Grabban

INS -

Nyland
Moreira
McGinn
Bolasie
El-Ghazi
Abraham

For me the first obvious think is we're down on numbers.... but then Green, Elphick, Gabby and Samba hardly featured so it's not a massive issue.

Secondly, when you look at like for like it's very much mix and match for me...

McGinn is better than Onomah
Bolasie has the potential to be as good as Snodgrass
El-Ghazi should be better than Green
Abraham should be as good if not better than Grabban

However Moreira doesn't seem much improvement on Steer, Nyland is worse than Johnston and we simply haven't replaced Terry.

All in all then, I'd say in midfield and up front we're pretty much on-par.. maybe slightly better than last season but the defence is shocking and for that reason I'm saying our transfer window was a 4 out of 10.

(Obviously if you consider how things were BEFORE the takeover then I think we'd all vote 10 out of 10 as it looked at one point we'd have a team full of teenagers, but lets judge it based on post takeover)

Got to say, without even ready the above post, I was thinking 4/10. After reading the above post, I still say 4/10.

Nyland will come good, I'm sure of that. However, what is so blatantly obvious is the lack of CBs. For this reason alone, I'm out.....oops, my mind went astray then for a moment.

i voted 3 because you said 5 was the same as last season having no defence and at the moment a crap goalkeeper (lets hope he gets better) puts my vote to 3.

Forgot Tuanzebe - is he the mysterious cover at CB??

Overall I like some of the individual players we have got in, but as a transfer strategy - absolute pants. Wouldn't give it more than 3/10

The imbalance in the squad is bordering on incompitence. 1 experienced central defender, 1 left back and 4 right backs within a squad that produces teams which are set up defensively is incomprehensible! Striker yes, central mid yes, but did we really need two goalkeepers and two wingers when one of each would probably provide the necessary competion for places?

In mitigation of the facts, the financial uncertainty and lack of a CEO may well have hampered recruitment, but IMO the lack of a clear strategy both on and off the field in terms of tactics and transfers will ultimately lead to the managers downfall and another year in the Championship.

McGinn, Bolasie and Abraham all look great signings to me, I think Axel gets a far harder time on here than he deserves purely because he isnt our player. El Ghazi - not sure on him yet, I worry when we play the likes of Small Heath and Bolton that he'll go missing when the tackles are flying in. He doesnt work back much either. I'm not sold on either keeper yet either - both have pulled off good saves but have also made huge blunders. Is it the defence causing the keepers to panic, or a dodgy keeper causing the defence to fall to pieces? Could well be both.
From where I thought we would be 3 months ago I'd give it a 10, but since the takeover I'm as baffled as anyone why we haven't got another CB in - so probably only a 6. Hopefully we are in discussions with JT's agent right now.

McGinn looks a great signing. The other two I don't know yet, my ignorance of them, nothing else. No good me pretending they are great or indeed poor signings, I don't know.

Seems ludicrous to me what Bruce has done defender wise.

2 out of 10 for me. In all my life watching, playing and coaching, the foundation of EVERY successful team is the central spine. Currently we have an inexperienced (in this country/league) goalkeeper, and a horrendous situation at centre back. I know I’m in a minority in that I’m not a big fan of Chester, but he doesn’t fill me with confidence and He’s the best we’ve got.... Getting rid of Samba was a mistake even before the takeover happened and to then subsequently move Elphick out without securing a replacement was pure stupidity... I still think Jedinak might come good, but that still leaves us with no cover....

I'd say two and a half taking the whole of the dealings in to account.
Nyland; will improve when he has a defence in front of him but, to sign a foreign keeper with no experience of British football, when there were good experienced keepers available and for free, was silly.
To keep Bunn on the books while letting Steer, who's ten times the keeper, go on loan was also silly.
Letting Suliman and Elphick out on loan, leaving the club with no more than one experienced centreback and two kids, wasn't silly, it was criminally stupid. I think everyone and his brothers blind dog, everyone that is except our manager, can see that Jedinak will never be a centreback.
Bringing in Bolasie is a huge gamble, here is a player who has been out for pretty close to a year through injury and he is expected to perform to his previous standard, even though in the games he has had since his comeback started, he has been nowhere near, hence his availability for loan.
The lack of interest in rebalancing the defence by not trying for a leftback and leaving attempts for a centreback until the final few days of the window was stupid. As was letting Mitch Clark go on loan, where he is earning rave reviews.
Then bringing in another clubs 20 year old U23 reserve and playing him at rightback, where he looks most unsuited, instead of any of the 2500 rightbacks we already have on the books is indeed the height of stupidity.
The only signing that has been an improvement is McGinn, with possibly El Ghazi proving to be a long-term improvement.
Abraham could be a mistake or a blessing, depending on the system he's played in.
Definitely a two and a half on the whole but, just to be positive I've gone 3.

2 out of 10 for me. In all my life watching, playing and coaching, the foundation of EVERY successful team is the central spine. Currently we have an inexperienced (in this country/league) goalkeeper, and a horrendous situation at centre back. I know I’m in a minority in that I’m not a big fan of Chester, but he doesn’t fill me with confidence and He’s the best we’ve got.... Getting rid of Samba was a mistake even before the takeover happened and to then subsequently move Elphick out without securing a replacement was pure stupidity... I still think Jedinak might come good, but that still leaves us with no cover....

I think signing Samba was the mistake and the bigger error was in selling Baker, who had improved quite a lot, after his season in Bristol and would have learned so much with JT being here. Keeping him and we wouldn't be so deep in the doo-doo now. Forseeable as both Terry and Samba were on one year contracts.

2 and he's lucky to get that only because of McGinn.

The way he has gone about sorting out the defence and conducting transfers is a shambles and I still think he is rather lucky he hasn't been asked to go.

Attacking wise so far with el Ghazi and high hopes for Bolasie and Abraham and midfield with McGinn is very good but the failure to sign a centre back sticks out like a sore thumb and the keeper looks dodgy, so for me 5/10

Attacking on paper bloody first class to be fair. 8/10 Defence absolute dogs dinner 3/10 CB & LB and 2 goalkeepers
1 keeper who looks dodgy but is behind a terrible defence and 1 for the future who probably needs another 2 years before he is ready to be tested.

I'm with you on Chester mate, too slow clumsy but as you say the best we have, he's liked mainly because he never misses a game. He's the minimum standard required for this league. I know that will come over as harsh to some but .....

If Chester was as good as some think then he would never have played outside of the Premier League.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's with us but when he plays alongside a poor or average CB then those faults in his game get highlighted.

Last edited:
McGinn looks a bargain and Al Garzi? looks a good prospect. Not convinced by Nyland yet but he may settle. I'll rate Bolasie and Abrahams when I've seen how they improve the team but the defensive situation is a shambles and should have been the first thing to be sorted. A 4 at the most for me right now.

It was a poor transfer window. The very obvious problems at the back are code red issues. The reliance on loan players makes me uncomfortable too.

The club was a complete shambles this summer and I expected the new guys to hit the ground running a little harder than they did.

I can't see that we will get these problems sorted out with free agents or loans.

3/10

Don't think its just about the ins and outs. There are other players still here who we all would have hoped to get off the books.