Rate The Players v Coventry City | Vital Football

Rate The Players v Coventry City

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Just one word: fantastic.

6.0 is the par score, use half-marks and give us your comments too.

Deadline is 5pm on Thursday.

Allsop
Wilson
Waterfall
Wharton
Eardley
Woodyard
Bostwick
Frecklington
Palmer
Rhead
Green

Anderson

Allsop - 7 - Don’t think he had any chance with the goals, not close enough to see the saves 2nd half but heard at least one was very good
Wilson - 7 - To come straight into a massive game shows how good he is
Waterfall- 7 - Won lots of headers
Wharton - 7 - Credit to him for filling in well at LB
Eardley - 6.5 - Solid but not as good passing as sometimes
Woodyard - 7 - Tracked well and made some vital interventions
Bostwick - 6.5 - They really didn’t fancy it against him, sometimes dragged out of position meaning we were exposed to late runners
Frecklington - 7.5 - Very good tonight, passed ran and tackled well and took his opportunity unlike Wycombe
Palmer - 8 - Very good going forwards, pretty crap defensively but he’s a striker playing wide
Rhead - 8.5 - Beat them 3 on 1 often, I’ll have to watch the goal again but it looked incredible
Green - 6.5 - Good running but the least threatening of the three

Anderson - 6.5 - Not many opportunities but brought a great save out of their keeper

Allsop - 7 - Don’t think he had any chance with the goals, not close enough to see the saves 2nd half but heard at least one was very good
Wilson - 7 - To come straight into a massive game shows how good he is
Waterfall- 7 - Won lots of headers
Wharton - 7 - Credit to him for filling in well at LB
Eardley - 6.5 - Solid but not as good passing as sometimes
Woodyard - 7 - Tracked well and made some vital interventions
Bostwick - 6.5 - They really didn’t fancy it against him, sometimes dragged out of position meaning we were exposed to late runners
Frecklington - 7.5 - Very good tonight, passed ran and tackled well and took his opportunity unlike Wycombe
Palmer - 8 - Very good going forwards, pretty crap defensively but he’s a striker playing wide
Rhead - 8.5 - Beat them 3 on 1 often, I’ll have to watch the goal again but it looked incredible
Green - 6.5 - Good running but the least threatening of the three

Anderson - 6.5 - Not many opportunities but brought a great save out of their keeper
My bad the great save was against Whitehouse not Harry

Allsop 8 - solid for a 7 all night, but pulled off a world class save near the end to maintain the 2 goal lead

Wilson 8 - especially considering he hadn’t played for a long time, a terrific performance
Waterfall 8 - captain’s showing... we somehow always look a better side with him in it
Wharton 8 - a class act and filled in superbly at left back
Eardley 7 - solid and calm as usual

Woodyard 8 - tireless running and scrapping for the team
Bostwick 7 - looked tired all evening but made plenty of vital blocks and tackles in midfield
Frecklington 8 - his best performance since returning - starting to impose his quality on games now

Palmer 8 - 2 goals and always a threat... his development and improvement over the course of the season has been astonishing
Rhead 8 - I was one of those thinking he could do with a breather... then he plays a classic Matt Rhead performance, bullying their defenders all night, scoring a beauty, and setting up two others. His best showing in a long while.
Green 7 - not his best night but always a great outlet and has adapted to 433 extremely well

Anderson 6 - no major impact

Watched on iFollow today.

Allsop: 7 Coventry actually created very little despite the brilliant one-touch world-beating football their local journalist seems to believe they play. No chance with the two goals, and pulled off a Wembley-esque save from Biamou.
Wilson: 6.5 Did well considering his lack of game time. I think he may claim an assist for the third goal.
Waterfall: 6.5 Had a relatively easy game, almost unchallenged in the air.
Wharton: 7.5 First game at left back, I wonder? Just as composed as at centre half. We have to push the boat out to get this lad permanently.
Eardley: 7 In no trouble whatsoever at any time. Got turned for the second goal, but that was a good turn and finish. Actually crossed the ball from the left for the third goal.
Woodyard: 8 Dominant in midfield, seems to be getting better and better towards the end of the season.
Bostwick: 6.5 Solid as ever, but I wish his distribution was better - we usually end up condeding possession. Not entirely sure this new role just in front of the two centre backs suits him, but still doing what Bostwick does best.
Frecklington: 7 Another good game on the back of Colchester, pleased to see him score to put the game to bed.
Palmer: 7.5 Actually a par performance except for his two goals - worth their weight in gold, of course.
Rhead: 8.5 Man of the match. One outstanding goal, two assists, and Coventry never got near him all game. They gave him far too much space and he murdered them.
Green: 6.5 Looks far more comfortable down the right. Did his usual prodigious running but with little result.

Anderson: 6 Had one great opportunity to take on the last defender but fluffed it.

I think we may have found our defensive formation for the rest of the season: Wharton-Wilson-Waterfall-Eardley, and our forward line: Palmer-Rhead-Green.

Allsop - 6.5 - Customary great save, but could he have done better with the 2nd?
Wilson - 6.5
Waterfall - 6.5
Wharton - 7
Eardley - 7
Woodyard - 6.5
Bostwick - 6.5
Frecklington - 7
Palmer - 7.5
Rhead - 7.5
Green - 6.5

Anderson - 6.5

Yes possibly a new defence going forward...what's the possibility of permanently signing Wharton? He continues to perform excellently and clearly enjoying being an Imp

Allsop - 7 - One excellent reaction save, but scares me with every curling cross that comes anywhere near the 6 yard box.
Eardley - 7 - struggled occasionally because nobody was playing right side midfield for us, so he was left with 2 on 1's at times.
Wilson - 7.5 - very solid considering his lack of game time
Waterfall - 8 - a true captain's performance.
Wharton - 8 - didn't get forward as much as Sam, but was better defensively than Sam usually is.
Woodyard - 6.5 - I thought Woody really struggled today. Big pitch and Coventry's strength was in midfield.
Bostwick - 6.5 - Applied his usual steel, but his passing was awful. It can't be easy though to play centre back one game, then midfield the next.
Frecklington - 7.5 - probably Freck's best game for us. He seems to be building up to be a vital part of our set up.
Palmer - 8.5 - so confident at the moment, and our most valuable player since his equalising goal at Mansfield. Fully deserved his start, and fully justified starting.
Rhead - 8.5 - Coventry just could not handle him. Two 90 minutes inside 4 days is a testament to how Danny has given him just 60 minutes a game most of the time.
Green - 8.0 - speed to match the skill of Palmer and the brawn of Rhead. This is the front three that will see us through the play offs.

Anderson - 6.5 - always the very best player to bring on when the opposition is tiring. Harry is still a long way from being a regular starter though.

Allsop 7 fine save, done, as was our defence by the Cruyff turn for their second goal
Wharton 7.5 A fine fine player
Wilson 7 Nice to see him get a run out, theres more in the tank from him
Waterfall 7 Solid, secure, true warrior.
Eardley 7 had better games but he's quality and fingers crossed for a new contract soon.
Frecklington 7.5 Best game I've seen him play since return, nice passing and linking.
Woodyard 7 Tenacious snapping terrier like approach.
Bostwick 7 Although passing a little off he like Waterfall is warrior material.
Palmer 7.5 Two goals, ran his socks off, didn't get booked for celebrating.
Green. 7 Ran his socks off, as he's done all season.
Rhead 8 MOM Sometimes it doesn't go well for Rheady, but in the majority of games it does. A screamer of a goal, a nice set up for Freck...could've been lobbing the keeper? The big man wins everything, flicks, kicks and subtlety that opposition fans just can't see.

Anderson 6. Always a threat on the break
Whitehouse 6 Not really enough time but locked up midfield
Williams 7 Only on for a short time but played a nice cameo.

Cowleys 8 Either a masterstroke selection or their hand was forced by injuries and square pegs fell into round holes.
A delightful evening one of my best in over 40 years supporting the Imps. Nice to share with my brother, son and friend. UTI

Allsop - 7 - terrific save near the end, bit casual with some clearances
Wilson - 8 - slotted in without drama, involved in attack having effort blocked before Ollie bagged his 2nd
Waterfall - 8 - magic hat in good working order, kept an unfamiliar defence organised against a dangerous ball-playing side, particularly in periods of seige in the second half
Wharton - 8 - proved his ability and versatility, not a natural left back and few forward forays, but defended well and can pick a pass
Eardley - 7 - played with usual calmness and intelligence
Woodyard - 7 - worked hard, couple of uncharacteristic loose passes
Bostwick - 7 - midfield beast as a change from defensive beast
Frecklington - 9 -best I've seen him, set up one scored one, worked his socks off and seemed to wind up some of the Coventry players to boot
Palmer - 9 - took goals well, he always seems to hit the target. Worked hard on the left, defensively suspect but played the role effectively otherwise. Shame the blocked Rehady effort!
Rhead - 9 -sublime mix of beast and beauty, goal was special, as was chipped pass for Freck. Terrorised a suspect defence. Bully? Look to your defenders, Mr Robins!
Green - 8 - continues to work for the cause of 4-3-3, after Saturday's monumental effort seemed understandably less energetic last night, but some clever runs and touches.

Anderson -6.5 - whether not fully fit or confidence down, not as effective as earlier in the season. Helped close the game out but snatched a chance he'd have buried in the autumn.

Other 2 subs worth a mention as they both contributed
Williams - 7 - seemed be be a ball magnet when he came on, chased, harried and retained possession very effectively.
Whitehouse - 7 - drew a good save when put through late on.

This is what can happen when all is not well. Other player ratings weren't much better on Cov Forum.

Burge -1
Grimmer 0
Willis 0
McDonald -1
Haynes -1
Kelly 0
Doyle 6
Bayliss 2
Shipley 2
Clarke-Harris 0
McNulty 0

Subs - Don't care

Robins 0

What an amazing night!

Allsop 7
Wilson 7
Waterfall 7.5
Wharton 7
Eardley 7.5
Woodyard 6
Bostwick 6
Frecklington 7
Palmer 8.5 MOTM
Rhead 8.5
Green 6.5

Anderson 5.5
Williams 6

Storming performance that took Coventry (and us) totally by surprise.

Allsop - 7 - couldn't be faulted for the goals. Solid and dependable in a presurised game.
Wilson - 7.5 - considering his lack of match fitness an awesome display.
Waterfall - 7.5 - solid and commanding.
Wharton - 8 - looked to be on gas & air at the end. Very composed and solid.
Eardley - 6.5- maybe just me but he seemd a bit slower (knock on Saturday?) beaten a couple of times and less effective offensivly, IMO.
Woodyard - 7.5 - worked hard to close down the middle & deny space & time to Coventry.
Bostwick - 7 - great to have him playing. So solid.
Frecklington. - 8.5 - my MoM. Got about really well, always made himself available, linked play superbly & scored a goal.
Palmer - 8.5 - Earned a start and was superb holding the ball and bringing others into play. Two really well taken goals.
Rhead - 8 - brilliant goal, gave the Coventry defence a lesson and a really hard time. Brought others into the game with his beautiful lay-offs.
Green - 7 - worked very hard for little reward and constantly stretched the Coventry defence with Palmer.

Anderson - 6 - still not 100% but worked hard to help close out the game.
Williams- 6 - as for Harry. Would like to see him given a start as I think he could be quite good now. Strong and holds the ball well.

Last edited:
Allsop 6 Some poor kicking
Wilson 7
Waterfall 7
Wharton 7 Need to sign him
Eardley 7.5 Done what he does well
Woodyard 6
Bostwick 6
Frecklington 7 Much better
Palmer 8.5 Complete class today
Rhead 8 Very good goal
Green 6

Anderson 6
Williams 6

Last edited:
Allsop - 7 - One great save, no chance with goals.
Eardley - 7 - Another composed performance overall.
Wilson - 7.5 - Has a natural quality, turns up and immediately fits in.
Waterfall - 8 - a good captain's performance.
Wharton - 8 - An improvement, such an assured defender.
Woodyard - 7.0 - Up against their best, gave as much as he took.
Bostwick - 6.5 - Hard into the tackle but gave the ball away.
Frecklington - 8.0 - His best game in recent weeks.
Palmer - 8.5 - Wonderful first touch, great skill, two goals, MOM.
Rhead - 8.5 - Wonder goal and Rheady at his best.
Green - 8.0 - Better for being able to share his responsibilities.
Anderson - 6.5 - Still fighting for his place, getting there.