Rate the ref v Carlisle United (away) | Page 3 | Vital Football

Rate the ref v Carlisle United (away)

From the live radio I’d have given 2/10. Having watched the full replay and the main incidents 2, 3 times i’m afraid the ref got it right with Shackell. He also got the yellow for Bolger right. You don’t just run onto the pitch.

Where I mark him down a little is inconsistency. The studs up foul by Thomas on Bostwick could have got a red but only got a yellow.

Lincoln City are a league 1 professional team next season. We ought to know the rules.

5/10

I've watched it over and over again and my view hasn't changed from when I saw it live. The first was a mistimed challenge and in my opinion, a warning at most.

Then following a warning the first, the second should, in my opinion, be the first booking.

I've watched it over and over again and my view hasn't changed from when I saw it live. The first was a mistimed challenge and in my opinion, a warning at most.

Lunging, studs up late tackles, especially in dangerous areas of the pitch (Carlisle almost scored from the free kick) are bound to be bookings. It could not be clearer.

In the nicest possible way I can ask this Jules - how many matches do you watch that don't involve Lincoln City, because that would be a booking 99 out of a 100 times.

On the 100th time the ref would be unsighted.

Lunging, studs up late tackles, especially in dangerous areas of the pitch (Carlisle almost scored from the free kick) are bound to be bookings. It could not be clearer.

In the nicest possible way I can ask this Jules - how many matches do you watch that don't involve Lincoln City, because that would be a booking 99 out of a 100 times.

On the 100th time the ref would be unsighted.

I've been to quite a few matches that Lincoln haven't been involved with this season, as I have done the last few years.

In those matches, I've witnessed many challenges like that with just a foul given.

Two debatable yellows, but no consistency- they should have had a book full of yellows if so. The challenge on Bossie was very similar to Frecks v Crawley. The challenge on Anderson being orange? Just how far does a player need to be kicked for a red, disproportionate force. Woeful performance from someone who thinks League 2 is beneath him, please keep him away from League 1 too

Then following a warning the first, the second should, in my opinion, be the first booking.

You may well see it better if you took your red n white rose tinted glasses off. In real time I thought it was a yellow, poor challenge.

You may well see it better if you took your red n white rose tinted glasses off. In real time I thought it was a yellow, poor challenge.

I'm not wearing them!

You have your opinion and I have mine. We're all entitled to them.

I have no issue with the cards. Quite lazy challenges from one of our players of the season. The first one could have easily have been a red. Bostwick was fortunate not to be sent off at MK Dons and by the sound of it was fortunate again yesterday.

It is easy to blame a ref of whom is probably wondering why he has been given a non premier league gig and has forgotten perhaps that it is anything but poncey football, that the Premier League attracts.

Shackell didn't have ti make the first challenge....and being on a yellow, he certainly should not have made the second one.

I know it is all about interpretation and in live time from different angles there will always be room for interpretation, but for me, the studs didn't come into play until after the tackle. Shackell's leading leg is in front of the player, who stands on Shackell's foot and turns it studs up and the trailing leg is knee first. It was definitely a foul and I can see how from behind how the ref chose to give a yellow, but I still think it was harsh.

Regardless of the studs, I presume he was claiming that it was reckless, but again, I saw it as mistimed.

I suppose though, that it wouldn't have mattered if Shackell hadn't put his arms around the player for the second when he knew he was already on a yellow.

All water under the bridge now.

Last edited:
Consistency is the word for me too, we expect it from league two refs and certainly expected it from this guy. Shack’s two yellows you could probably argue both ways, we’d all be shouting for them the other way, but if they were given for those challenges then we would have expected probably another ten cards to be shown throughout the game. Similar or worse challenges didn’t even warrant a talking to according to this guy.
Most good refs try to avoid giving cards where possible, just have a word,certainly when someone is already on a yellow but this guy seemed to have made his mind up that he wanted to make a name for himself
Didn’t give us much at all with the 50/50 decisions
1/10

Both Shackell's yellows were dubious mind and if the last one was a sending of my c0cks a kipper!!!

Holding a player back to prevent a counter attack is a yellow card in every professional league in Europe.

Without the pull back the Carlisle player would have been running directly through the centre towards our goal, and with our centre half out of the game.

I forced myself to listen to equally (but opposite) biased Cumbrian interpretations of events, during live commentary and I do wonder if people take leave of their senses concerning their own team.

During the heat of a game I understand it, and fall victim to it myself. But in the cold light of day it does make me wonder where reason has gone.

This is football - reason & rationality go out of the window - to quote Bill Shankly:

'Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that'.

I'm not saying Shackell shouln't have gone, and I can see why both challenges earned yellows. But, that early in the game an experienced ref would have had a word in Shackell's ear to put him on notice, especially knowing he was an experienced pro and captain. The pull-back was a definite yellow. My argument was purely against the ref's whole standard and approach to reffing the game for a so-called top-line ref. Simply shocking.

But, that early in the game an experienced ref would have had a word in Shackell's ear to put him on notice, especially knowing he was an experienced pro and captain.

Before that, he'd already booked Carlisle's Gerrard for a bodycheck on McCartan on the halfway line.

Before that, he'd already booked Carlisle's Gerrard for a bodycheck on McCartan on the halfway line.

Exactly - it was basically the same foul. So you book one and then what, not book the other? The referee may have been a tit but his cards for fouls in the first half were consistent and I'd argue spot on.

I had high hopes when I heard he was the ref. How wrong I was, another little Hitler. A classic homer, the Carlisle fans loved him and he thrived on that. Maybe we should adopt that attitude for home games, clap and cheer every decision. It certainly worked for them yesterday with his giant ego.
1/10.

Different Premier League referee with most probably a different outlook altogether. However I have been at Man City Spurs today and Aguero, Sterling and Fenandinho all got away Scot free with challenges that were far worse than either of Shackells. There could be several explanations for that other than it being a more lenient referee, who knows. What I do know is that the ref kept calm and unflustered even at the end when the home crowd were giving him grief for a few decisions they didn't get. He certainly didn't strut around like a self important traffic warden with a clothes prop fully inserted into one of his cavities.

I'll finish this tomorrow morning in time for Monday's game. Please note a minus score doesn't count, it's classed as zero