Real Madrid-Manchester City Champions League Last 16 1 Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Real Madrid-Manchester City Champions League Last 16 1 Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Real Madrid 1 Manchester City 2
FT Stats
Possession
Madrid 48.6% City 51.4% (UEFA site has Madrid 50%, City 50%)
Corners
Madrid 1 City 4
Offsides
Madrid 0 City 0
Fouls
Madrid 13 City 10
Cards
Madrid 2 Y 1 R City 1 Y (Mendy)
On Target
Madrid 3 City 8
Woodwork
Madrid 0 City 0
Off Target
Madrid 6 City 8 (UEFA site has 9 Madrid shots, City 16 - City OS Madrid 4 off target, City 5)

Attendance 75,615

Compiled from UEFA and City Official Site match day threads.

Links

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2027121--real-madrid-vs-man-city

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2019/real-madrid-v-manchester-city

21:55
'What a turnaround'
Real Madrid 1-2 Man City

Michael Brown
Former Man City midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live

Such a turnaround. City knew this was a big game for them. The players put everything in. It was all work ethic and concentration.

Kevin de Bruyne was magnificent at times. In a role that is difficult at times when you are not always getting the ball, but when he did, he delivered.

Posted at 22:0022:00
'Pep deserves massive credit'
Real Madrid 1-2 Man City

Micah Richards
Former Man City defender on BBC Radio 5 Live

This was a masterclass. So many times people question Pep - to not start David Silva, Sterling, Aguero, Fernandinho - he deserves massive credit.
Tonight he showed that if he's not the best in the world, he is one of the top three.

22:11
'Sometimes Pep surprises'
Real Madrid 1-2 Man City

Manchester City goalscorer Kevin de Bruyne to BT Sport: "It's a very good start. We struggled in the first 15 minutes but you have to go through the storm.

"It was an even first half. We started the second half really well. Their goal came at a bad moment for us - we were dominating. Our response was brilliant. It was a beautiful goal from Gabriel Jesus.

"In four years with Pep, he sometimes surprises. Sometimes players aren't told until the game what we need to do. There were some good and some lesser moments. In a quality game like this, you'll struggle sometimes.

"We're only halfway there. We have an important game at home in three weeks. Now we have to recover for Sunday's final [in the Carabao Cup against Aston Villa]

MUEN
Player Ratings
Ederson - 8
Walker - 7
Otamendi - 4
Laporte* - 6
Mendy - 5
Rodrigo - 6
Gundogan - 6
Mahrez - 7
De Bruyne (C)- 9
Bernardo**- 7
Jesus - 9

Subs:*, Fernandinho* 7 Sterling** 7, (Not Used) Bravo, D Silva, Cancelo, Aguero, Foden

22:11
'It doesn't matter if I run back or forwards'
Real Madrid 1-2 Man City

Manchester City forward Gabriel Jesus speaks to BT Sport about playing on the wing: "I can remember my time in the Palmeiras academy and I play like a winger and then become a striker. But I go to the pitch to help my team-mates. It doesn't matter if I have to run back or forwards. I have to help my team-mates.

"We are learning a lot. We have to play different positions sometimes."

22:15
'This is a different City'
Real Madrid 1-2 Man City

Micah Richards
Former Man City defender on BBC Radio 5 Live

Raheem Sterling has not been in the greatest form of late. But he can change games with the way he runs at defenders. You can see why Real Madrid are interested in him, he walks into that side. But City have got better players than them.

After all that happened with Uefa, this is a different City. They are working harder and working together. Everyone throws stones at you when you play for City, so to have that unity, it's them against the world. They are really fighting for each other.

22:16
Via statisticians Gracenote...

Chance of qualifying for the Champions League quarter-finals based on historical results:
94% - Manchester City 60% - Lyon 40% - Juventus 6% - Real Madrid

It's not over by a long shot!

22:19
'Real have not made the transition'
Real Madrid 1-2 Man City

Guillem Balague
Spanish football journalist on BBC Radio 5 Live

Real are second in the league, but the transition from the golden years has not been made. From Bale, Benzema and Cristiano, today we had Benzema, Isco and Vinicius up front. It's not been an easy transition because it's impossible to replace 50 goals a season.

After last season, the club could have been ruthless but they kept on Kroos, Modric and Benzema for one more season. Zidane will always depend on the players he has rather than the work he does. There is no collective answer to the problems they have.