Rate (or rant about if you like) the ref v Northampton (Home) | Page 4 | Vital Football

Rate (or rant about if you like) the ref v Northampton (Home)

Yes I was (hence the green which I thought was the universally acknowledged colour for sarcasm/irony) and I know he wasn’t on the pitch but I’m confident someone, somewhere would have made it out to be his fault. I guess when you have to explain your post, it’s kinda missed it’s point.

Use a smiley, to.back it up. I didn't know green represented that, but I guessed anyway ?

3/10.

I thought decisions he gave were correct in the main, bar when Andrade was going through in the first half when their defender slipped on the Co-op side.

But it was the things that he didn't give, which were infuriating. He completely lost is at times, didn't he? Freck gets whacked in the opening minute, no free-kick, stone wall penalty (maybe two?) and in trying to be a macho, strong ref and asserting his authority on the game, he over compensated and gave us little.

I don't think there are many refs at this level who can cope with reffing in front of the numbers we have. Some look out of their depth full stop. I don't think yesterday's was out of his depth as a ref, just as above, he wasn't giving what he saw and tried to portray a strong, confident ref when he was anything but.

One for 79imp Mark Whiley has done the match report in the flp and given him 7/10!
Seriously wtf

Ignored two nailed on penalties. Man was an embarrassment. 1/10

I’ve deliberately delayed my mark this week to allow my blood pressure to return to normal
We’ve had poor refs this season and we’ve had refs that have missed things (they’re human after all) but this guy seemed to have decided he wasn’t giving anything in our favour before kick off.
The red looked fair enough, but so many biased decisions from the assault on Freck, the non foul given against Bruno when through on goal when their guy slipped over and the various penalty shouts
Interestingly all the contentious incidents were mysteriously missing from the 10mins highlight package
He certainly seemed to thrive on his notoriety. Absolutely dreadful, I’d hoped that I’d already given my lowest mark of the season but sadly not
0.5/10

I've read elsewhere he was smirking as he left the pitch at half-time, he knew what he was doing.
I'm not giving you lot anything.
The whole of our coaching staff and subs went crazy when he didn’t give the handball in injury time, not seen a reaction like it for a while

Thankfully VAR arrives in the Prem next season, the sooner it reaches the EFL the better and these clowns are shown up for what they are .... purely incompetent.
I would rather have any incompetent referee than VAR. The whole point of attending a live match is the atmosphere, just being there and most importantly the thrill as the ball hits the back of the net. If VAR appears,we will end up waiting for someone who is deemed less able than Mr Toner, Coggins or Salisbury squinting at a TV to give their interpretation of the situation. 5 minutes later we still won't know if we've scored or conceded and the next day we all won't agree if the right decision was made. VAR is designed but not guaranteed to make sure the richest clubs eliminate the risk of lady luck because it might cost them millions and because the TV companies can have more incidents to talk about on the shows.

The fact it will ruin the spectator experience and at our level level have little effect on improving decisions is no worry to them.

I don't feel I should rate the ref it's a thankless job and tbh honest he was thankless on Saturday, what more is there to say.

This ref made many mistakes throughout the game. Early on he ignored a blatant injury causing assault on Freck. He mistakenly gave a couple of decisions in Andrade’s favour, then went to the other extreme and on several occasions gave against Andrade when he was clearly being fouled. He got the sending off right but did he have to be so enthusiastic about it? He was roundly abused at half time and on the evidence of the second half he made the cardinal error of taking it personally and it appears he may have deliberately given potentially match deciding decisions against the Imps, that were clearly incorrect. The latter means his score must be 0/10. If he is allowed to continue refereeing he should receive retraining on the handball rule.
As regards the Imps though we must move on and realise that abusing referees can be very counterproductive.

Looking through the programme he reffed the Swindon home game, made a few odd decisions that day too but nothing to the standard of Saturday.

I would rather have any incompetent referee than VAR. The whole point of attending a live match is the atmosphere, just being there and most importantly the thrill as the ball hits the back of the net. If VAR appears,we will end up waiting for someone who is deemed less able than Mr Toner, Coggins or Salisbury squinting at a TV to give their interpretation of the situation. 5 minutes later we still won't know if we've scored or conceded and the next day we all won't agree if the right decision was made. VAR is designed but not guaranteed to make sure the richest clubs eliminate the risk of lady luck because it might cost them millions and because the TV companies can have more incidents to talk about on the shows.

The fact it will ruin the spectator experience and at our level level have little effect on improving decisions is no worry to them.

Errr did you watch the World Cup last summer .... added to the drama immensely, and nobody left the stadium’s feeling robbed.

Why are we even debating this? It’s coming and there’s nothing you can do about it, just a matter of time.

So let’s bring video assistant referee to adjudicate. Ben Toner is the VAR official - over to you.
We let’s take this slowly it’s an important decision and the crowd will wait.
First - did it hit his hand - looks as though it did. Yes if we utilise VAR zoom mode I think I can detect some contact between the ball and the defenders arm. I am doing well.
Next - Is his arm in an unnatural position - well if you look his arms are level with his shoulders and not above is head, but his leg is raised and he is leaning back which could mean his arms have risen to help him balance. Yes why on earth would he want to give away a needless penalty against that horrible Lincoln team.
Then - let’s have a look at his eyes he’s not looking at the ball, so he can’t know if the Lincoln player will play the ball along the ground or in the air. It’s looking good.
Next - Let’s see how far the players are apart. Could the player have got out of the way of the ball. Can we get VAR tape measure system to calculate the distance between the players. This should only take another 30 second to get the measurement.
Yes we have it 1.27metres. Now what does that tell us. Its difficult to say, but I often get in the way of the players trying to pass the ball much further away than this. So perhaps he could n’t.
What else to consider, we’ll my mate Salisbury did n’t give it and he’s a good bloke and I’ve got to ref at Northampton next week which will be a bit tricky if I award the penalty. Perhaps there’s a better angle. If not l think I’m going to have to go with the original decision.

No better angles and the crowd are getting a bit restless. Salisbury mate. Yes I’ve got a decision for you. Yes we’ll done you can go with your original decision.

As others have said - the referee got one key decision right in the whole match (Harry's red). Handballs and essentially the strangling and pulling down of Bolger in the box obviously aren't penalties anymore.
No one else has mentioned (that I've seen) when ref also forgot about the advantage rule in the second half - big John was fouled by his man on half way, but still wriggled free and was away down the right hand side, in full control of the ball, and he blew up for the foul to book the man immediately and stop our attack.

You know I don't see the problem with the challenge on Freck, the defender jumped higher and won the header cleanly, Freck slightly mistimed his jump and was underneath the ball. It must of hurt don't get me wrong but that's what can happen when you go into a header slightly wrong.

I'll close this off tomorrow lunch