Rams v Blades | Vital Football

Rams v Blades

MadAmster

Vital Squad Member
Chalk and cheese. A game of 2 halves.

First half we were the better side...................... for 5 minutes. Bryson scored after 19 seconds without them having touched the ball. Next 4 minutes we may have had 1 or 2 more if Wilson had been able to get the ball past the first defender. After that it was the Blades in the ascendency. They had a massive amount of possession and left us with only counters to relieve the pressure. Sharp looked good, drifting into space in and around the box but they failed to give the pass he needed. Their pressure finally told on 41 minutes. An attack down the left, the ball came inside to Fleck who ran through 5 or 6 defenders before passing to Basham who was unmarked at the far post. Many will say Fozzy's fault for leaving Basham but he had moved inside to cover Sharp who had backed away from Tomori into space. Stay with your man or cover their main striker? IMO Fozzy made the right decision. Apart from the 2 goals, the defences were more than a match for everything that came their way.

I expected the 2nd half to be more of the same but FL and Jody had taken to a side room for a 5 minute chat on what to do to get back into the game before passing it on to the team in the dressing room. Sheff U were a shadow of their 1st half selves and Derby bossed the half and had the best of it. Poor last passes and crosses were the only blot on the 2nd half perofrmance. Finally, a very good cross from Fozzy found Marriott and he directed the ball into the net for what turned out to be the winner.

In general, Bryson was having a cracker before picking up a calf injury and having to go off and was replaced by Lawrence. The 2 full backs didn't have the best of games. Wilson and Lawrence still have to learn to move the ball on quicker. We need to practice crossing as well. Wilson still needs to learn to use his right foot. Jozefzoon was again poor. I can only think that FL's "love child" is injured or he (MB) HAS to be in the XVIII in place of Flo Jo on Wednesday.

Carson 6 never troubled apart from that one dropped ball late on
Forsyth 6 defensively OK but his distribution was poor
Bryson 7 Having great game before his injury
Tomori 5 Got away with losing his man a lot. Needs to learn not to lose his man
Keogh (C) 6 Solid at the back
Wilson 6 Too many too long runs, no right foot, too easily knocked off the ball
Mount 8 A 7 performance that rose to 8 with that goalline save
Waghorn 6 busy. Created his one chance himself put it just wide/over
Marriott 7 Good performance and a well taken winner
Bogle 6 not his best game of the season especially going forward
Huddlestone 7 cool, calm and collected

Substitutes used:
Lawrence Too far with the ball too often. Little end product.
Jozefzoon Poor
Davies came on, we went to a back 3 and he looked assured

Chalk and cheese. A game of 2 halves.

First half we were the better side...................... for 5 minutes. Bryson scored after 19 seconds without them having touched the ball. Next 4 minutes we may have had 1 or 2 more if Wilson had been able to get the ball past the first defender. After that it was the Blades in the ascendency. They had a massive amount of possession and left us with only counters to relieve the pressure. Sharp looked good, drifting into space in and around the box but they failed to give the pass he needed. Their pressure finally told on 41 minutes. An attack down the left, the ball came inside to Fleck who ran through 5 or 6 defenders before passing to Basham who was unmarked at the far post. Many will say Fozzy's fault for leaving Basham but he had moved inside to cover Sharp who had backed away from Tomori into space. Stay with your man or cover their main striker? IMO Fozzy made the right decision. Apart from the 2 goals, the defences were more than a match for everything that came their way.

I expected the 2nd half to be more of the same but FL and Jody had taken to a side room for a 5 minute chat on what to do to get back into the game before passing it on to the team in the dressing room. Sheff U were a shadow of their 1st half selves and Derby bossed the half and had the best of it. Poor last passes and crosses were the only blot on the 2nd half perofrmance. Finally, a very good cross from Fozzy found Marriott and he directed the ball into the net for what turned out to be the winner.

In general, Bryson was having a cracker before picking up a calf injury and having to go off and was replaced by Lawrence. The 2 full backs didn't have the best of games. Wilson and Lawrence still have to learn to move the ball on quicker. We need to practice crossing as well. Wilson still needs to learn to use his right foot. Jozefzoon was again poor. I can only think that FL's "love child" is injured or he (MB) HAS to be in the XVIII in place of Flo Jo on Wednesday.

Carson 6 never troubled apart from that one dropped ball late on
Forsyth 6 defensively OK but his distribution was poor
Bryson 7 Having great game before his injury
Tomori 5 Got away with losing his man a lot. Needs to learn not to lose his man
Keogh (C) 6 Solid at the back
Wilson 6 Too many too long runs, no right foot, too easily knocked off the ball
Mount 8 A 7 performance that rose to 8 with that goalline save
Waghorn 6 busy. Created his one chance himself put it just wide/over
Marriott 7 Good performance and a well taken winner
Bogle 6 not his best game of the season especially going forward
Huddlestone 7 cool, calm and collected

Substitutes used:
Lawrence Too far with the ball too often. Little end product.
Jozefzoon Poor
Davies came on, we went to a back 3 and he looked assured

First time I’ve been able to see them for six weeks, first half thought...’here we go again...hasn’t got any better’...second half mysteriously much improved so I’ll score according to halves.
Carson...not much to do but nearly threw it away 5/4.
Forsyth...4/5...for the cross.
Tomori...6/6
Keogh...6/6
Bogle....3/5
Wilson...5/4
Mount...6/7
Lawrence...3/6
Huddłestone...2/7
Waghorn...2/5
Marriott...6/7

Interesting, I didn't think anyone had a bad game, it was a good team performance.

1st half, apart from the goal where I thought a tackle should have been put in before the player got into the box, I thought we defended excellently, I can't remember Carson having to make a save of note. Also thought we should've had a 2nd when Wilson stole the ball only to misplace his pass to Marriott who was clean through. 2nd half, we held the ball better, and deserved our winner.

United are a good side and will hit a few 4 or 5 goal wins this season, beating them is no mean feat and I thought we were positive even in defence. A good win, I just hope it hasn't drained them too much for Wednesday's game.

It was a good win Adi but the difference between the two halves was huge. Credit to Lampard for that, but if Sheffield United had played to their strengths and put in good low crosses rather than over hit Crouch high ones in the first half I fear we would all be singing a very different tune. I didn’t think either full back defended at all well.

It was a good win Adi but the difference between the two halves was huge. Credit to Lampard for that, but if Sheffield United had played to their strengths and put in good low crosses rather than over hit Crouch high ones in the first half I fear we would all be singing a very different tune. I didn’t think either full back defended at all well.

Me neither which is why I think we might see Wisdom and/or Malone at the Hawthorns.

Latest Rams News