I just hope you’re right EX, I HOPE THE STADIUM IS the catalyst, ‘primer’ was the term I think you used, for future trophies for the manager.

When you look at Poch, he just looks happy where he is. I expect to see him at Tottenham for many years. He understands that keeping things fresh with new incoming players & competition for the first team. I've always thought if he did leave he would move to International football. Maybe go & make something of the very talented flailing Argentina. Just recently he mentioned possibly managing England some day . On the darker side , what sort of slide of bad form would it take for Levy to remove him ? Would it be out of the top 6 ? The relationship between Levy & Poch looks very strong & I hope we never find out what the deal breaker would be .

Why any good manager would want to go to madrid is beyond me. One season where they dont win a thing and your out the door. Poch should try and get spurs their first PL title. TBH the spurs job should be a hard one to walk away from as we really are on the verge of becoming a major force in football.

Madrid are on the decline, once ronaldo calls it a day they really would have to spend a lot of money to get back.

Taricco the yid - 4/11/2017 20:01

Why any good manager would want to go to madrid is beyond me. One season where they dont win a thing and your out the door. Poch should try and get spurs their first PL title. TBH the spurs job should be a hard one to walk away from as we really are on the verge of becoming a major force in football.

Madrid are on the decline, once ronaldo calls it a day they really would have to spend a lot of money to get back.
u

All Madrid’s financial advantages are evaporating before their eyes. The Spanish League will need some serious investment from people with real money, not taxpayer money, to get back to where they were.

Poch:

"For me, the most important club in the world is Tottenham and for me, it is the best club in the world," said Pochettino.

"I need to feel like this. That emotion is real because I cannot be fake it. I cannot translate that emotion to the players, I cannot translate that emotion to my chairman, to create the trust if you don't really believe. Today, for me, Tottenham is in my head 100 per cent.

"Today I do not change Tottenham for another position in the world because I am so involved, I am so focused, and because I think the club deserves to have people that think only about the club, the fans, the players and the structures
that provide us with an unbelievable life.

"It is an amazing club, everything is amazing and it's so important for us to pay back, no? To pay back the club in the same way that the club treats us."

Not so long ago, (I think it was 80 that said it) it was suggested here that Levy offer shares as an incentive to Poch - as of yesterday I now believe that as part of his new contract (which I'm told for the first time is not being done by himself and is being discussed) that share options are on the table.

If this is borne out in due course to be true and not idle speculation; it will be an incredible statement of faith in Poch by ENIC.

Why would Real ( or any 'big' club ) see Poch as a suitable manager for them ?

These teams are full of superstar big names and big egos, the exact opposite of the teams that Poch builds.

Big Chiv - 6/11/2017 13:41

These teams are full of superstar big names and big egos, the exact opposite of the teams that Poch builds.

THIS is THE most accurate assessment of the situation. I would add that I don't think MOP likes anyone to have a bigger ego than he does.....or, more to the point, a bigger sense of importance to the team.

Big Chiv - 6/11/2017 13:41

Real Madrid's business model has to change or they face (in their terms) almost total obliteration.

They can no longer rely on state aid (as they have done so many times); they cannot raise ticket prices in the way they want to as they're owned by the members, media revenues for la Liga are already skewed in theirs and Barca favour and the capacity for bigger growth in media payments is looking extremely unlikely , the 'national' owned clubs have blown the transfer marker for Galatico's into the stratosphere and with RM's issues about to get worse with the authorities, unless they change their ownership model they cannot raise the capital needed to compete long term.

So the 'galatico' model of buying the best at any price and paying the best wages is now teetering on the brink as a strategy that looks like yesterdays plan...

That means tomorrow's plan will be able building from the youth up, i.e. not selling players like Morata etc - and the 'best' coaches are not used to having to do that in places like Madrid and their current president knows it - so if they do grasp the nettle, someone who has had around 15 internationals created within his teams, is worth a long hard look....and that is why Guillem Balague thinks that Real Madrid are assessing him very carefully...

Spurs are Poch's team...he has and will continue to build us year on year...why would he want to go and inherit another team of egotistical big head players and try to quash their egos to play how he wants them to....total fallout would result!

Greavswasthegreatest - 6/11/2017 21:00

Spurs are Poch's team...he has and will continue to build us year on year...why would he want to go and inherit another team of egotistical big head players and try to quash their egos to play how he wants them to....total fallout would result!

It's a tough decision; it's the same in all walks of life, all area's of business; if you do well at a 'lower' level and you're offered the chance to play with the big boys or in this case a bigger club who traditionally have a 'money no object' approach, you've got to be tempted, doubling maybe even trembling your money, even for a short period of time, may well be very atractive.

That said at the moment I think Poch is emotionally invested in Tottenham and we should all know why that can lead to being irrational !!

Totti famously once said winning a league title at Roma is worth 10 at Juventus.

Poch has said he can see Kane being Spurs Totti, which makes me think he feels the same way.

But Welshy... Poch is Argentinian, they speak Spanish not Portuguese.