Radio Lincs | Vital Football

Radio Lincs

MaineRoad_96

Vital 1st Team Regular
Just listening to the Hope and Glory podcast and even the edited highlights sound amateurish. Didn’t know what the implications of the results were, but the highlight has to be Hortin asking if it was Akinde’s first promotion?

Big John: ‘No, 4th’.

I realise that this isn’t de rigeur at the BBC these days but is it too much to ask that they actually do some journalism?

To be fair Hortin called the promotion about 5 minutes before the club or Alan Long did. And if after three hours on air, including commentating without a break , and forcing his way through the crowds to get on the pitch to interview the players, he gets his stats wrong , I'll forgive him.

Horton seems to do zero prep work for any game. Even though the opposition players have numbers on their backs for easy recognition, he still doesn't bother with them in his match commentary.
I sometimes wonder whether he is just being himself, or if he's playing a character that knows very little about football, which enables Thomo to sound like a genius.

To be fair Hortin called the promotion about 5 minutes before the club or Alan Long did. And if after three hours on air, including commentating without a break , and forcing his way through the crowds to get on the pitch to interview the players, he gets his stats wrong , I'll forgive him.

He certainly did that, as his heavy breathing down the microphone testified.

Think Hortin and Thomo do a decent job having heard several other local Radios which were dreadful. Still annoyed that for evening games Radio Lincs cut off at exactly 22.00 irrespective of what is going on at SB or wherever, the classic recently was when Danny was midway through his post match and spot on 22.00 it was cut off for some crap music.

Horton seems to do zero prep work for any game. Even though the opposition players have numbers on their backs for easy recognition, he still doesn't bother with them in his match commentary.
I sometimes wonder whether he is just being himself, or if he's playing a character that knows very little about football, which enables Thomo to sound like a genius.

I understand that it's not easy but the lack of preparation is very irritating.

I don't know how many fellow forum users watch the games on ifollow but he isn't really a very good commentator. To a radio audience that's not evident. Rob Makepeace is better at describing what is actually happening and he also managers to identify opposing players rather than - "and it's cleared by the Cheltenham defender"

I still think that it was poor form not to know about the promotion as it was obvious, despite the 3 points needed meme, that matching Mansfield and MK results had the same effect.

In their slight defence this affects many commentators. Rob Palmer, for some reason, used to get all the big gigs when Sky had Spanish football. When my own team was in La Liga he covered one match and I decided to count up his factual errors. I counted seven in the first 20 minutes of the game, and that didn't include player mis-identifications, of which there were many. To most viewers it wouldn't have mattered, but it's hard to understand why even his scripted stuff was wrong.

On the other hand, Steve Thompson is a good co-commentator.

I understand that it's not easy but the lack of preparation is very irritating.

I don't know how many fellow forum users watch the games on ifollow but he isn't really a very good commentator. To a radio audience that's not evident. Rob Makepeace is better at describing what is actually happening and he also managers to identify opposing players rather than - "and it's cleared by the Cheltenham defender"

I still think that it was poor form not to know about the promotion as it was obvious, despite the 3 points needed meme, that matching Mansfield and MK results had the same effect.

In their slight defence this affects many commentators. Rob Palmer, for some reason, used to get all the big gigs when Sky had Spanish football. When my own team was in La Liga he covered one match and I decided to count up his factual errors. I counted seven in the first 20 minutes of the game, and that didn't include player mis-identifications, of which there were many. To most viewers it wouldn't have mattered, but it's hard to understand why even his scripted stuff was wrong.

On the other hand, Steve Thompson is a good co-commentator.

I normally listen to Lincolnshire radio whilst attending the match at the Bank and Hortin is not in touch with events on the pitch half the time.
An example Saturday was a freekick was awarded half way into the opponents half but he`s exclaiming "freekick on the edge of the box for Lincoln"
His concentration levels seems low and oftentimes addresses the opposition team incorrectly,eg playing Macclesfield and he is calling it Swindon.
Does little research on opponents and on the subject of questions elicits only the basics and swerves controversy.
Steve Thompson is the brains of the outfit,has played and managed and gives decent contribution unless he is forced to nudge Hortin to keep him awake during the 90 minutes.
Realistically i suppose the BBC are paying them tapwashers so what can we expect, but besides Thommo i find it all a bit amateurish.
As for the Friday night 6pm debacle the less said about it the better and if anyone is getting paid for it I want my licence money back.

Try listening on a Friday night, the last 15 minutes especially, it sounds as though they are trying to fill the show with “stuff” such as the price is right LCFC memorabilia. And the rather silly and irritating “hello” “hello”. This is when I switch off, if not sooner.

Perhaps in-depth conversation with the chairman of Gainsborough or something on their survival in the new league having been relegated and change of manager or Boston for example. Something that is closely related to journalism would be good.

Try listening on a Friday night, the last 15 minutes especially, it sounds as though they are trying to fill the show with “stuff” such as the price is right LCFC memorabilia. And the rather silly and irritating “hello” “hello”. This is when I switch off, if not sooner.

Perhaps in-depth conversation with the chairman of Gainsborough or something on their survival in the new league having been relegated and change of manager or Boston for example. Something that is closely related to journalism would be good.

I quite agree. The Friday night show has its good points, but Makepeace does have a habit of turning it into 'kiddies radio' quite often. Those stupid made-up jingles from his mates in particular. But I often turn off when that plonker George (is that his name?) comes on and plugs his show. Jesus wept.

Think Hortin and Thomo do a decent job having heard several other local Radios which were dreadful. Still annoyed that for evening games Radio Lincs cut off at exactly 22.00 irrespective of what is going on at SB or wherever, the classic recently was when Danny was midway through his post match and spot on 22.00 it was cut off for some crap music.
Think that depends on how you are listen. On digital it does change over but FM doesn’t.

That lad George occasionally reads out the footie results on a Saturday evening and his delivery is so poor you wouldn`t know if your team had won drew or lost as his delivery and diction is totally incomprehensible.
At least we can turn this drivel off in the full knowledge that nobody is getting paid for transmitting this drivel over the airwaves of Lincolnshire.

If we're having a moan, I know it's difficult to think of some decent post match questions but normally it goes something like this
Interview with DC -" We were saying in commentary it's points in games like this that get you promotion "
Interview with player - " We were saying in commentary it's points in games like this that get you promotion "
Interview with the Echo - " We were saying in commentary it's points in games like this that get you promotion "

Complacency is the word we are talking about regarding the questions raised.

If Hortin knew Mark Hone(or another) was to interchange his reporting and commentating role on a week on week off basis he might then up his game and we would all get a better and more coherent output from BBC radio Lincolnshire.

Complacency is the word we are talking about regarding the questions raised.

If Hortin knew Mark Hone(or another) was to interchange his reporting and commentating role on a week on week off basis he might then up his game and we would all get a better and more coherent output from BBC radio Lincolnshire.

Would you rather go back to the days of Morely, Ashton and Long behind the mic?

The three biggest stressors in life are: getting married, moving house and the biggest is public speaking, try the later I have seen the biggest gobshites in private company, crumble in front of an audience of 20!

In my job public speaking is an expectation, its far from an easy skill,and something I have found incredibly hard despite being sent on numerous training courses. You can mug up as much like in advance its inevitable you'll forget something, try it before you criticise it.

Last edited:
Michael Hortin did a special longer radio show (I think it was an hour) when we had no match because of the Yeovil international call-ups. It was mostly interviewing Danny and I thought it was excellent. He asked lots of good questions and it really gave an insight into behind the scenes at LCFC and the Cowley's methods. Would like to hear him do these 3 or 4 times a season.