Rate the Ref : Home to Sunderland 12.12.2020 | Vital Football

Rate the Ref : Home to Sunderland 12.12.2020

sedgleyimp

Vital Champions League
Charles Breakspear twas the man in the middle. How do you think he did. Comments and votes out of 10 please

Not an excuse for our defeat though pen was debatable and set Sunderland on their way, then missed a blatant wrestle on Montsma. Fussy, inconsistent with cards.

Dont want him here again.

Really don't know what to say. So many soft free-kicks, the whistle blew whenever anyone fell over, and what looked like a poor penalty decision. And when Edun was clearly fouled two or three times but still came away with the ball, he decided to take it back. I will say 5, but I need to see the penalty again (4 if it wasn't one).

3 - yeahhhhh it wasn’t great was it. Both sides had reasons to complain over some of the smaller decisions. Grant got the ball with his tackle and Montsma was fouled for a penalty too. The delays on every set piece didn’t help him in fans eyes either.

3 - inconsistency on yellows (not booking their full back for the tackle on edun was incredible) and poor decision for the penalty. Not a good performance

Below average 4/10 for me. Liked the advantage played when Johnson was through but he should have booked their player after the event rather than just a little chat. Really thought it was a soft penalty to give them their first (though I might need a further look at it without fans goggles on). Just generally quite fussy as well

4/10. Awful on many of the key points of the game. Clearly didn’t cost us the game but the penalty decision was shocking and clearly influenced the balance of the game at that point. Seemed to want to be in control instead of allowing a football match to take place.

5. He can't win really. If he'd pulled Johnson back before his missed early attempt to score we'd be saying 'why didn't he play advantage?'.
He played advantage and if we'd scored, it's all good. But because we didn't we remained under pressure and the penalty decision is crucial then, although probably wrong, we can't complain. He gave it as he saw it. Maybe the Edun foul going into the box influenced his decision.

Edited to add - he should have given a yellow after Johnson's miss.

Not quite a Boyeson, but not good; 4. Too inconsistent with cards. I wonder how different it could have been if we had VAR in lower leagues, but we'd also get poor judgements on reviews.

He should have got the yellow out for the late challenge on Eden.That set the tone for the Sunderland players who had him in their pocket. .Sunderland only recieved two cautions . That in itself is quite incredible and why was Monsta booked when late challenges and dissent from the opposition was being unpunished .Never a Penalty .Although a clear penalty when Monsta was wrestled to the ground Very poor.Bring back the Hux! 3/10

ive got so as i'm not confident i know the rules of the game anymore. I wasn't happy with the close clash of kit colours allowed by the ref on the day- made watching it confusing. Didn't think the penalty was correct. Also Sunderland made 5 substitutions on 4 occasions instead of 3 occasions, but one was at half time. I can't find anything in the rules about 4 times, only 3.
I'll give him 3/10. He made a pigs ear of it for me.

He should have got the yellow out for the late challenge on Eden.That set the tone for the Sunderland players who had him in their pocket. .Sunderland only recieved two cautions . That in itself is quite incredible and why was Monsta booked when late challenges and dissent from the opposition was being unpunished .Never a Penalty .Although a clear penalty when Monsta was wrestled to the ground Very poor.Bring back the Hux! 3/10

The Hux is a legend in his own half-time. Don't diss the Hux!