Rams pre-season friendlies now added to with Mansfield and Southampton | Vital Football

Rams pre-season friendlies now added to with Mansfield and Southampton

5 instead of the 7 of last season. This leads me to think Frank has a good idea of his squad already as just 5 matches doesn't leave much wiggle room for some players to make an impact IMO.

5 instead of the 7 of last season. This leads me to think Frank has a good idea of his squad already as just 5 matches doesn't leave much wiggle room for some players to make an impact IMO.

Not sure how you make that assumption,pre season games are all about match fitness, rarely do players make an impact in friendlies.

Also, the time is shorter, with the World Cup in between, so I guess he does think we have a good squad. I guess it all depends on who we sell as to who we are likely or able to bring in.

Not sure how you make that assumption,pre season games are all about match fitness, rarely do players make an impact in friendlies.

Not sure how you make that assumption. We played most of last season on the back foot and hitting on the counter. If we take Frank and Jody's comments thus far as genuine, and why shouldn't we, we will be playing (a) totally different system(s) next season and utilising a totally different mindset. Translating what he has said into formations I think we can forget 1-4-2-3-1. Of the other more usual formations, that leaves us with 1-3-5-2, 1-4-4-2 and 1-4-3-3 as the 3 most likely candidates.

All 3 of the systems also have variations. For instance, you could play Martin as the target man but, then again, you don't have to have a Martin type hold up player in a 1-4-3-3. Which way might Lamps go?

Both of the other 2 have their variations too. More attacking or more defensive. For instance in a 1-4-3-3, you could play the 2 threes in a "V" style which is more defensively based or as an inverted chevron (as you see on the motorways, always have at least 2 between you and the car in front.....) which shows more attacking intent.

1-4-4-2. Do you play the "soup bowl" style with the 2 central players in both lines of 4 behind the 2 wider players. Two flat lines. Flat or bowl back 4 with a diamond in the midfield.

Most players will have experience of one or more of the different variations but I doubt any of them has played all of them and this squad, which will change between now and August has only played about half of the permutations together as a unit. Only game situations will show who will be best in any one position and for now, the pre season friendlies are all we have.

No doubt there will be 30 minute games at the end of a training session to try out different people and combinations but the proof of the pudding will be on the park playing against a team you don't know and that doesn't know you, especially in this new formation.

This is why I questioned just the 5 pre season matches. I had not however taken account of the shorter than usual run up to "hostilities" due to the World Cup and early start of the season. A shortened run in combined with a new style might be a problematic pairing for us.

Last edited:
Not sure how you make that assumption. We played most of last season on the back foot and hitting on the counter. If we take Frank and Jody's comments thus far as genuine, and why shouldn't we, we will be playing (a) totally different system(s) next season and utilising a totally different mindset. Translating what he has said into formations I think we can forget 1-4-2-3-1. Of the other more usual formations, that leaves us with 1-3-5-2, 1-4-4-2 and 1-4-3-3 as the 3 most likely candidates.

All 3 of the systems also have variations. For instance, you could play Martin as the target man but, then again, you don't have to have a Martin type hold up player in a 1-4-3-3. Which way might Lamps go?

Both of the other 2 have their variations too. More attacking or more defensive. For instance in a 1-4-3-3, you could play the 2 threes in a "V" style which is more defensively based or as an inverted chevron (as you see on the motorways, always have at least 2 between you and the car in front.....) which shows more attacking intent.

1-4-4-2. Do you play the "soup bowl" style with the 2 central players in both lines of 4 behind the 2 wider players. Two flat lines. Flat or bowl back 4 with a diamond in the midfield.

Most players will have experience of one or more of the different variations but I doubt any of them has played all of them and this squad, which will change between now and August has only played about half of the permutations together as a unit. Only game situations will show who will be best in any one position and for now, the pre season friendlies are all we have.

No doubt there will be 30 minute games at the end of a training session to try out different people and combinations but the proof of the pudding will be on the park playing against a team you don't know and that doesn't know you, especially in this new formation.

This is why I questioned just the 5 pre season matches. I had not however taken account of the shorter than usual run up to "hostilities" due to the World Cup and early start of the season. A shortened run in combined with a new style might be a problematic pairing for us.

I bow to your superior knowledge, seeing as you are obviously well in the know about managing and coaching and clearly those ultra competitive friendlies where the manager more often than not fields completely different sides in each half, uses under 21's are absolutely how they make their minds up on who to play in which position and nothing about getting players gradually up to match fitness!

No wonder so many managers wont buy a player after the start of the season, I mean whats the point they haven't had those vital friendlies to get to know where their best position is!

When it's the same manager, virtually the same players, playing the same system then pre season is mainly about getting fit.

However, in this case, we have a new manager with new ideas who has publicly stated that he wants to play the opposite of what happened last season. Namely, on the front foot, attacking whenever possible etc.

It would be naive to think he isn't going to use pre season to see which players are adapting best to his ideas as well as building fitness.

Thanks for the bow. It is based on fact although you didn't know that when you wrote it. I have taken the FA Level 1, 2 and 3 badges. 2 KNVB accredited Keeper's trainer badges. Coached youth keepers for 10 years. Coached youth and senior sides for 9 and 3 years respectively........

Latest Rams News