Reading v Aston Villa - Match Thread - Sat 2nd Feb, 3pm | Page 12 | Vital Football

Reading v Aston Villa - Match Thread - Sat 2nd Feb, 3pm

Hear me out, not saying we should sack Smith at the moment but worst case scenario Dean has to leave his post in the future would we have the clout with our new owners to go and get Wenger, he wants to get back into football apparently, his style would be perfect for us and he is good in the market and also develops youth, ticks all the boxes in my opinion, but would we be able to convince him to come here, surely worth a try if needed, that signing would make a very clear statement and Wenger would instantly command respect.

When you look at today's team, which players will be here next season.

Kallinic
Taylor
Hourihane
Whelan
Adomah
Guilbert

We have options on
Hause
Mings
Carroll

McGinn and Grealish will go.

Doesn't look good to me.

Despite dropping 18 points including the Albion game we are still only 4 points of a play off place. What a piss poor league this is.

Hear me out, not saying we should sack Smith at the moment but worst case scenario Dean has to leave his post in the future would we have the clout with our new owners to go and get Wenger, he wants to get back into football apparently, his style would be perfect for us and he is good in the market and also develops youth, ticks all the boxes in my opinion, but would we be able to convince him to come here, surely worth a try if needed, that signing would make a very clear statement and Wenger would instantly command respect.

Wenger? :lol:

So say he comes in the summer, and for whatever reason, we fail to win any of our first three or four matches? How long before he needs to go? Who do we replace him with? Ferguson? :rofl:

FFS people. Give Dean Smith a chance to ship out the deadwood (of which there is plenty), sign his own players and work with them during the summer. He's had a January window with fuck all money (not to mention the dearth of quality players available during this window).

Jesus wept, no wonder everyone hates us. The sense of entitlement is beyond belief.

Jesus wept, no wonder everyone hates us. The sense of entitlement is beyond belief.

Laugh all you want and I wouldn't say entitlement, I'd say it's wanting to see success, not mediocre tripe served up week in week out with no hope of things getting better, to want a manager of the calibre of Wenger should be the want of all fans and should not be laughed at, because at the moment it seems we are settling with small time, manager, players, playing style (if you can call it that), the way we handle windows, it's all like amature hour quite frankly.

But a lightweight who has skill over one who basically only touches the ball when it is a free kick or corner. He never looks to have the ball any other time, watch him when we have a throw he makes sure he can't have the ball and its the same in open play he hides. Soon as we get a dead ball he's on it like a tramp on cold chips as it's a free stat.

Hourihane according to the recorded figures touched the ball more than any other villa player today, as he did the game before, and then the game before that as well so a strange criticism to say he never touches the ball. I’m not saying he has played well but I just get annoyed with baseless criticism of players.

Last edited:
Laugh all you want and I wouldn't say entitlement, I'd say it's wanting to see success, not mediocre tripe served up week in week out with no hope of things getting better, to want a manager of the calibre of Wenger should be the want of all fans and should not be laughed at, because at the moment it seems we are settling with small time, manager, players, playing style (if you can call it that), the way we handle windows, it's all like amature hour quite frankly.

I'm not laughing. And to clarify, by entitlement, I was thinking more about how many on here have been hammering our transfer business this window, the fact we have spent so much since relegation, etc. and yet expect us to be top six or better.

I don't agree we are settling for small time, we ARE small time. The club has been monumentally fucked over in the last 5 or 6 years (arguably longer) and never mind our "Proud History", we are currently no better than a mid-table club in the second tier of English football.

In signing a coach with experience at this level and a track record of building teams greater than the sum of their parts, promoting young players if they are deserving and making astute signings without breaking the bank, the new owners are at least showing a willingness to change the wasteful and destructive approach of the past few years.

If we are still in this position in 12 months time, I will be happy to admit that Dean Smith was not the coach we'd hoped. But until he's had the summer window and the chance to really make his mark on the squad, I am giving him some leeway.

Hourihane according to the recorded figures touched the ball more than any other villa player today, as he did the game before, and then the game before that as well so a strange criticism to say he never touches the ball. I’m not saying he has played well but I just get annoyed with baseless criticism of players.

Sorry mate I get annoyed with meaningless stats, I prefer to say what I see .

This. When you start to accept mediocrity you become mediocre. We’re Aston Villa. Middle of div 2 is NOT good enough. And if that’s entitlement, if fans of lesser clubs can’t hack that, that’s fine by me. We should strive for excellence in every aspect of what we do. If that means we talk about wenger or morinho rather than someone who’s doing well in the unibond, then great.

I'm not laughing. And to clarify, by entitlement, I was thinking more about how many on here have been hammering our transfer business this window, the fact we have spent so much since relegation, etc. and yet expect us to be top six or better.

I don't agree we are settling for small time, we ARE small time. The club has been monumentally fucked over in the last 5 or 6 years (arguably longer) and never mind our "Proud History", we are currently no better than a mid-table club in the second tier of English football.

In signing a coach with experience at this level and a track record of building teams greater than the sum of their parts, promoting young players if they are deserving and making astute signings without breaking the bank, the new owners are at least showing a willingness to change the wasteful and destructive approach of the past few years.

If we are still in this position in 12 months time, I will be happy to admit that Dean Smith was not the coach we'd hoped. But until he's had the summer window and the chance to really make his mark on the squad, I am giving him some leeway.

Well if you actually read my post properly you would see I'm not calling for Smith to be sacked, I said if and in the future because at the rate he is going he isn't going to last long regardless, I'm waiting for him to get this shower of shite gone out of the club and get his own players in but I am worried that what he will bring in will be the type like Lambert brought in ie Bowery, Westwood, Tonev etc. Sorry for having high ambitions, may as well support the sty if you think we're small time.

WTF have you been smoking...?!

Also I think we are guarenteed to lose Grealish in the summer beacuse we certainly aren't going up and Smith needs to have a bloody good look around at players because currently Grealish is irreplaceable and I don't think he will be able to get a player of similar quality in. The Hause signing troubles me.