Rate the ref v Carlisle United (away) | Vital Football

Rate the ref v Carlisle United (away)

Jamesimp

Vital Squad Member
So the EFL finally announce that Premiershit ref Lee Mason is taking charge of our cup final against Carlisle Utd, here is the write up from Jules https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk...experienced-premier-league-referee-appointed/
If you are going or can catch the whole game please leave your comments and rating as usual

Dean Whitestone 8.96
Stuart Atwell 8.59
Graham Scott 8.53
Nicholas Kinseley 7.94
Scott Duncan 7.78
Gavin Ward 7.55
Scott Oldham 7.29
Craig Hicks 7.21
Graham Salisbury 7.21
Anthony Backhouse 6.98
Sebatian Stockbidge (2) 6.96
Andy Davies 6.87
Paul Marsden (2) 6.78
Martin Coy (2) 6.54
John Busby 6.47
John Brooks (2) 6.45
Geoff Eltringham 6.43
Kevin Johnson 6.18
Dean Whitestone 6.15
Thomas Bramall 6.13
Lee Swabey 5.78
Kevin Richardson 5.71
Matthew Donohue 5.45
David Coote 5.25
Carl Boyeson (2) 5.18
Mike Dean 5.01
Neil Hair 4.78
Peter Wright 4.23
Michael Salisbury (2) 4.17
Andy Haines 4.15
Chris Sarginson 3.89
Brett Huxtable (2) 3.88
Ben Toner (2) 3.67
Anthony Coggins 1.91
Lee Collins 1.44

Oh dear, where do we begin with this Premier League plonker?

Arrogant, inconsistent, rulebound, robotic, ruinous to the game as a spectacle.

Although Shackell should have known better, it was the softest cumulative red card I have ever seen. As Dean said to me on the way out, is there some kind of history between Mason and Shackell? He couldn't wait to send him off and brandished the red like it was the most exciting moment of his life. And did he really have to book Bolger for coming onto the pitch before McCartan was off? Surely that situation is the job of the fourth official to manage (the equally hopeless Seb Stockbridge)? Whatever happened to having a word with a player?

In contrast, how could Thomas only get a yellow for that horrendous challenge on Bostwick? Furthermore, Anderson and Pett were repeatedly flattened all match without Mr Mason batting an eyelid. Harry could barely walk at the end of the game. Ludicrous refereeing.

This idiot is the absolute embodiment of how effectively FIFA has ruined football by having too many rules and turning referees into card-waving daleks. If this is a top referee, God help football.

0/10.

He was awful. Overly officious and a walking rule book without any element of common sense. Some of his 'advantages' were laughable, I can only assume he knows the rules very well but not football based on some of them and where he felt advantages started/ended, or where a team would want or not want a free kick.

I feel like we got very little in the way or 50/50 decisions and Pett must have been fouled 5+ times without getting close to a yellow against?

Unfortunately though, I think he got the red right. Really poor from Shackell who was not his usual self.

3/10

Concur with Scotimp although I will go 2/10 1 for finding the ground 1 for the correct kit. At the time I thought it was 2 yellows so no complaints, my gripe is the inconsistency. How does a substitute player get booked for entering the field of play early, surely the 4th official gave the go ahead? Next time we have a match when there are no Premier games can we please have officials from our own level. I have to pull up Thommo as well you no longer get one for free the days of centre halves letting the forwards know they are there with a crunching tackle are long gone. Thommo said it was a yellow but should have been overlooked, if it is a yellow it is a yellow be it 1st minute or 90th.

Disappointed with Shackell for both challenges, the second was a school boy error after already having a yellow. The first was late and in front of the ref. Other than that the ref was arrogant and inconsistent. He ruined the game as a spectacle by flashing his cards. His team were bloody useless and if this is the standard higher up the FA should be embarrassed. Pett, Bostwick and Harry were assaulted. I think he gave a yellow for the Bozzy one. He ruined my day in the sun. Yellow made him look fat and humourless. 3

1/10. At least he didn't book any players who'd only just entered the field of play and hadn't even started playing......oh wait.

Oh dear, where do we begin with this Premier League plonker?

Arrogant, inconsistent, rulebound, robotic, ruinous to the game as a spectacle.

Although Shackell should have known better, it was the softest cumulative red card I have ever seen. As Dean said to me on the way out, is there some kind of history between Mason and Shackell? He couldn't wait to send him off and brandished the red like it was the most exciting moment of his life. And did he really have to book Bolger for coming onto the pitch before McCartan was off? Surely that situation is the job of the fourth official to manage (the equally hopeless Seb Stockbridge)? Whatever happened to having a word with a player?

In contrast, how could Thomas only get a yellow for that horrendous challenge on Bostwick? Furthermore, Anderson and Pett were repeatedly flattened all match without Mr Mason batting an eyelid. Harry could barely walk at the end of the game. Ludicrous refereeing.

This idiot is the absolute embodiment of how effectively FIFA has ruined football by having too many rules and turning referees into card-waving daleks. If this is a top referee, God help football.

0/10.
You’ve said it all and saved me typing. Absolutely f@@king unless. Can you take four marks from me?
Me - 0
My lad - 0
Paul- Hibs fan 0 - “I thought we had some idiots in Scotland, he’d fit in well. No actually you can keep him”.
Liam - Hearts fan 0 - “thank f we won’t have him in the Cup Final”

I reckon he got the red right, but he could of easily got away without a card on either occasion. Bolger really should know better, but again no real need to yellow him, he wasn't cheating. I cannot remember a 50/50 decision going our way

3/10

Just seen the highlights. The only thing missing from Mason's body posture at the sending off was the cupping of a hand to his top lip. No wonder Danny called him arrogant.

Apparently he asked to sign a programme for a child and refused as it was 2.45 and he was preparing for the game, wtf!

Apparently he asked to sign a programme for a child and refused as it was 2.45 and he was preparing for the game, wtf!
Would be in keeping with how he presented today but I do wonder if refs are told not to engage for fear of being called for bias. I saw somebody ask Mike Dean for a selfie at ours and he refused outright. That said I reckon a Carlisle youngster might have got a look in today had one of them asked.

No, Thommo made that comment about another Prem ref, Mike Dean, who came to Lincoln this season - he was just drawing a comparison with the Prem refs being arrogant after DC's comment.

0/10
I do love refs who understand the game, the importance of the game and are prepared to let it flow, and to have words with players to "man-manage" the game before pulling cards out. Mr Mason, a so-called higher standard referee was none of those things. Upredictable and inconsistent when you look at the treatment Pett, Anderson & Bossie suffered from their players. The Bolger booking, for me, was a reflection of the officials team's pure incompetence to manage the game.

Last edited:
Oh dear. Shocking. Initial yellow for Shackell was a shocker. Not because it wasn’t a foul, it was, just, but any competent referee would have had a quiet word; the card came out far too quickly. As it did for the red a few minutes later. The ref was looking for that opportunity; corrupt or incompetent, you decide. Booking for Bolger, whom hadn’t even touched a ball or had any influence on the game yet, was laughable. This decision went beyond over-officialdom, it was malicious. The removal of Shackell, and instant yellow to his replacement, was designed to hurt Lincoln. This arse should never be allowed to referee again, at any level, or simply just keep him in the premiership, out of harms way. 0/10.

3 - It became about him versus 'Nasty Lincoln', which made him blind to the antics of the home side whilst becoming immersed in petty vendettas. Gets one extra mark for getting the sending off correct.