Reading v Aston Villa - Match Thread - Sat 2nd Feb, 3pm | Page 20 | Vital Football

Reading v Aston Villa - Match Thread - Sat 2nd Feb, 3pm

I’d just like a bit of consistency that’s all.

He’s guilty of both or innocent on both.

As it is, the FA have decided that the referee saw it so can’t take retrospective action. So it sit on the fence job.

As for taking him off us in the summer. If he actually has a run of games without injury and impresses then we’ll be keeping him.

I'm sure if he does well here he will want to stay here.

Again I ask why you are making such a fuss of the Mings incident on Saturday ?

I don’t think I’m making much of a fuss. I’ve said my point, if you don’t want to discuss it then fine. We’ve got 7 pages of it on our forum. I think there’s a bit of Villa bias going on and that’s perfectly understandable.

I'm sure if he does well here he will want to stay here.

So he might do, but we’ll want to recoup the £8million and no doubt he will want you to match his wages...

BAN BAN BAN BAN !!

Only joking DJ, nice to have a debate From all angles

Thanks peculiar reaction from some. Next time I’ll just repeat what others have said keep everyone happy.

I don’t think I’m making much of a fuss. I’ve said my point, if you don’t want to discuss it then fine. We’ve got 7 pages of it on our forum. I think there’s a bit of Villa bias going on and that’s perfectly understandable.

So he might do, but we’ll want to recoup the £8million and no doubt he will want you to match his wages...

Thanks peculiar reaction from some. Next time I’ll just repeat what others have said keep everyone happy.

I don't think finances are a problem and I can't see you guys paying mega wages.

I don't think finances are a problem and I can't see you guys paying mega wages.

Well considering his injury record we may well bite your hand off then if that scenario plays out.

On the point of finances I did read you put a bigger deal on the table for Chris Mepham, but he opted for us (despite the stadium).

The intentional stamps on Grealish were far worse

No better, granted. But far worse? Why? Because he's one of ours.

If someone had done a Ming on one of our players most, I think, would be up in arms.

Second time he's done this, so I guess he's just a bit accident prone. Luckily, although scarred, the studs didn't land in his eyes

I’d just like a bit of consistency that’s all.

He’s guilty of both or innocent on both.

As it is, the FA have decided that the referee saw it so can’t take retrospective action. So it sit on the fence job.

As for taking him off us in the summer. If he actually has a run of games without injury and impresses then we’ll be keeping him.

Why is he "guilty of both or innocent on both"? Different incidents. Different circumstances. I've no idea whether the Zlatan one was intentional or not. At first sight it I'd say not, but players intending on stamping often make a point of looking into the far distance while they do it, witness the pillock Rooney when his World Cup stamp effectively ended our (very reasonable) hopes. The Reading incident looked to me as though he definitely had no idea that would happen. The ref and the league thought so as well. End of.

Given the history and size of our club and the way it has been mismanaged over the last 10 years, some of us are a little sensitive when it comes to our current trials and tribulations.

I appreciate that you are interested in the well being and future of one of your players, as we hope that his tenure at Villa is successful. As for the future, unless you have a crystal ball, it's all conjecture. Lets wait and see what develops. I would suggest as you rightly say, playing Premiership football for Premiership wages would be the ambition for Mings, wherever that may be.

As regards Bournemouth, hats off to Eddie Howe and what the club has achieved during the period of Villa's decline. You should rightly enjoy making hay while the sun shines. Given the history and stature of your club, it probably won't last forever.

It's been raining on the Villa for sometime now and we just hope that the weather is about to change.

Last edited:
Think Mings is lucky to get away with it tbh and as said above if it was the other way round then the pitchforks would have been out on here.

If he stays fit, which would be quite the turn up given his record, and does well he'll be back to B/mouth or another lower end Prem survivalist as the wages will be too much and he'll just get bid up with that daft clause that's supposedly in the deal. Sure there'll be another player we can train on for someone though by then.

Given the history and size of our club and the way it has been mismanaged over the last 10 years, some of us are a little sensitive when it comes to the current trials and tribulations of our club.

I appreciate that you are interested in the well being and future of one of your players, as we hope that his tenure at Villa is successful. As for the future, unless you have a crystal ball, it's all conjecture. Lets wait and see what develops. I would suggest as you rightly say, playing Premiership football for Premiership wages would be the ambition for Mings, wherever that may be.

As regards Bournemouth, hats off to Eddie Howe and what the club has achieved during the period of Villa's decline. You should rightly enjoy making hay while the sun shines. Given the history and stature of your club, it probably won't last forever.

It's been raining on the Villa for sometime now and we just hope that the weather is about to change.

Indeed, not expecting it to last forever. Only a handful of clubs can really looking at the history of the top flight.

Stadium size and infrastructure don’t count for a thing if you don’t invest in the team which is what our owners have opted to do despite fan frustrations.

From a business point of view it’s hard to argue their stance. As a fan looking at the generations to come we see it as short sighted.

But whilst it lasts we can enjoy nights like last Wednesday. One of those games and we never thought would happen considering where we were not that long ago.

Blimey, here was me thinking this was a fan message board. Didn’t realise you only dealt with personal statements from managers.

He signed a new contract in 2017, he cost £8million and was our record signing. He just hasn’t played as he was sidelined with a knee injury for over a year and then suffered a back fracture
Well considering his injury record we may well bite your hand off then if that scenario plays out.

On the point of finances I did read you put a bigger deal on the table for Chris Mepham, but he opted for us (despite the stadium).

I think to want to play for Eddie Howe and the pull of the Premier League will always sway most players with that choice.

Eddie Howe knows that a new and much bigger ground is the only way AFC Bournemouth will grow and I suspect Bournemouth have lost a few signings as well because of that.

I rate Eddie Howe very highly and I wonder how they would survive without his input and personally being able to attract players to the club?

Anyway, after 34 very happy years of living in the town before moving 11 years ago, I will always have a soft spot somewhere for the Cherries but compared to the Villa, it's a very small spot:grinning:

Because it was a big incident and another player got badly injured?

It's become a big incident because some on twitter have made it so. No one really started talking about it until yesterday, it wasn't a big incident on Saturday , the reaction of their crowd and players shows that and the ref gave us a free kick.

If there should be an issue it should be with those "blade" studs that are used nowadays. Remember Rooneys gash on his thigh caused by them.

I think to want to play for Eddie Howe and the pull of the Premier League will always sway most players with that choice.

Eddie Howe knows that a new and much bigger ground is the only way AFC Bournemouth will grow and I suspect Bournemouth have lost a few signings as well because of that.

I rate Eddie Howe very highly and I wonder how they would survive without his input and personally being able to attract players to the club?

Anyway, after 34 very happy years of living in the town before moving 11 years ago, I will always have a soft spot somewhere for the Cherries but compared to the Villa, it's a very small spot:grinning:

If he was to walk away tomorrow it no doubt will be a slow and then rapid decline. I doubt there is another club in the top four divisions that are so intrinsically built around one man.

Indeed, not expecting it to last forever. Only a handful of clubs can really looking at the history of the top flight.

Stadium size and infrastructure don’t count for a thing if you don’t invest in the team which is what our owners have opted to do despite fan frustrations.

From a business point of view it’s hard to argue their stance. As a fan looking at the generations to come we see it as short sighted.

But whilst it lasts we can enjoy nights like last Wednesday. One of those games and we never thought would happen considering where we were not that long ago.

It's about the right investment in the right players. At Villa, a successsion of poor managers have paid ridiculous wages to players who were not and are not good enough since the end of O'Neill's tenure. That is why the club is languishing mid table in Div 2. Until that ends, we will remain there.

For my own twopenneth worth I think I see DJ's point about what's the difference, but I look at from the point of view that the Rooney shove from memory in the man u game made it equally as un-deliberate as the weekend's one as Oliveira's foul in effect took the ability to avoid him from him.

Neither were worthy of a ban, it's just a very unfortunate but rare side effect side effect of physical sport.

Reactions: DJ
If he was to walk away tomorrow it no doubt will be a slow and then rapid decline. I doubt there is another club in the top four divisions that are so intrinsically built around one man.

True and without that new ground he will walk one day? it doesn't help to have a local council that remains firmly entrenched in the past and has made so many ridiculous decisions over many years.

Mind you it's always been well known they do like a brown envelope or two at the council planning so maybe that might help!;)