Rate The Players v Northampton Town | Vital Football

Rate The Players v Northampton Town

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Here we go again, Southport at home next, please. Then Arsenal at home, and vengeance shall be ours!

Another narrow win, but that is far better than a narrow defeat. Make no mistake about it, we have beaten two good sides in the last two games (ignoring the reserves' game against the wolverines). Some great individual goals too, and we can all enjoy our Saturday evening.

6.0 is the par score, use half-marks and give us your comments too.

Deadline is 5pm on Tuesday.

Vickers
Wilson
Bostwick
Shackell
Toffolo
O'Connor
Pett
McCartan
Anderson
Andrade
Akinde

Rhead

Vickers - 6.5, think he will be disappointed with the first goal, but more than made up for it with 2/3 long range cracking saves. Punched once when he should have caught, generally a decent display though.
Wilson - 6.0, much better than last week ! must have worked on stuff in training, got forward on a few occasions. As we have said, he is not a full back.
Bostwick - 7.5 , very good game again especially for a so called injured player ! Several last ditch tackles, what a player.
Shackell - 6.5, solid, one poor tackle, but didnt miss much.
Toffolo - 7.5, turning out to be one of our best recent signings, but at fault partly for their second goal
O'Connor - 6.5, got through a lot of work, steady.
Pett - 7.5, superb goal, hard working, linked up well.
McCartan - 7.5, some lovely runs with the ball, lasted the full 98, seemed more hard working.
Anderson - 7.5, best game for ages, took goal very well, strong powerful, blazed over just before our 3rd.
Andrade - 8.0, deserved mom, for his all round display, great hit, made up for his partial mistake with Toff for their second
Akinde - - 7.5, really settling in now, real handful, worked hard.

Rhead / Green 6.0, little time to do much, apart from Green to get booked !

Vickers 7 - Made a couple of excellent saves, but appeared at fault for their first.

Wilson 7.5 Was able to get forward in support of Harry today and looked competent at right back. Has a good turn of pace.

Bostwick 8 - Some bone-shuddering challenges as always, thudding headers and some more composed distribution than of late.

Shackell 8- The snip of the season continues to prove his worth at the heart of the defence and might have scored the goal of the game if his volley had gone in.

Toffolo - 9 Excellent at both ends of the pitch. His partnership with Bruno improves by the game.

Anderson - 7 Took his goal well, getting into the right position and he battles hard, but, in general, his passing and reading of the game are works-in-progress.

Pett 8.5 - Did well along with O'Connor to fill in the hole in midfield, linking play up and scored a beauty.

O'Connor - 7.5 Good partnership in midfield today. Won a fair few headers and tackles and linked up play well.

Andrade 9 - What a goal!! More than redeemed himself for his slight aberration with their second goal. Gave their defence nightmares. Great trickery. Just needs to improve his crossing.

McCartan 7 - Made great inroads into the Northampton defence on several occasions, but perhaps should have done better when put through by Akinde and when he had the chance to slip the ball through for Harry in the first half. He also had a one-on-one he might have done better with.

Akinde - 8 Didn't score, but put the Northampton defence under tremendous pressure. Won a large proportion of his headers and played a mean chest pass or two. Looks like the makings of a good partnership with McCartan.

Vickers - 6.5 A couple of 'moments' made up for with 2 v. good saves
Wilson - 7 A game effort going forward with more defensive solidity
Bostwick - 7 Some crunching front foot defending
Shackell - 7 steady and calm wins the day
Toffolo - 8 full package in both halves today
O'Connor - 7 solid, vast improvement from last week
Pett - 7.5 ran midfield and was able to get forward to better effect
McCartan - 8 had Northampton on toast several times
Anderson - 7.5 excellent work for the goal and great grafting
Andrade - 8 put some jam on McCartan's toast
Akinde - 7.5 Won more than his fair share of tackles and was the perfect foil for McCartan's running.

Rhead - 6 Not on that long and no minuses or plusses for me.

Vickers - 6.5
Wilson - 6.5
Bostwick - 7
Shackell - 6.5
Toffolo - 7.5
O'Connor - 6
Pett - 6.5
McCartan - 7.5
Anderson - 7
Andrade - 6.5
Akinde - 6.5

Rhead - 6

Vickers 6.0 two great saves but poor on first goal and one terrible punch when he should have caught it. Not back to his early season form yet.
Wilson 7.0 his best game this season.
Bostwick 7.5 has ferociously competive has always.
Shackell 7.0 a steady head at the back.
Toffolo 7.5 one of the best attacking fullbacks in this league. But thought along with Andrade he got caught out on their secong goal.
Occonor 6.5 battled hard in midfield.
Pett 7.0 always looking to do something positive with the ball.
McCartan 7.0 dazzling first half performance but went missing second half.
Anderson 7.5 improving every match on his earlier in and out form.
Andrade 8.0 what a great goal and assist on our fist goal.
Akinde 6.5 for me yet again an in and out performance . mixes some really good play with some shoddy play. Was through on a couple of occasions and seemed to slow up which allowed defenders to get back to him. Such a handful at times but a pussycat at others. I just cant make my mind up about him.

Vickers 6.5
Wilson 6
Bostwick 7.5
Shackell 6.5
Toffolo 6.5
O'Connor 6
Pett 7.5
McCartan 7
Anderson 7
Andrade 8
Akinde 6.5

Rhead 6

Vickers 7 - great saves, couple of mishaps
Wilson 7 - much better all round
Bostwick 6 - ok but keep conceding
Shackell 6 - ditto
Toffolo 7.5 - best defender, great cross for opener
O'Connor 6 - ok
Pett 7.5 - tireless work, great 2nd goal
McCartan 8 - could have scored 4 himself so marked down from a 9 or higher, but brilliant otherwise, first half especially & definitely brought down for a penalty but not given
Anderson 7.5 - great goal and did much better than recently
Andrade 7.5 - fabulous winner
Akinde 5.5 - for me still not yet achieving what I expected of him, put in the effort but ineffective most of the time

Rhead 6 - not enough time to do what he can, but still some good touches

Akinde 5.5 - for me still not yet achieving what I expected of him, put in the effort but ineffective most of the time

Rhead 6 - not enough time to do what he can, but still some good touches

So ineffective, he set up a gilt-edged chance for McCartan, which he really should have buried, as well as challenging for the ball that broke for Pett to drill home the second. Won his fair share of headers as well and a couple of nice chest passes.

Yes.he did naff all ?

Rheady meanwhile misplaces a pass and fails to win any headers and you don't notice?

We're all entitled to an opinion, but marking Rhead higher than Akinde.

Really?

So ineffective, he set up a gilt-edged chance for McCartan, which he really should have buried, as well as challenging for the ball that broke for Pett to drill home the second. Won his fair share of headers as well and a couple of nice chest passes.

Yes.he did naff all ?

Rheady meanwhile misplaces a pass and fails to win any headers and you don't notice?

We're all entitled to an opinion, but marking Rhead higher than Akinde.

Really?

Yes that's my opinion.
And based on how much a player performs below what I expect them to be able to do.
I found myself disappointed too many times in Akinde' s touch.

And it came off a Northampton defender for Pett's goal. Akinde tried to jump for it but failed, Rheady would have won the header. Luckily it fell nicely for Pett but no thanks to Akinde.
I'm just waiting for a genuine starring performance from Akinde. I'm sure it will come but for me it hasn't yet.

This is all about opinions. We all see a game differently, and that may also depend on where in the ground we are watching from. We all have our favourites and others we do not rate as highly; sometimes it is hard to remain objective. It is very important to say what you see and not be influenced by whatever anyone else has written. After all, who knows who is right?

This is all about opinions. We all see a game differently, and that may also depend on where in the ground we are watching from. We all have our favourites and others we do not rate as highly; sometimes it is hard to remain objective. It is very important to say what you see and not be influenced by whatever anyone else has written. After all, who knows who is right?

We're all right as we see it, ? but I would expect my views to be challenged if someone disagreed with me, which, unsurprisingly happens quite often☺️.

Big John certainly polarises opinion, both on here and at the Bank.

Yes that's my opinion.
And based on how much a player performs below what I expect them to be able to do.
I found myself disappointed too many times in Akinde' s touch.

And it came off a Northampton defender for Pett's goal. Akinde tried to jump for it but failed, Rheady would have won the header. Luckily it fell nicely for Pett but no thanks to Akinde.
I'm just waiting for a genuine starring performance from Akinde. I'm sure it will come but for me it hasn't yet.

Fair comment.

I think he's suffering as a consequence of the pressures of expectation of being our record signing.

Fair comment.

I think he's suffering as a consequence of the pressures of expectation of being our record signing.

I think expectation is what it's all been about so far with Akinde.
Guess people expect our biggest ever signing to be our best ever player...but of course no reason whatsoever for that to be true.
He has only been with us for a few months and therefore under the Cowleys leadership for that same short period.
I DO have every belief that he will play a starring role in the 2nd part of the season. He is still learning how the team play, they are still learning how he plays.
And sometimes players click immediately, sometimes it takes time, and of course sometimes it might never work.
I think Akinde is in the middle category like Pett has been.