Rate The Players v Swindon Town | Page 2 | Vital Football

Rate The Players v Swindon Town

Belatedly

Vickers 6.5 - Made one good save first half. Distribution reasonably good overall.

Toffolo 6.5- Never really under pressure defensively. Grew into the game.

Wharton 8- a star in the making. Dominant in the air. Made some telling challenges, including one blood-curdling tackle directly in front of me.

Bostwick - 7.5 Solid as ever, scored a poacher's goal and made one horizontal, spectacular diving-headed block on a goal bound Swindon effort.

Eardley 7- Quietly efficient and made one or two decent crosses in his forays forward.

Frecklington 7- much improved on last season. Involved throughout and put in some strong challenges.

O'Connor 6.5- short of fitness, but put in a shift and was so close with his shot that shaved the bar.

Anderson-8 - Great to see him back near his best. Unbridled energy, power and pace. If he adds vision to his game, we have a nugget.

Andrade 8.5- Lived up to the hype. Pace, direct running, a little trickery, some good crosses which will be converted when an understanding develops with Big John: deserved a goal himself. Tracked back well too.

Akinde 6.5- Not quite up to speed yet, but showed he has pace and control and took a very cool penalty.

McCartan. - 7- Superb first 45 minutes, demonstrating dribbling skills, direct running and a nifty dead ball strike which almost reaped his first goal.

Subs

Pett 7- Good.cameo, showing great skill to set up Matt Green. Looks confident.

Green 7.5 - I liked Ollie, but as supersubs go, he's on another level.

Shackell 7- Showed enough in his short time on the pitch to demonstrate he is going to play a big part in our quest for promotion.

vickers 6.5 little to do,kicking still to improve
eardley 6 poor distribution below his norm
bostwick 8 he was good in 2 positions, total quality
wharton 7.5 keeps impressing and expect goals from set pieces.
toffolo 7 great going forward and has goals in his makeup plus solid defender.good energy
frecklington 6 still to get back to his peak i`m uncertain of his role on pitch,is it now only a holding spot
o connor 6.5 shades of quality and once 100% will deliver. a clever player with quality touch and vision.
anderson 7.5 ran his nuts off and just end product to fix(his mojo now back...knows that he has competition for his spot.)
mccarton 7.5 key influence on our attacking profile,reads the game skilful,shooting boots to improve,brings wide men into play.very impressed with him.
andrade 7 took up good positions and just the final ball or option to improve on.good home debut.needs a goal in the league.
akinde 6.5 still blending in to pattern of play ,some good moments,we will ignite his burners and i expect goals

green 7.5 top drawer scored and made one
shackell 6.5 looked confident,little to do
pett 6 did not threaten opposition but held the ball and decent in possession.
lacks confidence,hope he comes good in a side that passes through the thirds as this will suit him.

"pett 6 did not threaten the opposition"..... really? Watch the highlights. He set Green up for the final goal of the match. He also stepped very nicely into O'Connor's position - maybe more advanced - and ran the Swindon midfield ragged.

I would say it's very difficult to omit him from the starting 11 now!

UTI !

For those who didn't notice Pett, he was the one who brought the ball down with his chest, and volleyed the ball first time over the defence with the outside of his foot for Green to score.
And covered every blade of grass on the pitch in what little time he had on it.

A long, long old way to go yet, but I'm already half thinking Pett might get the "Most improved player" accolade this season.