Rate the ref v MK Dons (home) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Rate the ref v MK Dons (home)

Just seen Arse v Everton on MOTD2, erroneously gave a goal similar to the disallowed one yesterday. A few niggles but overall, ref and linos were very good.

Agree with others - 8/10
You could see he was used to reffing at a higher level. Calm and authoritative, didn't stand any nonsense from anyone, tried really hard to let the game flow and for football to be played, but on the whole the cards were necessary and well judged. Worked well with assistants as a team too.

Had a good rapport with the players. Was a bit lenient with Lewington when he tried to get O'Connor sent off. He must have clocked that he was already on a yellow. Ended up with smiles all round though, so no harm done. 9/10

Best I've seen anywhere (in a match involving the Imps) in years and years. Excellent team work and extremely well controlled throughout.
Funny how the FL paper gave him a mere 6/10 which, I think, would have been given by Mark Whiley who wrote the excellent match report in that rag.

9.5/10 from me.

Have to agree with everyone and thought he was really good. The best referees are the ones that don't get noticed. He was calm, unflustered and had complete control of the game - but in a way that allowed it to flow really well and made for what was a really good game to watch.

Given (I believe) that many (all?) lower league referees are only part-time this was a perfect argument for what turning them professional could achieve...... as I am sure we will see in the next few weeks as we are not going to be this

Did spot that he made the trip to London the following day and was 4th official in the West Ham Chelsea game.

Have to agree with everyone and thought he was really good. The best referees are the ones that don't get noticed. He was calm, unflustered and had complete control of the game - but in a way that allowed it to flow really well and made for what was a really good game to watch.

Given (I believe) that many (all?) lower league referees are only part-time this was a perfect argument for what turning them professional could achieve...... as I am sure we will see in the next few weeks as we are not going to be this

Did spot that he made the trip to London the following day and was 4th official in the West Ham Chelsea game.
The week before our game he was in charge at Man City v Fulham and tonight he is in charge at Man. Utd v Derby.

I agree with this.

FT refs for a FT league. Been saying it for ages (think we had a thread on here discussing it the other month).

I agree with this.

FT refs for a FT league. Been saying it for ages (think we had a thread on here discussing it the other month).

If these guys are going to give up there day job to be offered say a two year contract there probably going to need to earn say what £50k a year, as they won't know what happens next, if they don't get the marks and lose the chance of any further contracts its a risky proposition. 'If' they make a critical mistake and there contracts are terminated then they have to find employment again so I can't see it happening further down the reffing food chain. Also I reckon the officials probably already cost around a thousand pound a game, if this say doubles because they are all pros can the clubs afford this?

If these guys are going to give up there day job to be offered say a two year contract there probably going to need to earn say what £50k a year, as they won't know what happens next, if they don't get the marks and lose the chance of any further contracts its a risky proposition. 'If' they make a critical mistake and there contracts are terminated then they have to find employment again so I can't see it happening further down the reffing food chain. Also I reckon the officials probably already cost around a thousand pound a game, if this say doubles because they are all pros can the clubs afford this?
Fair. All about risk/reward for them but in my opinion, being FT would help the quality of reffing and, in theory, lower the risk of not 'making it'.

There are mistakes every week at all levels, don't get me wrong, it's just the frequency and/or obviousness of them that seems to get higher as you go down the leagues. I don't think it's too much of a coincidence that FT refs, the ones we've had who come from a higher level, are noticeably better (allowing for some people just not being very good at their job) . Atwell at the weekend being an instance of that, albeit at the extreme level of being a PL ref for a while now.

As an example, I don't think it's right to expect guys who have normal jobs, who've maybe been up since 6am, to then travel and hour or two after work and be expected to be at peak concentration and fitness levels (fitness as in, tired body = tired mind rather than their ability to keep up with play) to officiate an FL game between two FT sides.

Last Saturday was the first time this season I've seen a lino actually up with play in front of the coop.
The contrast with the lino from the Crawley game in front of the coop was massive, he was 30+ yards behind at time making it impossible for him to give offsides.

Last Saturday was the first time this season I've seen a lino actually up with play in front of the coop.
The contrast with the lino from the Crawley game in front of the coop was massive, he was 30+ yards behind at time making it impossible for him to give offsides.

I would of thought the higher you go, the harder the fitness test, they are still pretty fit though, when the balls played through try keeping up with Andrade whilst looking side ways onto the pitch!