Rate the ref v Grimsby Town (Home) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Rate the ref v Grimsby Town (Home)

5 because of the red, and in his defence he seemed to be up with play more than I'm used to.

Too many cards, it was not that sort of game, better than lots but the bar is very low ! Got the pen right. 6/10

4/10

Card happy and inconsistent in the application of cards. Definitely second yellow required for foul on the edge. Freck should have been booked.

5/10
Got the red right. Should probably have shown another late on, but did get it right in not giving a pen.
But, definitely not a game for as many cards as he gave. Competitive and reasonably fair from both sides. Far too many soft free kicks.
I'm going to downgrade to 4.
After seeing the highlights I don't think the red card was the correct decision.

Didn't let the game flow. Too picky. Dished out more cards than Royal Mail at Christmas.

Danny wanted a professional full time referee and quite frankly I have seen better from the part time ones.

A rather average 5

You can see why he is a Top level referee. There was no doubt who was in charge. He set his stall out from minute one and was consistent throughout. He spotted the possibility of time wasting early in the first half, hurrying up Smith and booking Toffolo when he took an age to take a free kick and added four minutes of extra time in the first half.

He would get a 9/10 for that.

However, you can see why he is one of the less popular Top Level referees. Over fussy and only too delighted to wave a card for even the smallest infringement. His yellow card looked faded from overuse.

His empathy for the game about 3/10.

So overall 6/10

He reffed it like a Prem game and technically got most decisions correct .... but for a L2 derby game that was relatively tame the amount of yellows was excessive.

I think the Red was harsh on McKeown and O’Connor was very lucky to escape one after 5 mins for a forearm smash.

That said Dean was in total control from start to finish unlike many at this level (I’ve seen him have far worse games reffing Man City) so no real complaints = 6

I thought he was poor so 4/10. Toffolo booked for spending no longer taking a free kick than their keeper did at 0-0. I agree with the red for the studs showing and feet off the ground, although I felt the keeper was exposed by two poor defenders. I never saw the O'Conner incident but I have heard that the player turned into him, so yellow may have been right. What I couldn't understand is how he fell for some of their antics on falling over and trying to get Akinde sent off. I also thought some of the late attempts at tackling by their defenders and the failure to give a second yellow for the foul on Akinde contributed to an all round poor performance.

Tame match for a Imps Cods derby, how many yellows/ reds would a more thud and blunder game have generated? Too fussy, too much 'I'm Billy Big Bollocks' premiership ref, he should talk more to Stuart Attwell who was so much better it's ridiculous.

Got the red right, bottled 2nd yellow for foul on Akinde.

As has already been said about the over use of yellow cards. Good refs like he is supposed to be shouldn't need to use cards to keep control of the game. He wanted to show that he was the premier league ref. I had high hopes for him today but he was poor. We have had a lot better this season but also a lot worse (Ben Toner) too. 4.

I have to disagree with a lot of people, there was a lot of yellow cards for a relatively tame derby,but the assessor in the stands I think would of agreed with virtually all of them. As for me they were yellow cards, hardly missed a foul, but the Akinde foul ought to have been a second yellow for the Grimsby defender.

The fact it wasn’t a blood and thunder Derby doesn’t take away the fact that if he he is told by the referees association to give a yellow for a particular action,he has to do so.

I thought the red card was spot on.

I didn't hear any chant's of "you don't know what you're doing" so that starts him off on 5. Too many soft yellow cards takes him down to 3, but the red for the keeper and no red for us in the first half means a 6.

Got it badly wrong for both teams. A generous 3.

Too many bookings for both teams for innocuous (first) fouls. Repeated fouls, Yes. But NOT for a slight misjudgement.

The Grimsby 'keeper shouldn't have walked but their centre half should (for the pull on Akinde).

Last edited:
6/10.
Difficult to judge. We wanted a better ref and we got one, in theory. Certainly took charge. Made his intent clear. My early thoughts when he started flashing cards was " someone's goingto go off today". Ido wonder if that was his intention to put everyone on notice and ensure it didn't boil over (he would have been aware of it being a potentially feisty local derby before the game & given our reps for physical play and time wasting?). Not sure about the red - immediate reaction was surprise - thought the keeper had got there first but I'd haveto see it again.

Another incident that seems to have been missed was the one where there number 7 (i think) went over the top on O'Conner. It could have and probably should have been a red. Dean even seemed to hand signal he had gone over the top to one of their players.