Rate The Players v Port Vale | Vital Football

Rate The Players v Port Vale

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Eight goals in two games, six different scorers, one goal conceded in the last SIX games (and that was a questionable penalty), fully interchangeable players, John Akinde, Bruno Andrade, Bruno Akinde, three in three for Greeny, three wins out of three, Grimsby surely bricking it. Terrific, especially that last bit.

6.0 is the par score, use half-marks and give us your comments too.

Deadline: 5pm on Thursday.

Smith
Wilson
Shackell
Wharton
Anderson
Toffolo
Pett
Chapman
McCartan
Rhead
Green

Akinde
Andrade
O'Connor

Smith - 7 - safe, secure, one good save when needed. Will keep Vickers on his toes.
Wilson -7 -once I'd sussed he wasn't playing right back, solid, good intercerptions.
Shackell- 8- welcome, easy goal (I have issues with Vale Park, settled tonight), organised the defence, immense signing.
Wharton -7 - had his moments but played really well off Shackell, who he will learn hugely from.
Anderson-7-Still can go scortching off into cul-de-sacs but as wing back did all that entailed effectively. Been doing weights in the gym?
Toffolo-6-lowest mark seems a bit cruel, but solid without being spectacular
Pett-9- Alex who? Michael who?? Stunning, ran the game, this is the player we expected when Danny signed him.
Chapman-7- as it was his debut - steady, one loose pass nearly costly but for the most part kept it simple and effective, belied his age
McCartan-8-class, a real asset, clever and skillful
Rhead-6.5 - got little change from the ref, some good touches and (for him) one hell of a sprint, he's gaining pace as he gets older. But got too involved in the peripheral spats and was taken off for his own good. Big up for clearly letting Green take the penalty.
Green-8- ran the channels, worked hard, earned and converted his penalty, looks happy in the new fluid and creative environment.

Akinde-8-what's been the problem? Strong and sharp, won and took his chance, we have striker.
Andrade-6- never quite happened for him tonight but busy and committed so he will have his day.
O'Connor -8- class - we actually took one out the back when he came on, but he filled that gap, passed well and eyes lit up when the defence stood off him for a cracking finish.

We looked great and the team spirit is something to behold.

Smith 7 Largely untested bar one great save but controlled his area well and not afraid to come out and deal with crosses.
Wilson 7 Solid uncomplicated display
Wharton 8 So composed for a young defender
Shackell 9 My MOM. Exceptional positional sense and marshaling of the young defenders around him. Bonus with the goal as well
Anderson 7 Did very well in a new position for him being a threat going forward as well as getting stuck into tackles. Was caught out a couple of time with his defensive positional play but as a work in progress very promising
Toffolo 7 As with Wilson solid, uncomplicated and did his job

Pett 8 Great central midfield performance assisting at both ends of the pitch. Was literally everywhere tonight
Chapman 7 Only 17? Played like someone who is so at ease at this level. One tackle, body swerve, run and through ball to Akinde was premiership level.

McCartan 7 Lots of energy and desire to move the ball forward
Green 8 Really impressed with his continued willingness to make runs into channels and take defenders away from where they want to be. Never stopped running. A little fortunate with the penalty which some keepers would have kept out.
Rhead 6 Thought he was a little jaded and although a handful for the Vale defence never really got going and was rightly taken off as there was a potential red card in the offing

Akinde 7 Fine finish for the 4th goal and another low cross into the box could have gone in off any number of players. Still looks a little short of full fitness
Andrade 6 Didn't really have the chance to get into the game
O'Connor 8 Great goal and capable of picking out a pass. Only a short cameo but an explosive one

And as mentioned by Chester team spirit is very high with this bunch of players. That will be worth another 10 points this season

Exciting times

Smith. 7. Confident and calm display
Anderson 6.5. Good display with strong attacking surges, just lacking a touch of class of provide the end result.
Wilson. 6.5. Solid
Shackle. 8.5. A real leader at the back, won virtually every header and challenge. Constantly bossing Wilson and Wharton to form a real solid looking unit
Wharton 6.5. Solid
Toffollo. 6.5. Wing back suits him well and gave us great balance down the left.
Chapman. 7. Very assured and confident in possession, hardly gave the ball away.
Pett. 9. Excellent display. Continually received the ball to his feet and turned, beat his marker and created space by breaking the line forcing their defence to panic. Ran the show but also showed great strength to win the ball back from much bigger opponents.
Green. 6.5. Wasn't a great penalty but as per he worked his nuts off and pressed from the front.
Rhead. 5.5. Every challenge resulted in a free kick one way or another. Does what he does well but I feel his influence will be more and reduced as the team progress.
McCarton. 6.5. Skillfull and tricky, reminds me of GTF from yesteryear. Tried and worked hard but not quite the end result but great promise

O'Connor. 7. Great sub with impact. Vale were having a good spell and getting on top in midfield. DC knew this and switched to 433 and OConnor just steadied us and we dominated the last 15 mins.great strike for the goal. Received a good ovation from Vale fans too.

Andrade. 6.5. Was a real threat but not quite the end result

Akinde. 7 Power and strength but mobility too and that is what makes the difference. Forced the error for his goal and they couldn't cope with him

I can't disagree with any of the above, so I will limit my comments to different points of view and (really picky) areas for improvement.

Smith 7.5 only issue was that I only remember one short ball out when a quicker release could have allowed us to build from the back
Wilson 7
Shackell 8.5 so often simply ghosted into the right place to clear
Wharton 7 one right-footed clearance into the stand made me smile after all the calls for a left-footed centre-half
Anderson 7.5 covered his defensive role, but scared the b'jesus out of Vale when he ran at them (Vale had two very quick defenders otherwise he would have done more) only issue is the final ball - at least once a pull back to Akinde would have been preferable to the angled shot.
Toffolo 7 having seen him twice now, I think he is quite clever in his 'bumping' attackers and often looks like he has come of second best, but his speed cuts out the danger at the second phase.
Pett 9 mixed up Pett (No.7) and McCartan (No.17) to start with, then realised that Pett was actually everywhere. Interceptions, shrugging off tackles, turning and moving the ball on.
Chapman 7 composed beyond his years. Grew 4 inches taller as he game progressed.
McCartan 7 always dangerous and got me edging to the front of my seat
Rhead 7.5 I know it was rough and ready, but he looked so much like he was having fun and just sucked in the Vale defence, letting others run around him. A couple of the lay-offs were sublime.
Green 7.5 worked hard, ran the channels, deserved his penalty.

Akinde 7 His goal was all his own doing and he was much improved compared to Northampton game. More to come.
Andrade 6.5 did nothing wrong, good on the ball, but will have better games.
O'Connor 8.5 and only less than Pett because he was only on for a short time. Superb passing, the goal was so much cooler viewed from directly behind the goal and cut from the same mould as Eardley and Shackell.

Watched the match early this morning on iFollow. Very assured performance especially Pett.

Smith. 7 Impressed with confident stops and a very good save. Clean sheet.
Wilson. 6 Defended competently
Shackell. 7.5 Impressive in defence and seemed to be organising the back 4. Scored as well
Wharton 6 Decent game
Anderson 6. Gets into good positions with attacking high energy runs. Lacks a little on finishing.
Toffollo. 7 Ran the left wing well getting forward
Pett. 8.5 My MOTM with a very good performance in midfield beating his marker. Last season I thought he wasn't physically strong enough in a battling midfield but looked the part against Vale.
Chapman. 6.5 decent game
McCarton. 6 Decent game with some nice touches
Rhead. 6 Fan of the big lad but starting to look like a squad player as opposed to starting 11. Good physical presence but opposition know what to expect
Green. 6.5 Penalty was a bit harsh and Green was lucky to score as keeper went the right way and dived over it. Still a decent performance and ties defences in knots

O'Connor. 7 Impressed when he came on as he wrestled the imitative back our way afetr a good Vale spell. Good goal
Andrade. 7 Very good goal and I expect more to come.
Akinde. 7 Very strong physically and worth our wait for him. Good goal.

Watched the match early this morning on iFollow. Very assured performance especially Pett.

Smith. 7 Impressed with confident stops and a very good save. Clean sheet.
Wilson. 6 Defended competently
Shackell. 7.5 Impressive in defence and seemed to be organising the back 4. Scored as well
Wharton 6 Decent game
Anderson 6. Gets into good positions with attacking high energy runs. Lacks a little on finishing.
Toffollo. 7 Ran the left wing well getting forward
Pett. 8.5 My MOTM with a very good performance in midfield beating his marker. Last season I thought he wasn't physically strong enough in a battling midfield but looked the part against Vale.
Chapman. 6.5 decent game
McCarton. 6 Decent game with some nice touches
Rhead. 6 Fan of the big lad but starting to look like a squad player as opposed to starting 11. Good physical presence but opposition know what to expect
Green. 6.5 Penalty was a bit harsh and Green was lucky to score as keeper went the right way and dived over it. Still a decent performance and ties defences in knots

O'Connor. 7 Impressed when he came on as he wrestled the imitative back our way afetr a good Vale spell. Good goal
Andrade. 7 Very good goal and I expect more to come.
Akinde. 7 Very strong physically and worth our wait for him. Good goal.
two more goals for the boy bruno akinde i see...