Rate The Players v Crewe Alexandra | Vital Football

Rate The Players v Crewe Alexandra

Palmer - 6 - not too much to comment on.

Bradley - 6 - defensively not great but gave good support when going forwards. Not a long term solution but will do a job whilst we get back in the swing.
Eyoma - 7 - fantastic tackle in first half. Did a good job in general but at fault for the goal as lost his man.
Montsma - 8 - we’ve got a good player here don’t we?
Roughan - 6.5 - same as Bradley but do put in some good tackles further up the pitch. Hard to believe he’s 17. Going to develop into a good player.

Jones - 6 - didn’t notice too much of him.
Edun - 6 - good news, was involved in a lot of what we did. Bad news, didn’t always go to plan.
McGrandles - 6 - another who seemed to be passed by for a large portion of the game.

Scully - 6.5 - runs a lot. Plenty of effort but isn’t a winger. Got an assist so can’t complain but plenty of times he couldn’t link up with Hopper.
Hopper - 6.5 - he did score but I get the feeling he can only put away what falls at his feet and he can’t create anything big himself.
Grant - 6.5 - learn to put a tackle in and beef up a little and could be one of the best CM’s in the league.

Palmer - 6
Bradley 6.5
Eyoma 6.5
Montsma 8
Roughan 6.5
Edun 5.5
McGrandles 7
Jones 7
Hopper 7.5
Grant 7.5
Scully 7

Palmer - 6
Bradley 6
Eyoma 7
Montsma 8
Roughan 6
Edun 5
McGrandles 6
Jones 6
Hopper 7
Grant 7
Scully 6

Palmer 6 Not much to do in all honesty but did it fine

Bradley 6.5 Not his natural position but worked hard and offered quite a lot going forward
Eyoma 7.5 Pace very evident on that first half tackle which probably saved conceding. Good distribution. Think he did get caught out with their goal, but very good performance.
Montsma 8 Quality performance with the added goal bonus. Reminded me of a taller version of Paul Morgan with his covering.
Roughan 6.5 Bit of a shaky start but grew into the game and clearly not afraid to put himself about

Edun 6 A few loose passes in both halves. Possibly trying too hard??

Jones 7
McGrandles 7 A joint assessment for both of them. Unspectacular but both played their parts at both ends of the pitch. Both will clearly work hard without necessarily standing out. Did simple things well.

Scully 6 Lots of effort but things didn't quite go his way
Grant 7 Influences the game so much more when not exiled to the left side of the pitch. Was a big part of the win today

Hopper 7 Worked tirelessly and led the line really well. Hold up of the ball was very good bringing other players in. Good he got his goal which will be great for the confidence

Last edited:
Palmer - 6
Bradley 6
Eyoma 7
Montsma 8
Roughan 6.5
Edun 5.5
McGrandles 7
Jones 6.5
Hopper 6.5
Grant 7
Scully 6.5

Palmer - 6
Bradley 6.5
Eyoma 7
Montsma 8.5 - MOTM
Roughan 7
Edun 6
McGrandles 7
Jones 7.5
Hopper 7
Grant 8
Scully 7

Palmer - 6 - capable in what he did but not called upon to show why he was best GK in L2 last season
Bradley - 7 - struggled first half as both out-of-position full backs were exposed, improved second half with better support from midfield. Showed energy and skill getting forward, notably on one break late in the match.
Eyoma 7.5 - speed and timing evident in one crucial tackle, occasionally weak in the air and probably culpable for the space for Crewe's goal. Confident on the ball and good distribution, attributes MA's recruitment values.
Montsma - 8 - MoM - strong, ferocious tackler allied with good distribution including a great pass to start the move for the first goal and a terrrific strike for his second. Raw, he'll have bad days but my bet for the first high-value player turn-around.
Roughan - 7 - like Bradley, found out in the first half when we were vunerable on the flanks, much better second half and always willing and effective getting forward. Exemplary attitude for a 17 year-old; project Appleton #2?
Edun - 5.5 - mixed bag, some woeful passing and occasionally knocked off the ball, but always involved, looking to make things happen and contributed to the better second half.
McGrandles - 7 - did the hard work in midfield, not always pretty but box-to-box energy supporting defence and getting forward as needed.
Jones - 7 - similar to McGrandles, a hard-working return to his old home.
Hopper - 7.5 - improved as the match progressed, clearly fitter than last season and more effective, several half chances and in the right place for an easy tap-in.
Grant - 7.5 - the transformation since he first joined continues, did the armband justice with a mature, intelligent display, switching effectively as part of a front 3 and then holding the midfield.
Scully - 6 - too isolated first half, better link-up play second including Hopper's goal, he'll have better days.

Both subs, Morton and Howarth, contibuted in short cameos, Howarth's possibly inadvertent keep ball by the corner flag showed strength and determination Rheady would have been proud of.

Palmer: 6 Nothing to do for the majority of the match. Left exposed for the goal, six yards out, unmarked.
Bradley: 6 Probably a stand-in, did ok under those circumstances. Better going forward than defending.
Eyoma: 7 Half a mark off because Crewe scored from a very central area. Very good on the ground, not so sure in the air. Huge promise for 20.
Montsma: 7.5 A gem. Half a mark off for the goal, as above.
Roughan: 6 A rough gem. Hopelessly out of position in the first half, deliberately exploited by Crewe. Better in the second half, needs a Shackell to direct him.
Edun: 6 Nothing like as bad as some people claim. Repeatedly exposed by a non-tackling midfield, immediately closed down by Crewe when he got the ball.
McGrandles: 6 A bit lightweight in physical confrontations.
Jones: 6 As per McGrandles, one of these two needs to challenge for the ball.
Hopper: 6.5 Decent game, scored, not much else.
Grant: 7.5 Seemed to have a free role just behind Hopper, I like that.
Scully: 6.5 Tried very hard, lots of running, one assist.

Palmer - 6 - I think Thommo's criticism for the goal was a little harsh, headed hard and low like you're taught to
Bradley - 5.5 - I think he'd ideally be a midfielder but doubt he'll get a look in there. Some nice interplay but will be happy to have Lewis back in.
Eyoma - 5.5 - Poor effort for their goal but a great recovery tackle before that.
Montsma - 8 - Always hard to guess what a player will be like when coming from such a different league but really impressed. Calm on the ball and solid defensively. What a hit too!
Roughan - 6 - Grew into the game well and looks a real prospect
Edun - 5 - Not his best game, central midfield looked a bit lost without Bridcutt, a slight concern unless LB can play every game.
McGrandles - 5 - Ditto
Jones - 6 - Ditto again but what a flick for the winner, I'll presume he meant it!
Hopper - 7 - I was critical of him last year but has impressed me recently, much more mobile than I'd given him credit for
Grant - 6.5 - Didn't dominate like he can do but plenty of effort and signs we might see the best of him this year
Scully - 6.5 - Tried some things but little came off, I've never liked the playing of those I think of as strikers, like Scully and Morton, out wide. I think sometimes managers can sign some (usually young) strikers but opt for a 1 striker system with an established first-choice (Hopper) and then just stick the young strikers out wide. Personally prefer to put more traditional wingers like Harry and Zak out there. Will be interesting to see who gets the wide spots against Oxford.

Edit: moved Scully to a 6.5 as forgot he crossed for Hopper

Palmer 6 No real impact good or bad, but looked more comfortable than Vickers playing out from back.
Bradley 6.5 Playing out of position on your debut in what is a scratch defence in a scratch team - could have been alot worse.
Roughan 6.5 Ditto
Eyoma 6.5 Ditto
Montsma 7.5 Had an unfair advantage playing in his usual position - lots of talent on what we've seen so far.
Scully 6.5 Plenty of endeavour
McGrandles 7.0 Did alot of good things, first time passing, almost unnotice. Looks a seasoned performer
Jones 7.0 Helps create a much stronger physical midfield the we often had last season
Grant 7.0 Has real quality at times, if he's going to realise his potential, this is the time.
Edun 5.5 Has real quality at times. Over played in a number of occasions which could have cost us a goal, still a bit rusty on evidence of today.
Hopper 7.0 Intelligent link up front and scoring goals.

Palmer 6.0
Bradley 6.0
Eyoma 6.5
Montsma 7.5
Roughan 6.5
Edun 5.5
McGrandles 6.0
Jones 6.0
Hopper 7.0
Grant 6.5
Scully 6.5

Palmer -6