Rate our Window- a pre season appraisal | Page 2 | Vital Football

Rate our Window- a pre season appraisal

I would say that once we bring in Byram, we should be looking to sell and off load the likes of Velios, Ward, Lam, Manc, Henderson and Evtimov.
Loan out Clough and Smith.
Come January, and I agree with most on here, Forest may well push for that Striker and try to move Murphy out to complete the squad for the 2nd half. So, get Byram, then off load before the season starts, and have a forward target for Jan.

Top 7 for all 3 relegated teams is incredibly unlikely.

That's what I initially thought, but I think it could be possible as none of the relegated teams are under any significant distress as far as I'm aware.

I had all of them to finish in the playoffs (along with us).

Best window for years. A mix of exciting players and proven championship players whilst shipping out the deadwood for a profit. 9/10

Got to agree this is the best window for a long long time.

Trying to keep my expectations in check, so for me it's a top ten finish, maybe flirting with the play offs which would be good considering we have had 2 very poor seasons.

For the first time in 7-8 years I'm actually looking forward to the season with some hope.

Unfortunately it is looking less and less likely now that we will have a competent right back for the season.

I just don't see us getting promoted with Tandayi Darikwa defending. Maybe Byram will still come in but the odds are lengthening each day it isn't done.

To be fair to Darikwa he played 21 games in Burnley’s promotion to premiership.

Which is what is so puzzling, given the barely non-league standard we saw under Warburton. At times he was absolutely atrocious and an utter liability IMO.

In fairness though, beyond those 21 league games for Burnley (in a settled side RB was a position they chopped and changed), Darikwa has very little pedigree. Before that he was at chesterfield and non league. I didn't realise this but those 21 games are his only previous experience at this level and he was bought on the basis of those 21 games

He got better under AK (I still think how much better has been exaggerated, but it was from a very low base where it would be nearly Impossible to get worse) but most of that was going forward. He still performed worse than Lichaj in defensive stats.

I'm not saying he is a terminally bad player- more that I don't trust him and after last season I don't think any of us have any reason to other than blind optimism. He can earn that trust if he performs well, but after last season I don't feel inclined to see him have that chance if we can get someone better

Last edited:
Bryam would be an excellent signing but he's an attacking fullback, defensively he's decidedly average - which is why West Ham have been looking to upgrade and why he's rarely played for them.

That's not a terrible thing if we are playing with two relatively defensive midfielders - the onus will be on our fullbacks to prove the width and on whoever is playing in front of him to provide defensive support.

If you're expecting him to be a defensive rock then you're mistaken as to the type of player he is.

overwhelming promotion prospects according to most of them, and so they should be. Karanka will be sacked if we arent pushing top 3 most of the season. he has his players and he needs to get us up. Come onnnnnn. Guess i understand the sad peop[le being scared to get excited after perhaps looking daft in previous seasons but we pretty much nailed on for top 6, I just hope we have a great start and just stay top all year. You reds

We finished 17th last season and some of our signings were just to stand still.

This has been a great window and I can’t see anything other than top ten but to describe us as overwhelming promotion prospects is a tad too optimistic for me at this stage.

Ask me again after the first ten games when we have an idea how the season may pan out for us and others...

Top 7 for all 3 relegated teams is incredibly unlikely.

That's correct - historically, relegated sides tend to struggle and get to grips with the Championship straight away (Newcastle)

It's going to be more of what the manager does than the players on the park early on - Players who struggle from the off tend to drop into bad form and that's where any manager worth his salt comes in.

Even though they have their parachute money they now can't use it to buy themselves out of trouble, so I don't see them getting to grips with this league immediately.

Last edited:
Like I said in my post above regarding relegated sides coming down they tend to struggle when coming to terms with the Championship -
point in question - Leeds 3 - Stoke 1 ---- WBA 1 - Bolton 2.

Only Swans let me down :slap: Bastardos.

ive seen nothing in first two games to dent my enthusiasm. A team that will absolutely just keep improving andplay most of this league off the park If WBA are one of the benchmarks theres no way you could watch yesterdays game and not fancy us to finish above them