Racism in football/booing/the knee | Page 3 | Vital Football

Racism in football/booing/the knee

I look forward to the day when football fans care about racism as much as they do about *checks notes* the imminent threat of communism.

I'd say they've already proven they do. Nobody minds KIO, that's still political but people are happy to ignore that because it's within the game. KIO's own reporting tool when it went live years back was very heavily used and well received by fans reporting from matches and following up when back at home.

Let alone the change we've seen in football from decades ago.

But to stand for anti discrimination and not be accused of being racist or not caring, why do we have to support an action that supports a group that stands for defunding the Police, ending capitalism, raises millions with, as of yet, no follow through charity work and never campaigned for equality in the first place because they've moved into politics and their own aims and keep quiet about football sidelining it's own organisation focused on this.

If the knee isn't aligned with Kick It Out and football's internal anti discrimination push - can you blame fans for thinking otherwise, especially when all the info has been out there showing it from day one for those who looked.

Tail wagging the dog again. The BLM group exist as a fundraising organisation to support the anti-racism movement.

The mission statement on their official website which was full of radical deluded bollocks, that then magically disappeared one day.
Also, you know the story of the Trojan horse isn't that the Greeks walked into Troy waving a Greek flag telling everyone they were Greek and then got into a horse. That wouldn't have worked.

That it's a dispersed and loose movement based on black liberation not defined by a single organised group.

Yeah, I know that, doesn't change it's origins. What do you expect people to do, forget about it and go around raising the red fist anyway?

I'm not actually in favour of booing by the way, as this is what the thread is about.

Yeah, I know that, doesn't change it's origins. What do you expect people to do, forget about it and go around raising the red fist anyway?

I'm not actually in favour of booing by the way, as this is what the thread is about.
It's origins are a hashtag following the death of Trayvon Martin, long preceding any organisation by the name.

BLM the political movement is now a minor part of it. .

It has been put further and further down the pecking order, agreed, but it was the authorities/tv that made the mistake of putting it at the top in the first place, clearly without any research.

It is excluding other types of racism for a start. It seems a massive own goal to me, and when a player talks about Floyd being the straw that broke the camels back, and 'we' all follow America in their well known statement, I have to wonder why we follow everything stateside with their terrible issues. Instead of looking at our own issues and perhaps reacting to a hero, Dalian Atkinson.

I just think anti racism, is better than anti one form of racism.

But in an ideal world, there would just be bullets in the heads of the racists and this problem wouldn't exist. For the love of all things holy, mankind is fucking stupid, arguing over the pigmentation of the skin.

Can't stand the thoughts of this spilling over next season, boos at Villa Park? Our own players, (we sometimes forget some of these guys are pretty young and richly paid or not, vulnerable) being booed? And then others turning on those booing, fights breaking out... and so on.

What a mess.

It's origins are a hashtag following the death of Trayvon Martin, long preceding any organisation by the name.

The originators of the hashtag are the founders of the BLM movement, literally says so in the Wikipedia article, did you not read it?

It's a pity they fucked up things with their radical waffle.

The originators of the hashtag are the founders of the BLM movement, literally says so in the Wikipedia article, did you not read it?

It's a pity they fucked up things with their radical waffle.
The movement, yes, not the *organisation* of the same name.

From the Wikipedia article: "The loose structure of Black Lives Matter has contributed to confusion in the press and among activists, as actions or statements from chapters or individuals are sometimes attributed to "Black Lives Matter" as a whole.[26][27] Matt Pearce, writing for the Los Angeles Times, commented that "the words could be serving as a political rallying cry or referring to the activist organization. Or it could be the fuzzily applied label used to describe a wide range of protests and conversations focused on racial inequality."[28]"

Which then begs the question, if the fans don't understand and it can't be about Marxism and anti-capitalism, then why was the original promotion all about BLM/the fist with the group heavily promoted in the process where they raised millions.

Shouldn't the players educate themselves on what the knee has been associated with or is that fans fault as well?

This is the issue in a nutshell Mike. Both have been put together and there is only going to be one winner and it won't be the fans booing. The perception is that these people are racist and racists, real or imagined will not win.

Whats going to happen now is the English will be labelled as hooligans of Europe again and the only people who'll join in the booing are Europes far right.

Ireland took the knee tonight and the Hungarian players pointed to the respect symbol on their badge but nobody booed.

It won't be about the truth, it'll be about perception.

It has been put further and further down the pecking order, agreed, but it was the authorities/tv that made the mistake of putting it at the top in the first place, clearly without any research.

It is excluding other types of racism for a start. It seems a massive own goal to me, and when a player talks about Floyd being the straw that broke the camels back, and 'we' all follow America in their well known statement, I have to wonder why we follow everything stateside with their terrible issues. Instead of looking at our own issues and perhaps reacting to a hero, Dalian Atkinson.

I just think anti racism, is better than anti one form of racism.

But in an ideal world, there would just be bullets in the heads of the racists and this problem wouldn't exist. For the love of all things holy, mankind is fucking stupid, arguing over the pigmentation of the skin.

Can't stand the thoughts of this spilling over next season, boos at Villa Park? Our own players, (we sometimes forget some of these guys are pretty young and richly paid or not, vulnerable) being booed? And then others turning on those booing, fights breaking out... and so on.

What a mess.

I think it all needs explaining to the players and the TV people why people are booing rather than labelling them as idiots or racist .
I've been to Villa Park for the last 53 years and what goes on at football these days is nothing compared to the '70s. I haven't seen racism for many years. I've never seen it on the terraces. Villa's most famous Hooligan was/is black if Villa fans were racist I don't think they would have followed him somehow.

I won't be booing but neither will I be clapping like a seal either. I go purely to watch my team

Why is all of this moral posturing done in front of football fans? Why isn't it done to The Bachelor or Love Island's audience? Why don't the orchestra at the Sydney Opera House take a knee before each performance? I'll tell you exactly why. The housewives and liberal arts students who dream up all of this performative "activism" blame football fans for all of the ills of society. Football fans are the scum of the universe who need "moral education" from a 19 year old with pink hair and a nose ring. Nobody takes a knee at the show jumping. That would be ridiculous. Nice, upper-middle class people aren't to be talked down to like naughty school boys about social issues.

FIFA, UEFA, The FA, The Premier League and even the clubs are always dead keen to jump on the latest "activism" bandwagon. They love putting on some kind of performance for the cameras to show how much they care.

Of course, when Robbie Fowler pulled up his shirt to show his message of support for the Liverpool dock workers, he was slapped with a heavy fine. UEFA said they had to fine him because a football ground was not the right place for political demonstrations. Supporting working class issues is utterly taboo. If he'd had a message about LGBT issues or something else that liberal arts students care about, he'd have been hailed as a hero.

I don't really understand why England fans are booing players taking a knee. I'm not posting this in support of them.

However, I think football fans around the world should boo every time we get talked down to about the latest trendy social issue.

Why is all of this moral posturing done in front of football fans? Why isn't it done to The Bachelor or Love Island's audience? Why don't the orchestra at the Sydney Opera House take a knee before each performance? I'll tell you exactly why. The housewives and liberal arts students who dream up all of this performative "activism" blame football fans for all of the ills of society. Football fans are the scum of the universe who need "moral education" from a 19 year old with pink hair and a nose ring. Nobody takes a knee at the show jumping. That would be ridiculous. Nice, upper-middle class people aren't to be talked down to like naughty school boys about social issues.
You don't see any other potential reason, potentially around the demographics of the people at the top of those fields, why it's footballers protesting anti-black racism?

FIFA, UEFA, The FA, The Premier League and even the clubs are always dead keen to jump on the latest "activism" bandwagon. They love putting on some kind of performance for the cameras to show how much they care.

Of course, when Robbie Fowler pulled up his shirt to show his message of support for the Liverpool dock workers, he was slapped with a heavy fine. UEFA said they had to fine him because a football ground was not the right place for political demonstrations. Supporting working class issues is utterly taboo. If he'd had a message about LGBT issues or something else that liberal arts students care about, he'd have been hailed as a hero.

I don't really understand why England fans are booing players taking a knee. I'm not posting this in support of them.

However, I think football fans around the world should boo every time we get talked down to about the latest trendy social issue.

Ha ha 19 years old, you've met my stepdaughter then but she's 30 now!
The upper-middle-class are too busy telling everyone else they are racists, whilst living as far away from any black people or working-class types as they can.