Reading v Derby County match review | Vital Football

Reading v Derby County match review

FYI your line ups are a tad short: Mason Bennett was also on the bench for us as well as another sub on their bench but can't be arsed to look up who

Really disappointed with the display. When we equalised thanks to their keeper it was nice to see us still going for 3 points after being under the cosh, that wouldn't have happened in previous seasons. Some very poor individual performances out there but the togetherness of this team got us the 3points and it was nice to see. Once Davies and Keogh know how to play out from the back we'll start to look better. Bennetts cross and Lawro's header were world class and worthy of the 3 points!

I take the blame for the opening 35 minutes. Couldnt find a stream then I remembered the Mobdro app on my phone and watched on that.

Too many poor passes. Full backs attacking too much and putting the 2 CDs under unnecessary pressure. With the exception of Lowe, the back 4 didn't look comfortable on the ball. They did against Wolves and Soton.....

Carson - good game, didn't have a lot to do 2nd half
Wisdom - too many poor passes. gets the ball and stops, passes mainly square or back. Not his best game by a long chalk. I'd rather he attacked a little less. We often seem to be playing with a back 2.
Keogh - Half a season's worth of blunders in one half. Luckily we got away with it. Had it been one of theirs at the other end I would have been unhappy if we hadn't scored at least one of them. That header out into the D...... duh! always head out wide.......
Davies - Good.
Lowe - Good. I'd rather he attacked a little less. We often seem to be playing with a back 2.
Bryson - The little engine that could. He was everywhere.
Ledley (Johnson, 69’) - Ledley poor. Did he start the game with that hamstring issue? Johnson did what Johnson does, got himself booked.
Mount - Glimpses of class. Needs to show more of it.
Wilson - Not a good game from him. Glimpses of class, no more.
Nugent (Bennett, 73’) - Made the runs, didn't get the ball. Put it in the net but had strayed offside. Bennett did what he has promised in the past but, until now, not delivered. If he can avoid the silly injuries this could well be the season he finally achieves his potential.Great cross for the winner.
Lawrence (Pearce, 90') Very good. Pearce wasn't on long enough to pass judgment.

Winning games when you started awfully, got away with a lot of errors and then show the spirit to come back from 1 down to win in the dying seconds is the stuff good seasons are built on. Will this be one for us? I hope so.

I came away feeling really positive (and had made that decision before that wonderful header).

I think the team showed good potential. They were positive and worked hard from start to finish. Despite the 1st game nerves and slow 1st 35 minutes, they still controlled the game, I can't remember Reading having any sustained period of pressure or time on the ball. It didn't always come off, but the signs are there and I can see things getting good after 10 or so games so long as the mentality continues. They earned the win and the passion shown when that winner went in I haven't seen in a long while.

Positives:

Mount, a touch of class, should grow into a decent player.
Bennett, made an impact, can't see him starting games but is a very good option to have.
Lowe, big improvement on Forsyth.
Davis, solid.
Lawrence, worked hard on and off the ball, deserved his goal.

Concerns:

Keogh needs to see if he is colour blind. Good game defensively, but passing was nervous. Hopefully got it out of his system.
Youth, not yet sure how well they'll deal with things going against them. There was a moment where if it wasn't for Carson stepping in someone was gonna get sent off (couldn't identify who from distance). Could have a couple of sending offs this year if they're not careful. We need to be patient with them as fans too, not get on their backs when they take a risk that doesn't come off, that youthful positivity will make things happen for us if harnessed correctly.

Frank Lampard:

I had concerns when we signed him that he would see this as an easy job / stepping stone. Pre-season and 1st game has changed my mind, his heart is firmly in it. His 1st half time team talk seemed to do the trick (despite going down against the run of play). Still to be tested when things go wrong, but I'm hoping his positive outlook rubs off on players and fans alike, and we give this guy a go.

I came away feeling really positive (and had made that decision before that wonderful header).

I think the team showed good potential. They were positive and worked hard from start to finish. Despite the 1st game nerves and slow 1st 35 minutes, they still controlled the game, I can't remember Reading having any sustained period of pressure or time on the ball. It didn't always

come off, but the signs are there and I can see things getting good after 10 or so games so long as the mentality continues. They earned the win and the passion shown when that winner went in I haven't seen in a long while.

Positives:

Mount, a touch of class, should grow into a decent player.
Bennett, made an impact, can't see him starting games but is a very good option to have.
Lowe, big improvement on Forsyth.
Davis, solid.
Lawrence, worked hard on and off the ball, deserved his goal.

Concerns:

Keogh needs to see if he is colour blind. Good game defensively, but passing was nervous. Hopefully got it out of his system.
Youth, not yet sure how well they'll deal with things going against them. There was a moment where if it wasn't for Carson stepping in someone was gonna get sent off (couldn't identify who from distance). Could have a couple of sending offs this year if they're not careful. We need to be patient with them as fans too, not get on their backs when they take a risk that doesn't come off, that youthful positivity will make things happen for us if harnessed correctly.

Frank Lampard:

I had concerns when we signed him that he would see this as an easy job / stepping stone. Pre-season and 1st game has changed my mind, his heart is firmly in it. His 1st half time team talk seemed to do the trick (despite going down against the run of play). Still to be tested when things go wrong, but I'm hoping his positive outlook rubs off on players and fans alike, and we give Apollo

Adi yes not the best was it the balance in midfield doesn't seem right We have two similar players in Bryson and Mount both want to get forward we are caught out in the first half with them both up the field at the same time But sorted it better in the second I've always been a Keogh supporter but after another mare maybe time to sign another centre back I say sign because we don't have anyone good enough in the club Especially to play FLs possession game But there are promising signs Mount obviously a talent Bryson played well Lowe looked ok Just the wideman who never really got going Good job Lawrence scored because he didn't do a lot else To be fair it's it Not easy for widemen to be consistent

Latest Rams News