Rate the ref v Wycombe Wanderers | Vital Football

Rate the ref v Wycombe Wanderers

Jamesimp

Vital Squad Member
Tomorrow nights massive game is being reffed by John Brooks, the last time he was at Sincil Bank we beat Chesterfield.

David Coote 8.83
Lee Collins 7.17
Scott Oldham 7.16
Darren England 7.13
Andy Woolmer 7.00
Nicholas Kinseley 6.90
Trevor Kettle (2) 6.75
Eddie Ilderton (2) 6.61
Craig Hicks (2) 6.58
Kevin Johnson 6.39
John Busby 6.28
Martin Coy 5.88
Antony Coggins 5.81
Carl Boyeson (2) 5.54
Gavin Ward 5.41
Graham Salisbury 5.16
David Webb 5.08
John Brooks 4.94
Robert Jones 4.71
Robert Lewis 4.43
Tom Neild (2) 3.79
Darren Handley 3.69
Graham Horwood (2) 3.68
Anthony Backhouse 3.61
Andy Haines 3.58
Sebastian Stocksbridge (4) 3.54
Ross Joyce (2) 3.30
Brett Huxtable 2.92
Chris Sarginson 2.06

Well I'm guessing this guy isn't going to make the top 5 of our table! It must of been very frustrating trying to stop there constant time wasting/game killing tactics, yes there keeper did from minute one, but he did it cleverly. He hasn't got to run after the ball, he hasn't got to throw it back directly to there player, you can't make a player get up straight away after a challenge, you can add all the time on wich being around 14 minutes is a fair amount to add on. Thing is it doesn't stop them killing the game. Then we go to the dissallowed goal, the offside is down to the lino, yes you cn overule him but unless you are dead level and actually looking for it you're not going to overule a nuetral official. Then Rheady's supposed push, well his arms were straight out as he went to header it, he was probably steadying himself but it what it looks like that matters. Anderson's penalty shout for me was borderline, he won the race for the ball but then seemed to collide with the defender, anyway I'll give him probably the highest mark he'll get

4/10

Weak, ineffective and let a team time waste and spoil to a point I can only remember once before seeing to such levels in over 30 years of watching The Imps.

Took me back to the Beck days "Shudder" I take back what I said on a previous thread I would most definitely not have Ainsworth manage here, I couldn't watch that shite week in week out

1/10

Very difficult game to ref but needed to be stronger - allowed Wycombe to get away with far too much time-wasting & play acting. Seemed to be quite a few decisions on FKs that went the opposite way than I expected from what I saw. 3/10.

Very poor, we often say that, followed by well it didn’t affect the result but I feel it did last night. I think I’m right in saying that this guy refs league one and championship games which is a surprise.
Where to start....allowed Wycombe to waste time from minute one, I know everyone does it including us when necessary but I’ve never seen anyone get away with it so much. A guy near me said that we only played 2mins extra in the first half even though 6mins were indicated?
So many wrong decisions with free kicks, gaining ground at throw ins etc
Very harsh disallowed goal for Rheady, if that was a fk then we should have had 2pens for other challenges
He seemed to thrive on winding up the partisan home fans
I hope we don’t see him again this season
1/10

Shame he didn't crack down on the time wasting right from the start. That was awful to watch. I paid to watch 90 minutes of football not 40! Very poor and completely "played" by Wycombe. Would I have Ainsworth as a manager back here? No chance

1/10

I can’t ever remember a team time wasting from the kick off st Sincil Bank before. But it shows how worried Wycombe were of us that they needed to play as least football as they could. A few needed booking for it in first 15 mins, that would of cured them.
0.5/10 for bothering to turn up.

I can’t ever remember a team time wasting from the kick off st Sincil Bank before. But it shows how worried Wycombe were of us that they needed to play as least football as they could. A few needed booking for it in first 15 mins, that would of cured them.
0.5/10 for bothering to turn up.

I can - Cambridge in about 2009, or thereabouts. I think they nicked a goal and won, but started time-wasting from literally the first minute and throw-in.

As to the ref, sub-par and 3/10 from me.

I don't have a problem with Wycombe time wasting at all as that is their prerogative. I do have an issue with a weak ineffectual referee who was completely passive to what was going on and it was his fault that the game was ruined as a spectacle as he could and should have stopped it; reducing it to manageable levels. His decision making on the big incidents was questionable and he quite frankly had no control because he failed to impose himself early on. 2/10

1/10
One big decision he did get right was not giving Harry a pen, it was a clear dive from where I was sitting (no idea why he didn't go on and take a pop at goal). Bigger pen shout, for me, was Rhead being hauled down by 2 arms around his neck in the first half.
As for the time wasting. I appreciate every side does it, and its part of the game. However, the referee can cut it out straight away, book someone don't warn them half a dozen times. Didn't happen, but I wonder how tolerant he would have been had we got in front and started playing those tricks later on, I suspect not very.
As usual, the Co-op side Lino was an absolute joke, and not sure the other fella was much better.

1/10
One big decision he did get right was not giving Harry a pen, it was a clear dive from where I was sitting (no idea why he didn't go on and take a pop at goal). Bigger pen shout, for me, was Rhead being hauled down by 2 arms around his neck in the first half.
As for the time wasting. I appreciate every side does it, and its part of the game. However, the referee can cut it out straight away, book someone don't warn them half a dozen times. Didn't happen, but I wonder how tolerant he would have been had we got in front and started playing those tricks later on, I suspect not very.
As usual, the Co-op side Lino was an absolute joke, and not sure the other fella was much better.

No he wasn’t!

The time wasting issue, was what annoyed me most, from the first minute to the last, and especially when Akinfenwa walks from the D on the 18 yard line to the halfway line dugouts and sits on the side of the pitch for 4 to 5 minutes. He then goes off and on and off again and with the substitution, the added time is shown as only 5 minutes, the referee then blows the whistle after two minutes, he was conned all the game and was weak on this aspect, however, some of the other major decisions he got right on that basis.

I give him 3.5 out of 10

Sorry for the long post, but worth looking at in more detail.

I had the luxury of watching the iFollow footage today with advance warning of the main controversial incidents, which I have replayed several times.

1) Frecklington disallowed goal: Rhead was level at worst - goal should have been allowed, although it was the linesman who gave it offside.

2) Rhead disallowed goal: this is a difficult one because the film isn't clear. Rhead definitely jumps with his hands down at his side, so it is difficult to see how he could have pushed Jacobson first without a speed and sleight of hand akin to Paul Daniels in his heyday. Jacobson also goes down with his hands above his head, which I feel is always a hallmark of a dive. I think Rhead knocks Jacobson out of the way with his body, not his hands. Inconclusive, though.

3) Anderson penalty incident: Anderson slows down and appears to veer slightly sideways into the path of the defender behind him, so no penalty. Why didn't he just go for goal instead? Silly.

Conclusion: one game-changing incident that he clearly got wrong, although that was the fault of the linesman.

The main niggle I have with the ref is his inability to do anything about the time wasting. The goalkeeper took between 19 and 29 seconds to take every goal kick (I timed them all) from the moment he picked up the ball to the moment he kicked it. The pattern was always the same: collect ball very slowly, wave arms in the direction of team mates, return to six-yard box very slowly, place ball on six-yard line, walk slowly backwards to goal line, wave arms in the direction of team mates again, wait a more few seconds, then kick ball.

The ref actually has a word with the goalkeeper about his time wasting after 39 minutes and clearly indicates that is what the warning is for. He then permits the goalkeeper to continue doing it for the next 51 minutes without a whimper.

Throw-ins also followed a pattern: one player collects the ball slowly and passes it eventually to the one taking the throw-in; player picks up ball, takes several paces forward, gestures at team mates for no apparent reason, takes a few more steps forward, goes to throw the ball, stops, gestures at team mates again, waits a few seconds, then throws it.

All very deliberate, and very orchestrated.

Reaction from the ref: nil.

I calculate time to be added on at the end of the first half as 9 minutes, and 8 in the second half including substitutions.

He also booked Marcus Bean for what looked like a perfectly good tackle.

Overall, not as bad as the 1/10 being given on here by most, but pretty incompetent generally.

4/10, mainly for allowing himself to be played like a violin.

Totally and utterly inept, 0.1 / 10. Would give him a minus, but without him and his Officials there would be no game !

3 for me.

You saw what happened when Allsop went down at Wembley.Spoken to by the ref straightaway ! Got up and didnt go down again.Presumed he was threatened with a booking or worse.

I would like to give him a minus score but a big round 0 and I'm being generous with that. 9000 people singing 'you don't know what your doing' on a number of occasions says it all for me.

I think he had come to watch the match and went in the referees changing room by mistake were he left his guide dog to mind his white stick. I loved the way he told their players were to take throw ins from then gave them the thumbs up sign. Once he had done that they then proceeded to run at least ten yards before eventually taking the throw.
All joking aside he helped a team that came to spoil and waste time to achieve their goal. It is time for all refs to be full time in the football league . I give him a kind 0 out of ten.

Still can't quite believe that no one was booked for time wasting during the game. Small mercies but I'm just glad Wycombe didn't go one up, can you imagine the spectical if they had...
I suppose you could argue that Wycombe had a game plan and you can't blame them for it, but surely part of the refs job is to make sure a game of football actually breaks out for the 9,000 spectators. Given he failed in this most basic of requirements I can only really score him a 1/10.