Rate The Players v Bury | Vital Football

Rate The Players v Bury

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Second in the league despite what many fans thought was a very tough start, still unbeaten, and a 100% home record. Twelve scored in five games, with only three conceded. The first side to score two against Bury this season, and Saturday's visitors Notts County are bottom of the league.

So when was the last time a City player scored a penalty in three successive games? Big John has now scored in four successive games, Pett dominates again, Chapman and Smith make their Football League debuts, a game of two halves, and...we win when not playing particularly well. The sign of a good side? A never-say-die attitude? Or do we just have some good players? Tell us.

6.0 is the par score, use half-marks and give us your comments too.

Deadline is 5pm on Thursday please.

Smith
Eardley
Bostwick
Shackell
Toffolo
Frecklington
Chapman
Pett
Green
Rhead
Andrade

Anderson
Akinde
McCartan

OK, from watching on iFollow:

Smith - 7. I don't think he put a foot wrong and the goal wasn't his fault.
Eardley - 6. Some uncharacteristically poor crosses and ditto sloppiness once or twice.
Bostwick - 6. I didn't think he was as bad as some evidently did, but the poor defending of the corner they scored from plus the one immediately before seemed to be partly down to him...
Shackell - 6. ...and partly down to Shackell. Otherwise I don't think he was really tested.
Toffolo - 6. Fairly average. Did as well as Eardley.
Frecklington - 7. An extra half point for being on the spot to score the winning goal and the way he tucked it away.
Chapman - 6.5. Not the worst player in the first half, but with a change to just two in midfield he was always going to be the one midfielder taken off.
Pett - 8. Man of the first half and man of the match. Not perfect but our best midfielder on the night.
Green - 6. Did OK. Overall better than Rhead and unfortunate to be taken off, but I suppose with McCartan needing to be brought on but not played on the wing there was no alternative.
Rhead - 6. Just, for his first 20 minutes or so, when as I've said on another thread he did more as a target man than Akinde did in twice as long.
Andrade - 6.5. Would have been less except he was heavily involved in both goals. A poor first half, and only looked any good after we'd equalised. I was expecting him to be the one replaced by McCartan, but I assume he stayed on because Danny Cowley didn't want the latter out on the left wing.
Anderson - 6.5 Showed some typical energy and had a couple of runs into the box without anything really coming of them.
Akinde - 6. Have to give that for putting the penalty away but it was almost his only effective contribution, although he did play his part in the build-up to the second goal.
McCartan - 6.5. Started slowly then had a very effective spell before seeming to fade out again.

Smith 7 - Very assured performance. Handling and distribution were very good.
Eardley 5.5 - A very un-Eardley like display. Gave the ball away a few times and seemed very sluggish.
Bostwick 5 - Caught out a few times and a few too many aimless punts into the air.
Shackell 5 - Was expecting much better. Very slow and looked like he was running in treacle at times.
Toffolo 5 - Unconvincing.
Frecklington 6.5 - Very composed finish. Not fantastic but at least he tried to make things happen but sloppy in possession.
Chapman 5 - Good first 20 minutes but then got bogged down and needed far too much time on the ball. Still looks a terrific prospect though.
Pett 8 - Ran City’s midfield and was the only player making us tick. Has to be a regular starter from now on.
Rhead 5 - Won the odd flick but barely offered a threat up top.
Green 5 - Not effective in a front three and never really seemed to get in the game.
Andrade 6 - Got on the ball a lot and was instrumental in the two goals. Needs more end product.
Anderson 6.5 - Added some flair and drive when he came on.
Akinde 6 - Another cool penalty but apart from that had no other shots and still does not look match fit.
McCartan 7 - Got us moving forward more late on and made his presence felt.

WHAT HE SAYS

Except I didn't notice Freck at all until the chance just before the second goal and then the goal......................but then goals win games and my years of City supporting have seen kaboodles of chances like that second goal go wasted.

Think pretty much everyone had a below-par perfomance in the first half. The changes, allied to another penalty and a growing desire to win got us over the line. Well done Danny & Nicky as much as the players.

Smith - 6.5 - decent full league debut. Did what he had to do. Goal not his fault. Made some good catches & distribution not bad, if a little hurried at times.
Eardley - 6 - for him, below par performance. Didn't quite seem on the game for most of the match. Poor crosses, caught out a couple of times, wayward passes. Was he injured or just cramp?
Bostwick - 6 - still not convinced by him and Shackell together. Poor passing and caught out a few times. Not up to his usual.
Shackell - 6 - as above. Unsettled at times (was this down to him seeming having to cover Bossie going all over the place and Toffolo leaving gaps behind him?
Toffolo - 5.5 - tried hard but under pressure much of the game down his side. Supported Andrade well but some poor crosses.
Frecklington - 6.5 - don't think he was as bad as some suggest. Fought hard to try and keep midfield together and got better as game went on. Great composure for goal.
Chapman - 6.5 - great debut for a 17 year-old. Showed great composure at times when midfield under pressure. Not out of place at all & subbed only for the benefit of the team shape.
Pett - 9 - MoM by a mile. Was all over the pitch intercepting and driving team forward. Showed superb control and composure under pressure (against two or three at times) & always looking to produce something positive.
Rhead - 6.5 - did what Rheady does. Loved his sprint for the ball ??
Green - 7 - always looking to put defenders under pressure. Unlucky not to get breakthrough at times.
Andrade - 6.5 - not sure what to make of him. Clearly a terrific player in there, but work in progress? Maybe once formation and players around him settle down he'll be better at delivering.

Anderson - 6.5 - covering a huge amount of ground getting forward and back, but is the defensive side affecting his forward game?
Andrade - 6 - what is his game? Doesn't appear to do much, yet is already one of the Division's top scorers (though penalties have helped?).
McCartan - 6.5 - provided a spark when he came on. Works hard and can take on defenders.

Smith 7
Eardley 6.5
Bostwick 6
Shackell 6
Toffolo 5.5
Frecklington 6.5
Chapman 6
Pett 8 MOTM
Green 6.5
Rhead 5
Andrade 5.5

Anderson 5
Akinde 6.5
McCartan 6.5

Smith - 7
Eardley - 6
Bostwick - 4
Shackell - 5
Toffolo - 6
Frecklington - 6.5
Chapman - 6
Pett - 7.5
Green - 6
Rhead - 6
Andrade - 6

Anderson - 6.5
Akinde - 6.5
McCartan - 7

Smith 7.5
Eardley 5
Bostwick 5
Shackell 5.5
Toffolo 5
Frecklington 6.5
Chapman 6
Pett 8
Green 5.5
Rhead 5
Andrade 5.5

Anderson 6
Akinde 6
McCartan 7

Smith - 6.5
Eardley - 6
Bostwick 5.5
Shackell - 5.5
Toffolo - 5.5
Frecklington - 6.5
Chapman - 6
Pett - 7
Green - 6
Rhead - 5.5
Andrade - 6
Anderson - 6
Akinde - 6
McCartan - 6.5

Smith- 7 -had a decent game. Made a terrific save in the 2nd half Eardley 6.5 -made some timely tackles, but felt l Bostwick 6 -Only par performance yin and yan game– gave the ball away a few times, but got his head in and made some good clearances Shackell 5.5 I wasn’t impressed tbh. Struggled against their forwards Toffolo 5.5 below par, attempted some runs but got shut out each time and passed back, poor crossing Frecklington 6.5 - below par and seems to play with his back to their goal(strange as he was playing a deep midfield role most of the game). The goal gave him an extra point from me. Chapman 6- had a decent first game. Was par. I thought his body language, presence and positioning was not out of place. Lost the ball but marshalled their player out of the penalty area and forced a throw in. Cool under pressure. Pett 7.5 was busy. He’s sharp and reads the game well. Green 6.5 had a few half chances but didn’t get to pull the trigger. Needs better supply Rhead 5.5 I thought he was below par. Ineffective, and got his head on the end of a cross in the 2nd half from about 7 yards. Needed to put some power on it, but just let it bounce off him into the goalies arms. Has he put weight on? Andrade 6 he wasn’t all that. Seemed out of his depth. Anderson 7 – added some much needed holding the ball and running with it. Once he came on things improved.-(and that’s not a pop at Chapman) Akinde 6- below par as far as any sort of contribution. He’s not suited to neat hold up and lay it off play, just never got in the game. Good penalty which earns him half a point from me. McCartan 7- showed some excellent touches. Classy. Effective in knitting the midfield to the forward line.

Smith - 6.5
Eardley - 6
Bostwick - 6.5
Shackell - 6
Toffolo - 5.5
Frecklington - 6.5
Chapman - 6
Pett - 7.5
Green - 6
Rhead - 5.5
Andrade - 6

Anderson - 6
Akinde - 6
McCartan - 6.5

Smith 6 nothing wrong but not all that convincing yet
Eardley 5.5
Bostwick 6
Shackell 6
Toffolo 5.5
Frecklington 6.5
Chapman 6
Pett 7.5
Green 6
Rhead 6
Andrade 7... both goals directly from his play, also gets on the ball a lot.

Anderson 6
Akinde 6
McCartan 7

Still difficult to tell who certain players are ! but here we go.

Smith 6.5, deserved his chance and took it, a few decent saves looked assured.
Eardley 6.0, not his best display, looked unusually dodgy at times, got forward when he was allowed to.
Boswick, 6.5, got under the ball too much, but held things together, best in midfield, imo.
Toffolo, 6.0, at his best going forward, a bit open at times down his side.
Shackell, 6.0, solid, good in the air, slows it down nicely, no panic.
Frecklington 6.5, had to ask if he was playing in the first half, much stronger in the second, followed his goal in well
Chapman 6.0, first view, quite a prospect, made mistakes but made sure he sorted them, one great cross field pass, scouts watching last night.
Pett, 9.0, didnt rate him last season, but certainly come out fighting this, ran the show second half, a real footballer in there.
Green 6.0, well marked, always available, no real chances
Rhead 6.0, not so sure about his contribution, always a handful though, nice chat with their keeper, maybe best off the bench
Andrade - 6.5, bad foul on him early, they must have watched the Swindon game as to his pace, best out left and not drifting, his effort made the winner
Anderson, 6.0, his pace had them on the back foot, kept their no.3 where he should be
Akinde - 6.0, took pen very cooly, needs to make more runs and be available, maybe not fully fit yet.
McCarten - 6.5, didnt realise he was on due to the crap names on the shirts, expect he did ok though !
UTI.

Smith 6.5 - Looked slightly nervous, have no problem with that, claimed what he went for, did well.
Eardley 5.5 - Below par from Eards, not assured, poor crossing for him.
Bostwick, 5.0 - Well below par, very poor first half, little energy, backed off which is not like him, not 100% fit?
Shackell, 5.5 - Unbelievably slow, not match fit, good headers but only if the ball came to him.
Toffolo, 6.0 - A decent attacking wing back, not sure he believes in defence.
Frecklington 6.0 - Anonymous first half, grew into the game as he realised he was fitter than he thought. Scored the winner.
Chapman 6.0 - As good as those around him first half, did little wrong, a great experience for him.
Pett, 8.0 - Showed his quality, the only player to provide a full 90 minute performance. Read the game well and MOM by a country mile.
Green 6.5 - Ran well but poor service always wide of goal. Wish he would come inside and take a powerful shot.
Rhead 5.5 - Won most of what was sent his way first 20 minutes, theatricals don't help his cause.
Andrade - 6.0 - Another one that did not put himself about first half possibly to protect his fitness. Bursts of quality, came into it more towards the end.

Anderson, 6.0 - Made a difference initially but crowded out once they realised his pace.
Akinde - 6.0 - Another good penalty but otherwise he seems a little imobile. No thought to anticipate Eardley's through balls.
McCartan - 6.5 - The boy has natural ability and took over as soon as he came on. A creative little genius who made a difference.

I have an odd observation to make. I think Pets performance was one of the best I have seen in a team that actually played so badly on the night.
Smith 6.5 didn't do anything wrong.
Eardley 6.0 got caught on the ball a few times but no one was offering an option for him to pass to.
Boswick 5.0 worst performance for the Imps.
Shackle 5.5 very slow at times and put the ball out of play when he could have tried to play it out.
Toffolo 6.0 redeemed himself a bit with some great runs down the touchline in second half.
Frecklington 6.0 for putting the winner away so well.
Chapman 6.0 great future but still only young . seemed to loose a bit of confidence after they scored.
Pett 8.5 excellent amongst some very average performances.
Green 6.0 never stopped running but nothing seemed to work for him on the night.
Rhead 5.5 tried his best as always but wasn't his night.
Andrade 6.0 a very frustrating player for me. As obviously got a lot of talent but struggles to use it sometimes.
Anderson 5.5 very like Andrade .
Akinde 5.5 for me so far not living up to his reputation. The only plus factors are his penalty taking skills.
McCartan 6.0 very skilful but I get the impression that sometimes he fries to be too clever with his passes. Sometimes you have to take the easy option

Smith - 7 handled the ball well, took crosses, some strategic errors on recycling the ball.
Eardley 6 made me nervous last night, still good on attack.
Bostwick 5.5 also made me nervous, wondered if he was pissed off playing at the back.
Shackell 6.5 could figure out his leadership qualities on iFollow
Toffolo 6.5 love to watch him attack, room for him and Andrade, maybe not. Needs to be more careful when he goes forward.
Frecklington 6.5, not as touch as Bossy in midfield.
Chapman 6 nervous and not well supported, perhaps not on method, but certainly enthusiastic. Loved the cross field pass with the outside of his left foot.
Pett 8 - MOM
Green 6 - not a good game, didn't make me thinks something could happen.
Rhead 6 - needs to bulk up a bit
Andrade 7.5 To me looks so dangerous when he gets the ball; the one player I think "something could happen here".

Anderson 6.5 provided badly needed width
Akinde 6.5 Not a fan of his penalty kicks. Held the ball up well
McCartan 6.5 good control on the edge of the box

Think it was the first time DC didn't tell us the whole truth in post match interview. Said he was pleased, but I think he was really pissed off.

Smith. 7 competent and assured. Looks to launch attacks with good and quick distribution
Eardley. 5 very of the pace and made several mistakes I possession
Shackell. 6 Thought he held things together first half when Bozzie had a bit of a mare. Steady Eddie.
Bozzie. 5. Not the usual Bozzie for 60 minutes but once we went ahead and they stopped playing through us he was dominant as usual but lucky to get away with lapses early on.
Toffollo. 6. Ok , looked a bit flashy as opposed to solid for a full back.
Freck. 5.5. Anonymous for most of the game but a touch of class and composure to score the winner.
Chapman. 6. Calm on the ball and a decent debut but balance in midfield wasn’t right so didn’t stand out.
Pett. 8. Excellent again, good strength for a little un and ran with ball to keep possession and pull their defence out of shape. On form and should be first name on the team sheet for a midfield slot.
Green. 5. Ran about but didn’t happen for him but feeding off scraps
Rhead. 4. Why? So predictable and including him dictates we play crap one dimensional football. Usual fake injury stopped a promising attack for us after receiving a little nudge.
Andrade. 6. Not his best showing but always showed for the ball and didn’t hide when things didnt go his way.

Anderson 6. Pace and power stretched them which was required but again final ball is his downfall. Waiting for him to develop into the full package.
Akinde. 5.5 Not that noticeable but part of the changes that swung the game and calmness personified with the penalty
McCarton. 6.5 Helped change the game with being able to control the ball, show good skill and mobility and take players on.

We've ground out 4 points from the last 2 games. On paper that would seem decent. However I can't help feeling lucky as we've not been very good against Grimsby or Bury.

Smith 6 - Not a bad debut. Claimed what he went for.
Eardley 5- I've grown to expect decent passing, runs down the right wing and good crosses into the box. Saw none of this. Sloppy from a good player.
Bostwick, 5 - Didn't look fit
Shackell 5 - Didn't look fit. Unconvincing peformance
Toffolo 6 - Got forward well but not the best in defending
Frecklington 6 - Like most below par first half but much better second and decent winning goal
Chapman 6 - Few mistakes but a par performance over the 90 mins
Pett 7.5 - Got everything right in midfield and MOTM
Green 6 - Busy as ever but got little service
Rhead 5.5 - Bit predictable now. Refs naturally assume playacting
Andrade 6 - Not sure what to make of his first half but much better in the second

Anderson 6 - Instantly livened things up with his pace
Akinde 6 - Another good penalty. Doesn't look like scoring in open play. Expected more from him.
McCartan 6.5 - Decent performance when he came on. Some quality touches