Rate The Players v Everton | Vital Football

Rate The Players v Everton

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Not at all the Everton we faced in January. They were faster than us, passed better than us, were more skilful than us, and cost a lot more than us (£261 million more to be precise). Their set pieces were better than ours, and in one case, much better than ours. No wonder they beat us, then.

But we were very good too. 1-0 after 21 seconds, a great volley by Bruno, and all of that with five changes. Great stuff again from a Cowley team.

Thank you to Everton for playing such a fine strong side, it was just like the good old days of the League Cup. So it is back to the league on Saturday, and let's take plenty of confidence into it.

6.0 is the par score, use half-marks and give us your comments too.

Deadline is 5pm on Thursday.

Smith
Lewis
Bolger
Shackell
Toffolo
O'Connor
Anderson
Morrell
Payne
Andrade
Akinde

Bostwick
Eardley
Grant

Smith 7
Lewis 7
Bolger 7
Shackell 7
Toffolo 8
O'Connor 6
Anderson 8
Morrell 6
Payne 7
Andrade 9 MotM :clap:
Akinde 5

Bostwick 6
Eardley 6
Grant 6

Smith 6
Lewis 6
Bolger 7.5
Shackell 6
Toffolo 7
O'Connor 6.5
Anderson 8
Morrell 6.5
Payne 7
Andrade 8
Akinde 6.5

Bostwick 6
Eardley 6
Grant 6

Not quite back to the day of the lizards, neither the notably 2nd XI put out at Blackburn last season with some decidedly iffy loans making up the numbers. Hope we have the necessary recoveries for Saturday. None of these guys took a step back and be can be proud of their efforts against a strong, top premiership team.
Smith - 7 could do nothing about the goals, especially worldie first. Sky gobsmacked he was chosen with so few starts in 2019, we know better and he didn't disappoint.
Lewis - 7.5 - grew into the game, great ball in resulting in Bruno's goal. So much better than last season's back up and worth a longer contract to develop for the future.
Bolger - 7- up against £60m of forwards, largely assured and capable
Shackell - 6- not 100% match fit? Led but occasionally vulnerable
Toffolo - 7 - not as prominent as other games this season but more of a test and had his moments
O'Connor - 8 - unlucky with the penalty, a trojan in front of the defence and got forward occasionally.
Anderson - 8 - great finish for goal, worked hard in defence and always looking to be an outlet in attack
Morrell - 8 - pocket battleship. Gave Schneiderlin 6" at set pieces and still won, great tackling and distribution.
Payne - 8 - as classy as any of the midfielders he was facing, speed of thought and movement evident from the 19th second until he was sub'd.
Andrade - 8 - early candidate for goal of the season and put in a shift for the team. Earned a start?
Akinde - 8 - Everton will be hoping we don't make 3rd round of FA Cup, he's worked over their CBs again. Had to last 90 minutes, often isolated, and did superbly.

Bostwick - 5- difficult to change the CB partnership in a match like this, did ok.
Eardley - 6 - unusual role as defensive midfielder, capable in difficult circumstances.
Grant -5- the loss of Payne was noticeable, I'm still to be convinced, the ability is there, the Cowley minerals still a work in progress

Smith: 6 Couldn't do anything about the goals and made some good saves when needed. Par 6.0, though.
Lewis: 6.5 Out of position a number of times in the first half, but very good in the second; played a pivotal role in Bruno's goal; worth a permanent contract on that showing.
Bolger: 7.5 Very good at the back, dominant in the air against some bruisers in Everton's forward line.
Shackell: 6.5 Everton were too quick for him at times, only to be expected at his age.
Toffolo: 7 Got forward very well, especially late in the second half as we chased the game.
O'Connor: 7 Very tough night against that midfield, so quick in movement and passing compared to League Two/One. Competed well, and was unlucky for the penalty.
Anderson: 7.5 Not out of place against a Premier League team, and another goal to make him top scorer.
Morrell: 6.5 Overrun a bit, got stuck in but was up against some top midfielders. Possibly got a taste of what international football will be like.
Payne: 8 MOM. The ability to find space against a team like that indicates a very good player. Shame he was taken off. Even the Sky halfwits - sorry, pundits - were impressed.
Andrade: 8 Very good general performance, fluffed a few chances before that volley. May have added a bit to his value if any buyers were watching.
Akinde: 7 Very difficult to lead the line alone against top defenders but made a good fist of it.

Bostwick: 6 Won a few headers although both winning goals came in the air down the middle - possibly not his fault, will have to watch again.
Eardley: 6 Unusual to see him in midfield, got forward and had one decent shot at goal.
Grant: 6 A couple of decent touches but did not influence much.

Smith 8
Lewis 9
Bolger 8
Shackell 6
Toffolo 8
O'Connor 8
Anderson 9
Morrell 6
Payne 9
Andrade 9
Akinde 8

Bostwick 6
Eardley 7
Grant 5

Smith 6.5 could do little about the goals, did everything else well
Lewis 6.5 occasionally out of position, high energy, good going forward
Bolger 7.0 solid performance
Shackell 6.0 struggled against pacey attack
Toffolo 7.5 some of our best moments overlapping late on
O'Connor 7.5 tireless performance
Anderson 8.0 worked his socks off against probably the best modern left back in the business in Digne. Great play to get in position and score.
Morrell 7.5 busy as ever, and not out of place against PL opposition
Payne 7.5 great first half but begun to run out of steam second half
Andrade 7.5 all about that goal!
Akinde 7.0 gave defenders a torrid time, looked very tired last 25 minutes

Bostwick 6.5
Eardley 6.5
Grant 6.0

Great team performance against top quality opposition. Every player played their part. ??
Smith - 7 Not overawed. Couldn't do anything about any of the goals. Great save from Iwobi.
Lewis - 9 - my MOM. superb performance for only his second appearance, and against top quality opposition. Made some great challenges, supported Anderson well going forward & had the confidence to drive forward to create Bruno's goal. Needs a contract.
Bolger - 7.5 - strong in defence, but wish he would clear more positively sometimes (one where he headed ball back into space in potential danger area).
Shackell - 7.5 - usual assured organising self.
Toffolo - 8 - non-stop action both in defence and attack
O'Connor - 8 - constantly working to break up Everton's attacks.
Anderson - 9 - magnificent, non-stop performance both in attack & defence. Great early goal to set the tie up.
Morrell - 7.5 - as for O'Connor, but seemed more determined to get under their skin, especially Schneidelin ??
Payne - 8.5 - all action, lovely nutmeg on Sidibe.
Andrade - 8.5 - great game, both in attack & defence, but could have had two goals if he hadn't snatched one when he had a clear shot. Being picky - goal of the season - they'd be raving about that one in the Premiership and gave us hope that maybe the game wasn't finished at that pojnt.
Akinde - 8.5 - I've been critical, but thought he had one of his best ever games, giving their defenders no peace, battling and holding the ball up superbly.

Bostwick - 6.5 - didn't have to do much but the usual warrior.
Eardley - 6 - good to see him as a DM for a change.
Grant - 6 - difficult to get into the gameut somehow I expected a bit mo from him.

Smith 8
Lewis 7 as first half poor positionally second half excellent
Bolger 8
Shackell 7
Toffolo 7
O'Connor 8
Anderson 8
Morrell 7
Payne 7
Andrade 7
Akinde 9 led the line so well and caused problems

Bostwick 7
Eardley 7
Grant 6

Smith 8 A couple of good saves - assured
Lewis 8 Like his attitude and tidy player
Bolger 8 Did really well, pushing Bostwick hard for a starting spot, which speaks for itself
Shackell 8.5 Excellent - Spotted danger quicker than anyone, which sometimes meant he had to deal with it, without as much support as he would have liked
Toffolo 8 Stuck to defensive duties manfully
O’Connor 8 Made sure they had to go round us, cos they were n’t going to go through us easily
Anderson 9 Cool finish, then 90 minutes of hard work. Never stopped, amazing energy.
Morrell 8 As O’Connor
Andrade 8 A goal we really will not forget. A challenge thrown down to Grant
Payne 8.5 Excellent and confident. Set the standard.
Akinde 8 Lead the line well as always - Absolutely knackered by the end.

Bostwick 7.5 Battled in tiring side
Eardley 7.5 Same as Bostwick
Grant 6 Can the Cowley’s put the work and energy (without the ball) into him to get the maximum from his undoubted talent. Had one chance which could have made things really interesting.

Smith 7 Cracking save first half and nothing he could really do with any of their goals
Lewis 8 Busy performance and looks well at home in our back 4. Great dribble to set up Andrade's wonder strike
Bolger 7 Stood up well to Evertons barrage
Shackell 7.5 Read the game really well to snuff out some of their attacks
Toffolo 7 More defending than normal but coped well and made some timely interceptions when left 1 on 1

Morrall 7.5 Busy in the middle and covering the defenders
O Connor 7.5 As per Morrall

Anderson 8 Great early strike set the tone for the whole match
Payne 8 Superb cut back for Harrys goal and looked well at home in a match filled with current International players
Andrade 8.5 What a strike that was. Worth admission on its own

Akinde 8.5 My MOM over several other good candidates for his workrate over the whole game. Won countless headers and kept possession really well

Bostwick 6.5 Didn't really influence the game after coming on
Eardley 6.5 Did fine in an unusual position
Grant 6 Couldn't get into the game and should have done better when he had a clear opening to test Pickford

Smith - 7
Lewis - 6.5
Bolger - 7
Shackell - 6.5
Toffolo - 6.5
O'Connor - 6.5
Anderson - 7
Morrell - 6.5
Payne - 7
Andrade - 7
Akinde - 7

Bostwick - 6.5
Eardley - 6.5
Grant - 6
I may submit marks again after I've watched it back !

Smith - 8 - Resistance.
Lewis - 8 - Impressive.
Bolger - 7.5 - Alternative.
Shackell - 7.5 - Alert.
Toffolo - 8 - Exhausted.
O'Connor - 7.5 - Undaunted.
Anderson - 8 - Hasty.
Morrell - 7.5 - Buzz.
Payne - 8.5 - Megs.
Andrade - 9 - WOW!
Akinde - 7.5 - Troublesome.

Bostwick - 7
Eardley - 7
Grant - 6.5

Only my fourth game of the season and I'm already running low on words...

Smith - 8 - Resistance.
Lewis - 8 - Impressive.
Bolger - 7.5 - Alternative.
Shackell - 7.5 - Alert.
Toffolo - 8 - Exhausted.
O'Connor - 7.5 - Undaunted.
Anderson - 8 - Hasty.
Morrell - 7.5 - Buzz.
Payne - 8.5 - Megs.
Andrade - 9 - WOW!
Akinde - 7.5 - Troublesome.

Bostwick - 7
Eardley - 7
Grant - 6.5

Only my fourth game of the season and I'm already running low on words...

Apparently there are about 170,000 words in current usage in the Englsh language so I have calculated you should be able to make it to the end of the season before you completely run out.?

Smith 7, no chance with the goals did well in between.
Lewis 7, shaky start but got better as it went on
Toffolo 7, typical Harry performance
Bolger 7, steady
Shackell 7, as above
O'Connor 7, full of hustle and bustle as always
Morrell 7.5, extra half mark for his shithousery, good lad!
Payne 7.5, extra half mark for the pass that lead to the opener
Anderson 8, got us off to a flyer! Very decent performance.
Andrade 8.5, great strike to cap a fine performance
Akinde 7.5, did a great job in a role that doesn't suit his style of play
All the subs 6

Smith - 6.5 - Didn't do anything wrong. But can't give too high a mark for someone who let in 4. Some good saves.

Lewis - 6.5 - It was a poor foul at the end but I don't think anyone blamed him, other than all Everton fans. Seemed raw but could see many uses such as long throws.
Bolger - 7.0 - Decent defending. Gave as good as he could.
Shackell - 6.5 - More reliance on him as we need his organisation. Didn't do it too well but a decent enough defensive performance against some very good attackers.
Toffolo - 8.0 - Good defensively and going forwards gave them some problems. Looked dangerous.

O'Connor - 7.5 - Kept an English international in Delph and Schneiderlin who has moved for how much money quiet. Wonder how well he could have done without injuries.
Morrell - 7.0 - The lad's got some fight about him.
Anderson - 8.0 - Excellent finish in 20 seconds and kept running the whole game. Unfortunate Digne is so good. What is it about Everton LB's against us?
Payne - 8.0 - The lad should have played premiership for Huddersfield.
Andrade - 8.0 - Excellent finish. Seemed up for the match and can't think of any other player I'd have first on the team sheet for Saturday (unless team sheet is done GK first, probably shouldn't play there.)

Akinde- 7.5 - It was always going to be a lot of running with little return but he still battled away.

Bostwick - 6.5 - Was that a bit of a tummy I saw on him? I mean I'm not going to complain to him...
Eardley - 7.0 - Different roll, still delivered.
Grant - 6.5 - Not too much time but a couple of chances to impress via set pieces. Nothing special tonight though.

Smith 7
Lewis 7
Bolger 8
Shackell 7
Toffolo 7
O'Connor 7
Anderson 8
Morrell 7
Payne 9
Andrade 8
Akinde 7

Bostwick 6