Rate the ref v Carlisle United (away) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Rate the ref v Carlisle United (away)

The two Shackell challenges, his only two, were probably the softest two of the match, yet both had instant yellows brandished. I think the speculation above that the ref has encountered Shackell previously will be proved correct. He simply couldn't wait to get him red-carded at the earliest possible moment.
Bolger's card was un-necessary. 4th official had declared the substitution, linesman done his check, play is halted anyway. I thought a booking was for entering the field of play without permission, Bolger did have permission, surely? Petty from Mason.

Appalling challenge on Bossie and at the end a full blown assault on Anderson both failed to attract reds.
How is Lee Mason a referee at all? Perhaps the biggest clue is his surname...

Oh and obviously a zero from me
And a zero from Mrs Buckielugger too.

1/10 for getting there without being stuck in traffic. Otherwise, what an awful display from an alleged Premier League ref.

Isn't it about time they stopped naming referees at all? They removed the home location of the referee a long time ago in order to preclude accusations of bias, but surely they have to take the egotistical temptation away from these self-important clowns? Mason strutted around the pitch as if he thought 6,819 people had paid to see him. I think he came into this game determined to show these lower league cloggers how they do it properly in the Premier League; perhaps he even felt insulted by being given a League Two match and was determined to ruin it? Who knows? I may be clutching at straws, but there has to be a reason why his behaviour was so erratic.

The Rate the Ref feature should really be scrapped as practically nobody can view it with any objectivity at all.

How the hell could anyone, who has watched any football, think that either of Shackell's challenges weren't guaranteed yellows?

FFS, he was lucky not to get a straight red for the first oneView attachment 32529View attachment 32530
He just missed the ball for the first one and the second one was very soft.

However, if those two were guaranteed yellows, how could the dangerous fouls on Anderson and Bostwick not be guaranteed reds?

However, if those two were guaranteed yellows, how could the dangerous fouls on Anderson and Bostwick not be guaranteed reds?
He pulled him back, unfortunately for us it was a yellow.

Does anyone have clips of the Anderson or Bostwick challenges?

He pulled him back, unfortunately for us it was a yellow.

Does anyone have clips of the Anderson or Bostwick challenges?

Maybe they'll be on the extended highlights. The Anderson one looked like one of those "orange" cards to me, similar to the Shackell one. The Bostwick incident was obscured on the video feed. I don't see how anyone can pass judgement on it who wasn't behind that goal but it was another where the player in possession overruns the ball.

Oh come on be realistic, the first was a late challenge, yes he could of had a stern word instead, but it's certainly worthy of a yellow dependent on the temperature of the match. In this case he could of let it go but didn't. After seeing the second one again I'm disappointed with Shacks, he's a vastly experienced player and really should know better.

From what I saw from the extended highlights:

* Both Shackell cards were correct and deserved.
* The foul on Bostwick was a yellow.
* Bostwick was lucky to only get a yellow.
* The Bolger card was ridiculous.
* Anderson foul was not included.

Btw, what rule makes coming on too early a bookable offence?

The Rate the Ref feature should really be scrapped as practically nobody can view it with any objectivity at all.

Do you think any refs take any notice of this topic? I mean for starters we've gathered now that we're biased for our own team and want all the decisions our own way, also the co-op linesman is rubbish every game (unless he upsets the opposition). When it's all said and done it's an opportunity for us all to vent our spleen and Posh to correct our grammar. ?

Last edited:
Do you think any refs take any notice of this topic? I mean for starters we've gathered now that we're biased for our own team and want all the decisions our own way, also the co-op linesman is rubbish every game (unless he upsets the opposition). When it's all said and it's an opportunity for us all to vent our spleen and Posh to correct our grammar. ?

Haha. I doubt any referees read anything on Vital Lincoln...

From what I saw from the extended highlights:

* Both Shackell cards were correct and deserved.
* The foul on Bostwick was a yellow.
* Bostwick was lucky to only get a yellow.
* The Bolger card was ridiculous.
* Anderson foul was not included.

Btw, what rule makes coming on too early a bookable offence?

Entering or re-entering the field of play without the referees permission. If you went off for treatment and came on without the nod and challenged for the ball for example. No-one seems to be questioning Bolgers unprofessionalism on this which gives me the opportunity to use a very big word.

Entering or re-entering the field of play without the referees permission. If you went off for treatment and came on without the nod and challenged for the ball for example. No-one seems to be questioning Bolgers unprofessionalism on this which gives me the opportunity to use a very big word.

So the card was interpretative of that law, given the ball was not in play and entry did not affect the game.

At best a questionable application of the law, at worst the ref was acting like a mofo.

Exactly so what harm is it doing? I was once a grass roots ref and find both informative and amusing at times.

Not doing me any harm. And the site likes clicks. It would be very odd if we didn't have a thread about the referee.

So the card was interpretative of that law, given the ball was not in play and entry did not affect the game.

At best a questionable application of the law, at worst the ref was acting like a mofo.

You also have to take into account this is a football league game. Sorry but Bolger should know the laws a lot better. I'm guessing he had to run around the 4th official as well to get on the pitch, like I said before the card really wasn't necessary.

You also have to take into account this is a football league game. Sorry but Bolger should know the laws a lot better. I'm guessing he had to run around the 4th official as well to get on the pitch, like I said before the card really wasn't necessary.

Yep referee was just being an officious prick. He was right on everything else though, from what I've seen.