RB or CM? | Vital Football

RB or CM?

Luke Imp

Alert Team
Staff member
I think it's fair to say we could be about to find out where DC sees our weakness - with Wood at RB or Power at CM, or neither being an issue?

We're light in the full back area now i.e. we have one RB and one LB with no back-up, so you'd think it'd be wise to strengthen there. If that happened, would he then release Wood into CM again or do we think he'd be content with Power in there, with Wood remaining at RB and purely signing a back-up full back (which I imagine would be the harder task - after all, who wants to sign as a back-up - certainly not a decent loan player).

Has to be a RB. We have plenty of cover at CM, especially when Miles is back as we hope he will be shortly. Never stint on the defence - you will always pay for it later.

I think Wood will drop to RB for the forseeable. Ideally we need a player that cover RB,LB and CH and is happy to be on the bench. Is Matt Bloomer still playing?

I have to agree with Notty, we have good cover for midfield so a full back should be the priority. Our only other defenders are McCombe and Howe, both centre backs and one is out on loan. Do we have any prospects in the youth system who play full back?

SIMJON - 26/10/2016 17:37

I think Wood will drop to RB for the forseeable. Ideally we need a player that cover RB,LB and CH and is happy to be on the bench. Is Matt Bloomer still playing?
 Agreed, a jobbing, competent defensive utility player would be very useful atm.

Rob the Imp - 26/10/2016 17:39

I have to agree with Notty, we have good cover for midfield so a full back should be the priority. Our only other defenders are McCombe and Howe, both centre backs and one is out on loan. Do we have any prospects in the youth system who play full back?
 A couple I believe... Fixter and Anderson (could be wrong on the names). One played against Gainsborough in the friendly I believe.

He has to find cover for the two full backs, no question. Wood is now back there permanently, I would suggest. We have options in midfield - Miles is due back within 10 days, and it sounds like Power did himself no harm last night. We also have Whitehouse and Hawkridge on the bench, so no real worries in there. The question in my mind is whether the acquisition of a replacement defender will be at the expense of the striker we have been looking for.

The only other option is to recall Howe and see if he can play left or right back, but that would be a really long shot.

Miles must be getting very close to a return to the squad as he was doing a lot running pre-match with one of the fitness team.
A defender of some description is required that's for sure as we only 5 at the club currently.

Put similar in the Beevers thread. Cover for both full backs has to be priority. Can't see there being much left in the budget though. Perhaps a loanee?

Dreaming of McAuley - 26/10/2016 18:38

Rob the Imp - 26/10/2016 17:39

A couple I believe... Fixter and Anderson (could be wrong on the names). One played against Gainsborough in the friendly I believe.
Thanks. I wonder if we might see one of the two on the bench on Saturday?

Want a right-back and Wood to go back to CM.

Ideally an old head on loan... don't want much I guess(!)