Racism in football/booing/the knee | Page 5 | Vital Football

Racism in football/booing/the knee

The originators of the hashtag are the founders of the BLM movement, literally says so in the Wikipedia article, did you not read it?

It's a pity they fucked up things with their radical waffle.
One of the three co-founders, who recently bought herself about $3 million worth of home(s) has now stepped down "so she can concentrate on her book, TV deal and speaking engagements." An anti-capitalist using capitalism beautifully....

One of the three co-founders, who recently bought herself about $3 million worth of home(s) has now stepped down "so she can concentrate on her book, TV deal and speaking engagements." An anti-capitalist using capitalism beautifully....

US based though, not UK just for clarity lol

I still stand by comment months and months ago - those genuine folks who thought this would make a difference in the UK and US must be absolutely disgusted with the bandwagon jumpers and those who gave them air time and allowed them to hijack a cause we are all behind - but the likes of me can't support in this guise.

Would a bit of Morris Dancing be a more British way to deal with these things?

Just not keen copying everything America do, which isn't any offence to America, just.. well, we don't need to import everything do we?

Couldn't agree more! :clap::clap::clap:
There is a strange obsession with mimicking and adopting everything that I'll never understand.
And the obsession with Trump is mind-boggling. So many people saying how much they "hate" him yet all they do is talk about him.... still.... weird

Morris dancers - bluuuuudy hell
those lads are the virtual shock troops of the far right.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/morris-dancers-blue-paint-racism-b1840707.html

Justin Trudeau ain't watching them pranching about no more for sure

H'Angus I have an issue with - it's a fucking monkey who probably didn't exist anyway.

That change, I find a good compromise namely because until the story broke I'd never seen Morris dancers black up, so whilst it might be historical etc, it's clearly not that important anyway.

US based though, not UK just for clarity lol

I still stand by comment months and months ago - those genuine folks who thought this would make a difference in the UK and US must be absolutely disgusted with the bandwagon jumpers and those who gave them air time and allowed them to hijack a cause we are all behind - but the likes of me can't support in this guise.
Sorry, should have clarified!
There's one point that a lot of people seem to miss/ignore in all of this. Racism isn't defined by a specific skin colour. Nor should it be. So how can Black Lives Matter be an organization that anyone can stand behind who is legitimately opposed to all forms of racist disrcrimination?

At least we are all openly discussing racism - which I believe is the whole point, keeping it in the public domain. On that front it is a successful campaign. We can all discuss the finer points of BLM, raise issues about people profiting from it, or just get behind a very valid point that there is no room for discrimination in today’s society.

No place for booing players who are trying to make a stand - however misinformed or ignorant they may appear.

Minor point but I'm a picky bastard lol

On that point though no. People have vested interests based on their own lives and experiences, I have no issue at all with the catch all BLM, just as I wouldn't Latino's Lives Matter or whatever other twist you want to give. Each have their own focus, so that doesn't bother me.

It's why I don't expect Fathers for Justice to argue for abortion rights or better cancer screening for women.

At least we are all openly discussing racism - which I believe is the whole point, keeping it in the public domain. On that front it is a successful campaign. We can all discuss the finer points of BLM, raise issues about people profiting from it, or just get behind a very valid point that there is no room for discrimination in today’s society.

No place for booing players who are trying to make a stand - however misinformed or ignorant they may appear.

Yes, with hindsight it's a shame people didn't twig when the BLM banners left grounds, the booing should as well. Maybe chant for KIO or 'no room for racism' whilst the knee took place - reown it that way kind of thing?

Yes, with hindsight it's a shame people didn't twig when the BLM banners left grounds, the booing should as well. Maybe chant for KIO or 'no room for racism' whilst the knee took place - reown it that way kind of thing?
There’s a lot more things in life to be angry about than a few footballers taking the knee 🤣

There’s a lot more things in life to be angry about than a few footballers taking the knee 🤣

I agree, although I will again say it's not the knee it's the association, but by default I've been called racist two or three times today in this thread (whether it was meant or not and I know it wasn't, people were talking generally) and it's still got my back up.

And I know it's counter productive but I haven't been able to stop myself from barbing back. As it winds me up, this is the chat, rather than actually discrimination so to pull me as being on the other side I more than understand why footballers have dug in, but they need to have the IQ to realise why fans have dug in.

I agree, although I will again say it's not the knee it's the association, but by default I've been called racist two or three times today in this thread (whether it was meant or not and I know it wasn't, people were talking generally) and it's still got my back up.
It is stunning to me how people will label another person or group simply because they disagree with an opinion that may or may not have race or skin colour involved. The "new normal" doesn't account for character or knowledge, just make an assumption because they have difference of opinion.

I agree with you it's unlikely to happen now people have dug in, but it's a more sensible way forward than what both sides are doing right now.

I don't buy that most are yobs based on what I've read and the chats I've had (but again, undoubtedly a portion will be), and you don't need to have an intimate knowledge of Marx to understand 'defund the Police, end capitalism' is totally batshit and uberly political in this country (defund the Police for a start being totally inapplicable anyway) and come to the conclusion that those being quoted in the press, pushing this agenda, couldn't give a flying about equality so don't deserve support.

In the way KIO would never hit those levers, even if players were kneeling.

Fans will dig in more owing to the criticism and because players/media have now rewritten the history to cover their own fuck up here. Plenty of players would've wanted this for the right reasons I get that and would otherwise support, but the press, others, it's the latest bandwagon jump to be trendy and appeal and it's why they so massively fucked it up by not doing the homework.

I do agree with you on plenty in the post though, and I worry where this is heading now because sides have been drawn when they really didn't need to be.

The defund the police thing is a reaction to the horrific militarization of American police forces. US police forces were encouraged to buy surplus military hardware resulting in some US police forces having tanks! WTF is a police force going to do with a tank?

Anyway, it has nothing to do with British policing, much like the whole BLM movement.

I wonder how long it would take if we had a two-minute silence whilst a bugler played the last post in memory of the fallen, every single game before people were shouting singing talking and even booing it, not long if you ask me.
When things become the norm they soon lose their impact

The defund the police thing is a reaction to the horrific militarization of American police forces. US police forces were encouraged to buy surplus military hardware resulting in some US police forces having tanks! WTF is a police force going to do with a tank?

Anyway, it has nothing to do with British policing, much like the whole BLM movement.
I think Mike might be calling it crazy as he assumes it means completely defunding rather than a budget cut. Funnily enough the UK has been defunding the police over the last decade which is probably why when my house got burgled last year all that happened was I received a pamphlet! Some US municipalities have started defunding the police and reinvesting in other services. Law and order politicians have helped police budgets keep well ahead of inflation in the US.

Just watched the booing in Hungary when Ireland took the knee and Hungary didn't they zoomed in on a Hungarian player pointing to the "Respect" logo on his shirt sleeve. Basically saying we already have this campaign we don't need this taking the knee as well.
I think he has a valid point

At least we are all openly discussing racism - which I believe is the whole point, keeping it in the public domain.

Agreed, which is why I moved this from the Euro thread, as it needs to stand out, needs to be read, people need to try to understand all points of view here. But too many are dug in, like everything these days, there are no shades of grey.

But the players did it to back up the protests in America over Flloyd. Mings himself said that was the straw that broke the camels back. It confused me, as to why we (football) becomes the right platform for it. The BLM marches were the platform for it, mostly in the country where that issue is (and what a woeful issue) and I would argue for us, not during a pandemic, but that's another debate altogether.

If this was about dogs abuse at games in this country, I'd understand (not talking online, that is a whole different cesspit of hatred). But we've not been at the games during this.

Seems to me, maybe I'm sensitive, that all football fans are being tarred with the same brush

Seems to me that the taking the knee, an obvious symbol of police violence in the US, has got confused/ associated with disparaging/ hate remarks to black players. Surely there is no link. If the players really want to protest about abuse then tell us that that is what this about and take the knee, if they really must, to support kick it out. BLM is not synonymous with Kick It Out, the FA's own campaign and, in my own view, the continued focus on that is diluting the Kick It Out focus.

Here we are again, most if not all of us white people, saying that we know better than black people how they should be protesting issues that directly affect them and not us. I keep saying it: There appears to be no acceptable way for them to protest unless it's easily ignorable for the majority. Kick It Out is exactly that; a bare whisper in the background, a poster on the FA wall, but doing nothing to challenge the majority and have them think remotely deeply about racism.

On a positive note, Gareth Southgate, whoever he is, wrote a piece in the Player's Tribune on representing England, and on the changing nature of "Englishness" and I think it's rather excellent. Doesn't specifically mention taking the knee or booing, but is no less powerful for it. Shame he can't manage for shit.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/dear-england-gareth-southgate-euros-soccer