Rate the Ref : Home to Peterborough 9.1.2021 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Rate the Ref : Home to Peterborough 9.1.2021

Maybe should have booked some of theirs sooner. And maybe should have done more with Bridcutt although he didn't really do a clear second bookable tackle, but could easily have been done for repeated fouling.

Spot on with our penalty.

A few errors on throw ins but that's maybe more down to the lino on senilty side.

At least this ref was not an utter clown like so many have been lately so:

A 7/10 from me.

Oh, good on time keeping too. Blew dead on 94 minutes at full time. He'd probably ironed his shirt too.

Separate but related comment.
With this being a multi-yellow game, it raises again the sin bin idea.

Their player saw red without having done any dangerous assault on one of ours.
Bridcutt could easily have seen red just for a series of petty fouls.
One will now miss a match against someone else, another could have (and maybe more than one other).

For those that did get one yellow, only if they clock up quite a few more will they miss a game and then as always, missing a game against a different team to the one or ones who were offended against.

It would be far more meaningful to have players penalised during game being played.

And I would have say a ten minute sin binning for a first yellow then a twenty minute one for a second, and even a thirty minute for a third yellow (which now becomes possible, as does a fourth yellow for a really stupid player).
Or you could perhaps go off for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, whatever was deemed reasonable.

Then to allow for late bookings where length of sin bin is not fully used up, and to retain the match banning element, a player could receive a one match ban for first 90 minutes of sin bin time accrued. Then a two match ban for next 90 minutes accrued and so on.

7 got the key decisions right but getting some minor ones wrong had me shouting at the tv. Played some good advantages then went back to yellow the offender. Much better than the dross of late

My thought during the game was that if there was a crowd there they would have been singing “you don’t know what you’re doing” on quite a few occasions.

Thought he did ok, not an easy match to referee, where to be fair most of our matches have been.
Don’t think anyone has mentioned Ferguson’s complaint that Jones should have been booked when he stopped the ball with his hand, and therefore would have been sent off later. Hopefully if he’d got early yellow, he wouldn’t have made 2nd pull back.

Thought he did ok, not an easy match to referee, where to be fair most of our matches have been.
Don’t think anyone has mentioned Ferguson’s complaint that Jones should have been booked when he stopped the ball with his hand, and therefore would have been sent off later. Hopefully if he’d got early yellow, he wouldn’t have made 2nd pull back.
Jones only handled it because he was fouled. Another one the ref missed.

8. Thought he let the game flow, blew when he had to and issued yellows for cynical fouls. He was also slim enough to keep up with play. I wouldn't be worried if we had him again.

Can tell he didn’t have a negative effect on us with these markings 😂.

Jones should have been booked if he wasn’t giving the free kick to us (this would have stopped him dragging their player down on the counter), there was also the pboro player who went down SUPER easy whilst stood next to Grant in their box and handled it - thought the player made the refs mind and bought the foul.

The late non-advantage for posh.

I’d be aggrieved if Bridcutt was an opposition player and he hadn’t been sent off twice over.

Tj handball - although maybe slightly let off due to the sun and the fact it hit a combo of him and Jackson.

However, not glaringly obvious mistakes. So I’ll go 5.5. If we were on pboros end of decisions I feel he would have a lot lower markings in here.

Maybe also made to look better than he was, after recent clowns we have had.

Last edited:
Agood 8 for me, Bridcutt was very lucky, could have walked. Ref very decisive with all decisions, took no nonsense from anybody, Bridcutt got away with a lot of persistent whinging.Well done Mr Finnie, and thank you.