Rate the Ref : Home v Ipswich 24.10.2020 | Vital Football

Rate the Ref : Home v Ipswich 24.10.2020

sedgleyimp

Vital Champions League
Kevin Johnson was the man in the middle this afternoon. How d'ya think he did. Votes and comments if you please.
If you are Paul Lambert please feel free to contribute

He was really poor so he only gets 4 He had a good start when he blew his whistle to commence the match. Unfortunately it was all down hill from there.

To start it off I thought it was a bit of an odd referring performance today. Bar the last few minutes really shouldn't have been that difficult but he seemed to make it so by being over officious. Lots of talking for ages at players rather than letting the game flow. An offside given in our own half ( player came back so FK surely should have been from where he made the run)....Bridcutt clearly told to go off the pitch late on and just ignored him. The penalty was soft shall we say. Correct decision for Nolan's assault on Harry at the end.

4/10 for me to be a bit generous

Don't often dislike referees when we win but more than once I didn't understand what he was doing...

Got the red right at least

3/10

4/10 .... yeah he wasn’t great was he. A few odd decisions. Not sure it was a penalty, Nsiala in a bad position but don’t think he put much of a tackle in. Plus a couple of long lectures on what he’s doing to players. Add in the booking for Edun where I think he got the wrong player and it was a day he can learn a lot from. Correct decision on the red though.

The Ref was a little inconsistent to say the least, but the offside in our half was correct. The law is that if you are in an offside position in your opponents half when the ball is played, then run back into your own half to receive it you are offside and the kick is taken from where you touched the ball, not where you were when the ball was kicked.

As for the one where he was through and Palmer saved it, it may have been either a) given for a foul as the striker was holding our defender, or b) the striker may have come from an off-side position to receive the ball (although it didn't look like it on the live feed).

The penalty looked good to me, but we know that Johnson makes Referee's make decisions and it is hard to do at the speed he runs at.

Those defences of his performance said, the Bridcutt not being forced to leave the pitch and the general bitty way things developed, followed by what looked like the wrong booking of Edun instead of TJ for the mele all seemed dodgy to me.

6/10

An odd performance from the ref in what should have been an easy game to ref. Seemed to waste time with his decisions an explanations
4.5/10

3. Penalty was 50/50. Red was spot on. But the ref wanted to be the star of the game. Wouldn't allow free kicks to happen unless they were on the exact blade of grass he felt the foul was committed on.

Ironically he will be remembered as making bad decisions against Ipswich but for much of the game we were getting the raw deal. He clearly had Johnson as 'a diver' and had given him nothing up to the penalty, which was just about right.

To fussy and not in full control. Now where's that number for PGMOL?

He was terrible from start to finish. They gave 2 "reducers" to our players in the first 5 and no cards. Throughout the game he didn't really know what was going on and even in the latter second half he should have known the offside against their player could never have been offside.

2/10

4/10
The game was slow enough without him adding to it.
Overall, I just want to know about that drop-ball. It was ridiculous.

It was a definite penalty. Johnson got across the defender, got a leg between the ball and defender, whom made contact with player rather than the ball. A poor performance from ref, but will mark him up for a good decision, and sending off two of the tractor boy trash.

4 over fussy, came across like school teacher from the 80’s ore before! Some totally random decisions. Got the red right but the the players piling in was inevitable because he had no control previously- players obviously spotted that his was poor

Quite a baffling performance from him. You didn’t know what strange decision he was going to make next. Poor communication with both his linesman too. Got the cards about right except Edun and it was good to see the red card for the manager, couldn’t happen to a nicer fella. 5.

3. 5 from me.

Too picky at the wrong times, an early yellow for either or both reducers should have been forthcoming.

Those drop balls were bizarre.

Both of their offsides were daft.

The handball (against Johnson?) was purely at the play acting by the Ipswich player.

Too fickle in enforcing his decisions and too inconsistent.

The penalty was just about right, the red was spot on - but did his earlier indecisiveness allow Nolan to think that he could get away with it?

As for Lambert - thoroughly deserved. I have no idea what he thought he might achieve - and I do hope the league have the bottle to take him to task over his non-compliance with safety procedures. Excellent role model....

It was only the reds that allowed me to score him so highly....