Rangers (away) | Page 4 | Vital Football

Rangers (away)

I can’t quite work out if you’re being serious. Why ignore the players we’ve signed. Or for that matter the star players we’ve (so far) retained?

Friendlies are irrelevant other than fitness. That’s why both teams changed a dozen players between ‘em.

We’re in the Championship because we earned that spot with an outstanding, title winning, campaign. How about using common sense and judging us on competitive matches. Hot takes just end up making you look silly. Whether that’s after a friendly, a league game......or even 10 games.

Ha ha we won a piss poor league one and suddenly you think we are brilliant....ffs

Players we've signed? Are you taking the piss? Nowhere near good enough, pal.

Shite.

Who have we signed then, apart from the kid from Peterboro?

Do indulge me..........

i dont want to sound to negative but that was a worrying sign in my book, to many players just not championship quality the new signings dont fill me with much confidence on paper, where are these new owners ? just all seems a farce... money needs pumping into this squad or its going to b a struggle all season and with the transfer window closing in a few week i cant see any real quality being brought in :/

Ha ha we won a piss poor league one and suddenly you think we are brilliant....ffs

Players we've signed? Are you taking the piss? Nowhere near good enough, pal.

Shite.
Winning any league is a huge achievement. Last season we also saw those very same players test themselves against some of the best in the country. In years past the core of a League 1 winning team has gone on to represent us in the Premier League. I’d like to see these Latics players given time to settle in and show what they’re capable of in the Championship.

Writing them off as “shite” because of a pre-season friendly sounds irrational and disrespectful.

Mcmanaman.......naismith.....Gibson.......perch....wow.

I bet the likes of Derby, stoke, West Brom, Swansea, Norwich, Boro, forest, sheff Utd, Wednesday, millwall, QPR, villa, Leeds and half a dozen more, are terrified.
I take it you weren’t watching Latics when McManaman last played for us. Unless you think at 27 his career is over and Cook made a mistake signing him?

Perch is no longer here. You could have mentioned James who by all accounts was one of our best performers today. Another was Walker who we signed in January but had a slow start. As I say, hot takes after games or about players, tends to make you look silly. For some it takes time to settle in.

Incidentally, I don’t expect any of the above teams to be terrified about playing us. Likewise for us facing them. We’ve earned the right to play in the same division. It is interesting you picked out a number of clubs who have spent tens of millions in the transfer market. Then throw Milwall in there......a team who reached the Championship after winning the play-offs in the “piss poor league”.

Last edited:
We need two signings ASAP. Firstly a LB for obvious reasons. Naismith was completely out of his depth. A CB because Alex Bruce is not good enough to be our first choice back up. Should the budget stretch I’d sack Gibson off and try to get someone better and a striker. God bless Vaughan he works his bollocks off and gives everything but he’s simply no threat to the goal. End of the day they were far better than us. Their interplay and two touch passages were better than anything we could offer. We stayed with them but the game went off with Dan Burn at HT. We need to pray to god he isn’t injured. But it’s very easy to see we are going to have exactly the same problem as the last two Championship seasons, putting the ball in the net.

Two positives though, Reece James is a serious player and will be a regular starter sooner rather than later. Walker also looked very sharp and it sounds like he’s been our best player this pre season. He’ll do well for us this season if given the chance.

1st half we looked ok against a 3/4 rangers side a bit like us but after the second half we looked ordinary against a pretty poor rangers side. My conclusion is we will tool and do well to stay up and Celtic have their 8th title in a row .

Just a quick question, can anyone name a game under Cook where the pressure HASN'T been on and we've played well?

I can't think of any looking back at the friendlies, cup games and dead rubbers at the end of the season.

My Dad told me when I was young you should never take notice of friendly results good or bad

I actually saw a few thinks quite differently to some of whats been said so far.

Judging on todays performance Liam Richardsons assessment that Naismith can play at left back is wide of the mark. I'm never seen him play properly before but the lad looked like he had no natural inkling for the position. What was most disappointing was as a natural attacking player in a system that is supposed to have very attacking full backs he rarely got forward and offered no threat. He was lucky Burn covered him so well as he made some bad mistakes in that first half that easily could've been goals. He can't start next week at LB after today. Kendricks comment about him making the position his own i think must be trolling, no other explanation!

Saw Gibson twice now and he looks way too slow and immobile to play as one of the def mid pivots. Those roles are so vital to the way we play and he looked completely not suited to the Morsy and Evans type of player we need to make us tick. He was quite wateful in posession, slow on the ball, no movement off the ball, too slow to press with intensity and his defensive positioning was suspect. Couple of decent passes and interceptions over the game but more bad than good for me and certainly not in the same galaxy as Morsy and not a patch on Power and ive not seen enough to think id ever use him over MacDonald either. I was absolutely fine to give him a chance but from what I've seen I'd not give him a deal no matter how cheap his wages are. Felt like we never controlled central mid as Morsy couldn't cover all the ground Gibson didn't. Need high energy in that position - that's not Gibson.

Reece James did relatively well defensively but felt he was poor going forward. Seemed hesitant to get forwards again and overall his crossing was iffy for me. We need attacking full backs and he just wasn't providing that width on the overlap like we need all game. Not a patch on Byrne so far, expected more initially tbh considering he was Chelsea young player of season. Got potential but suprised he's got so much praise.

McManaman looked very lively in the first half seemed to link up well with Powell. He wasn't at his glowing best but i thought he was more than decent in the first half and added some much needed pace and tried to carry the ball but inevitably wasn't as solid defensively tracking back and did tire as the game went on - but those are things we knew before we signed him as he's always been like that. Cook will probably have to work with him to get him to help track back more efficiently but i felt he showed encouraging glimpses of his spark. Think he'll get better as he gets settled in.

After preseason i dont understand the signing of Lopes, he was not ripping up trees at Peterborough but he supposedly had potential. I understand the logic of being one for the future but when money is tight can we really afford to do that? But ok even if we think he'll be worth the investment long term I'm completely confused about how we have been bringing him on late in games after a pile of other subs have already been prioritised over him and we put him out of position at right back a position he was very poor in for Peterborough. Surely if this lad is worth signing for so much he'd be used as at least one of your first couple of subs and in the right position. It feels more like he's a player making up the numbers rather than our biggest signing in the last 3 or so years. I'm a little concerned by initially how little enthusiasm it feels Cook has in using him.

On paper i understand the more critical posters about the names we've signed being questionable but refused to get down on them or write them all off before a ball was kicked and give them all the benefit of the doubt. And i still don't want to be super negative as it's only 2 preseason games and we've seen plenty of lads have a bad start before finding their feet and excelling when they settled in (Boyce, Burn, McCarthy, McArthur, etc). But many of the gripes expressed about some of our new lads seemed quite valid today and while I'm still going to give them a chance to play some competitive games before i accept them as duds the first impression on our recruitment are not so good. Maybe Joe Royle supposedly helping with recruitment will be a big help as we certainly need a few.

Thought Bruce had a nightmare once he came on he looked quite solid last season as a back up but today was very concerning. Vaughan tries hard but he's not big enough for us to lump high balls at him (if we going to be that direct i see why we interested in Wick), Jacobs started well but faded, Morsy excellent but dirty as usual, Dunks struggled without Burn, Powell was up for it and was only real point of creativity with the ball, Walker really impressive again and should start next week. Roberts offered very little i understand he's a back up but not sure if even on low wages he's going to offer much value this season. Not a good day at the office and i imagine Cook has gone nuts at them. Lets home that todays disappointment acts as motivation to put it right next Saturday when it actually matters.

Big issue for us is we play well when our def mids control the middle (so we dont long ball) and our full backs bomb on and our def mids never had the middle and our full backs hardly overlapped over the 90 mins. New left back and new def mid in Evans mould are key to doing our system - need them this week. And a new CB if Burn seriously injured. I'm praying he's ok for next week as today exposed how much we rely on him!

No one should be pleased with today and there are concerns but I'm not ready to go on suicide watch over a friendly. Let's see what happens this week in the market and next Sat on the pitch before we loose any sleep.

Cook said today what we already know in that Naismith isn't a natural left back. He also said Flores gives us an option there but hasn't had much of a pre season.

Another balanced review KDZ...... Just like C_Latic.

I agree that Burn's condition would be the biggest worry. I don't think Dunks is the same player without him.

Last edited:
You can’t compare us to Millwall. They play a completely different style, long ball bullish in your face, two big bas**rds up front and unlike us have a genuine home advantage at the Den. Their style is far more likely to trouble Championship teams than ours whereas ours suits better in L1 as most teams play Millwall’s style in that league, but with no quality. Ask yourself which style would you prefer to play against?

Agree with everything KDZ said bar about James. The only thing that let him down were a couple of final crosses. That will come in time. His general play was outstanding. Came under pressure a number of time from multiple Rangers players and came out with the ball or playing the right pass. Brilliant control and distribution when long ball were pinged his way. And he’s only going to get better. Make no mistake that boy is a serious talent.

Just got back,I've got a massive headache,everything has been already said,but I think the whole day turned into a massive disappointment.
I thought the Latics fans rendition of God save the Queen was excellent and warmly applauded by the Rangers fans.Highlight of the day for me.
3/10 must improve.