Rate the Ref : Marc Edwards Lincoln v Charlton 27.09.2020 | Vital Football

Rate the Ref : Marc Edwards Lincoln v Charlton 27.09.2020

sedgleyimp

Vital Champions League
The man in lime green today was Marc Edwards. How do you think he did. Ratings out of 10 and comments if you please.

I'll run this one until Wednesday evening as we've got a free midweek for a change

6. OK, but became fussy and seemed to be about to play advantage, but didn't come back to give free kick even though no advantage appeared within a second or 2.

I know he wasn’t popular but I do feel first half he was actually fine, probably an 8 - couple of mistakes but was willing to trust his judgement.

Think it was a pen. Not so sure about the free kick but not the first ref to fall for it from Hopper.

2nd half he did go card happy and a couple of decisions won’t be popular but there was nothing game changing (well technically everything is game changing).

6.5/10

5/10. First half. Thought he was good, but got worse as the game wore on got card happy in the second half & overly fussy.

Too many mistakes and too fussy to be a great ref. He was sold too many free kicks and played advantage inconsistently. If par is 5 then I claim par.

One of the easiest games he'll ever have but inconsistent at times with use of advantage and with his cards. Allowed Charlton to dictate pace of the game by delaying restart several times in first half. Frustrating when he booked Johnson for same thing late on.

I'm going to give him a decent 6.
Thought it was a penalty and he did well to spot it in real time as watching via stream I didn't, but their defender was dragging Hopper back.
The goal after the save he's done the right thing in going to the linesman who is in a better position to say yes or no to the offside and has gone with that decision.
Did think he got very picky late on and if you're going to spray a white line make the defenders stand on/behind it not a good couple of feet ahead of it as they were doing frequently.
Overall we have and will have worse

I actually think Brett Huxtable, who refereed last weekends match at MK Don's gave a better performance. He gave free kick after free kick which weren't. I would think Charlton would be mildly disappointed about the first goal, which I think from memory, was imagined foul on Hopper for free kick, followed by imagined foul on Hopper for a penalty.
He gave similar but less costly decisions against Lincoln. He had no authority nor could distinguish what was a yellow card and what wasn't, so made sure he had that covered by waving his card at nearly every foul in the second half.

We started off with a couple of good refs in first few games but the standard has plummeted in the last two league games.

3.5/10

5. Real mixed bag, got the key decision right, but too fussy and inconsistent, letting things go first half then yellow carding everything in sight late on.

Can’t believe the standard of the refs that are in EFL 1 to date He was poor so 4 from me. Not as bad as the one in our last home match though. Surely there must be better out there.

First half he was really good. The free kick that led to our penalty was for a handball and whilst it was ball to hand their player had his arm out. The current rules mean that is handball so he got it right. Penalty was correct.

Second half he seemed to ignore fouls while yellowing for others, play advantages that weren't there which brought his mark right down.

Not the best but we'll get worse. First 5 minutes, I thought we'd got a whistle happy pillock when he awarded 3 really soft fouls. Some good and bad decisions, mixed with a pinch of inconsistency all cooked up a bang average 6.

Can’t believe the standard of the refs that are in EFL 1 to date He was poor so 4 from me. Not as bad as the one in our last home match though. Surely there must be better out there.

Where are they then ? Referees are like us lot, football fans. They just happen to have the courage (Daftness?) to take it up....
Get out there and show us how to do it....;)