Real Madrid-Manchester City Champions League Last 16 1 Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Real Madrid-Manchester City Champions League Last 16 1 Post Match Thread

22:25
'This is just the first part'
Real Madrid 1-2 Man City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola to BT Sport: "We tried to come here to win the game and we did. This is just the first part. If one team can overcome this situation, it's this club.

"When we were better, we conceded a goal. When they were bettter, we scored a goal. That's football. I remember the quarter-final a few seasons ago at Anfield when we played incredibly well and they scored all their shots on target."

On Aymeric Laporte's injury...

"After five months injured in this scenario it's so demanding. Fernandinho came in and did incredibly well. I'm so proud. This is the first step. It's not over. We can enjoy the moment. On Sunday we have a final. We'll keep going in the Premier League and prepare for the second game against Real Madrid."

22:27
'Losing Laporte is a massive blow'
Real Madrid 1-2 Man City

Micah Richards
Former Man City defender on BBC Radio 5 Live

To lose your best centre-back is a massive blow but they have John Stones and Fernandinho who can come in and do a good job.
I've been there with injuries and you could see he wasn't fully fit at the weekend against Leicester.

22:34
Real Madrid 1-2 Man City

Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro: "The tie isn't finished with this result. We played 75 spectacular minutes against a great team.
"Then in just 15 minutes we didn’t do any of what he should have done. That’s why they fought back and cancelled out our lead. We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us now.
"If there’s any team capable of overcoming this deficit in the second leg it’s Real Madrid."

22:36
'De Bruyne needs to drive this team to win the Champions League'
Real Madrid 1-2 Man City

Micah Richards
Former Man City defender on BBC Radio 5 Live

Kevin de Bruyne was quiet-ish for the first 60 minutes. But once he got more involved, he delivered. He has taken the midfield role to another level. He got yet another assist and he's come up with an important goal. We've joked about Ederson but De Bruyne is the man to take the pens.

He's already a great player, but to become a legend, he needs to drive this team on to win the Champions League.

Got up early and watched the game, came home from from a long bike ride and had to watch it all again, just to make sure we had won. The ref was excellent with his decisions and was always up with the play without appearing to gallop much around the park. Fingers crossed, it is only half time, but just maybe the Gods are with us this year.

A fantastic performance from the players and Pep aided by the wonderful Blues fans!

Immensely proud of Kevin De Bruyne, not just his all round performance but for stepping up when it really mattered. Taking responsibility for the penalty given our recent record in that department, away in the Bernabéu and with such a lot at stake.........:bow:

He has just gone up a level in my book.

The job is nowhere near done and Laporte will be a miss.........but I would have torn your arm off for that result at 7.59pm last evening

Sky
Player ratings
Ederson (7),
Walker (7),
Laporte (6),
Otamendi (6),
Mendy (7),
Rodrigo (6),
Gundogan (6),
Mahrez (6),
De Bruyne (8),
Bernardo Silva (6),
Jesus (7).

Subs: Fernandinho (7), Sterling (7).

Man of the match: Kevin De Bruyne

MUEN
Player Ratings
Ederson - 8
Walker - 7
Otamendi - 4
Laporte* - 6
Mendy - 5
Rodrigo - 6
Gundogan - 6
Mahrez - 7
De Bruyne (C)- 9
Bernardo**- 7
Jesus - 9

Subs:*, Fernandinho* 7 Sterling** 7, (Not Used) Bravo, D Silva, Cancelo, Aguero, Foden

Some of these MUEN ratings are especially harsh. Otamendi a 4? WTF? He played well and was given a poor pass by Rodri before the goal. If anyone gets a whack for their goal it should be Walker who got to the ball but made the wrong decision. Gundo 6? No way. Quietly efficient he was at least a 7+. Mendy was sloppy in possession but even I would give him a 6.

Last edited: