Rate the ref v Carlisle United (away) | Page 4 | Vital Football

Rate the ref v Carlisle United (away)

Refs are only human. I always wonder what the merits of chanting " the referee's a you know what" are. It would certainly make me think twice about giving a team the 50/50 calls. Maybe why I'm not a ref?:LOL:

I wasn't impressed with the ref yesterday, he was too inconsistent although the cards seemed to be correct but a few more blue shirts could have received yellow cards too. His assistants weren't much better either. 3/10

Different Premier League referee with most probably a different outlook altogether. However I have been at Man City Spurs today and Aguero, Sterling and Fenandinho all got away Scot free with challenges that were far worse than either of Shackells. There could be several explanations for that other than it being a more lenient referee, who knows. What I do know is that the ref kept calm and unflustered even at the end when the home crowd were giving him grief for a few decisions they didn't get. He certainly didn't strut around like a self important traffic warden with a clothes prop fully inserted into one of his cavities.
I thought exactly the same regrading the Man C / Spurs game. Tackles were flying in and if the ref had sent off one of the centre halves for two similar challenges in the 1st half I think Sky would have accused the ref of ruining the game with a soft dismissal. I can accept that they were 2 yellow cards individually but I think they added up to less than the sum of their parts.
Also was I seeing things, but did the assistant flag for a throw when the ball didn't go out 2nd half?
5/10

Also was I seeing things, but did the assistant flag for a throw when the ball didn't go out 2nd half?

No you like many others think you can see better down the line when sat 30 yards back than someone stood on the line at a right angle looking directly down it, even though the Lino's had the appropriate training as well ??

Reckon this must be the longest rate the ref thread this season!
Certainly provoked plenty of debate if nothing else and funds for the club, thank you Mr Mason

No you like many others think you can see better down the line when sat 30 yards back than someone stood on the line at a right angle looking directly down it, even though the Lino's had the appropriate training as well ??
To be fair the officials are always better placed and better trained so why have the thread?

To be fair the officials are always better placed and better trained so why have the thread?
Because we’d comment elsewhere so makes sense to have the ref comments mostly in one place. People can choose whether or not they view or comment. You might be surprised how many people with referee ‘training’ write on here!

5/10

The ball curled out of play and back in again, bouncing on the pitch. To be fair to him, he was leaning forward and looking directly down the line to see if the whole of the ball went out and he may have been the only person in the ground to be able to see for sure.

The ball curled out of play and back in again, bouncing on the pitch. To be fair to him, he was leaning forward and looking directly down the line to see if the whole of the ball went out and he may have been the only person in the ground to be able to see for sure.

I guess that's what I was trying to say, well said ?

Because we’d comment elsewhere so makes sense to have the ref comments mostly in one place. People can choose whether or not they view or comment. You might be surprised how many people with referee ‘training’ write on here!

We both know it's difficult to see if a ball crosses a line unless you're more or less level.

Firstly apologies, looking at my post I may have come across sarcastically. Like I said before, it's a thread to express on the match officials, few of us if any are anywhere near as qualified as them but it gets us talking

So the card was interpretative of that law, given the ball was not in play and entry did not affect the game.

At best a questionable application of the law, at worst the ref was acting like a mofo.

Entering field of play without permission is a cautionable offence.
But is it one where ref must issue a caution or where it is his choice?
Also did Bolger actually enter without permission? The substitution had been declared by 4th official, the referee had accordingly stopped play in order for that substitution to happen and the linesman was administering it. So that's three match officials approving Bolger coming on. Where does "without permission" come into it?

I get that if a manager swaps a player without the officials approving it then there would be cautions for both the player leaving and the player joining but Bolger was being subbed with permission surely?

Also those who of us who have never been referees at any level, nevertheless we can see when a ref gets it right and when they don't. Mason didn't get it right.

Isn't it about time they stopped naming referees at all? They removed the home location of the referee a long time ago in order to preclude accusations of bias, but surely they have to take the egotistical temptation away from these self-important clowns? Mason strutted around the pitch as if he thought 6,819 people had paid to see him. I think he came into this game determined to show these lower league cloggers how they do it properly in the Premier League; perhaps he even felt insulted by being given a League Two match and was determined to ruin it? Who knows? I may be clutching at straws, but there has to be a reason why his behaviour was so erratic.

He has actually had a spell suspended from Premier League refs this season for being error strewn.
Keith Hackett rated him as one of the worst refs he'd seen.
And i think it may well come to light that there has indeed been previous between him and Shackell.

We carried on into Scotland to go to a Lowland League game on Easter Saturday.
Referee was a vast vast improvement on Mason. Played excellent advantages several times, issued only one yellow late on. When two players started squaring up, just yelled "get on with the game" at them and kept play going uninterrupted.
Far far better.

Football Disciplinary Update: Yellow and red cards to be issued to managers from 2018/19
31 July 2018

Large

From the start of the 2018/19 season, yellow and red cards will be issued by match officials for misconduct committed in the technical area during English Football League fixtures and cup competitions.

Just looked on the EFL website to see how many of our 43 games had been spoilt by a red card and came across this.

Can't imagine why they have used this picture. I am sure its just a coincidence, the referees favourite club are pictured. No preconceived thoughts or bias intended.

I've watched it over and over again and my view hasn't changed from when I saw it live. The first was a mistimed challenge and in my opinion, a warning at most.

Then following a warning the first, the second should, in my opinion, be the first booking.
You realise mistimed tackles are often yellow cards?

This thread should really be called 'rate how pro imps the ref was'... as if we had been on the Carlisle end of the decisions people would have been agreeing with the red card and laughing at the player for coming on the pitch before he was supposed to... and giving 8/10.