Racism in football/booing/the knee | Page 22 | Vital Football

Racism in football/booing/the knee

I'm not sure the players think there is much advantage to changing a protest to accommodate people who wilfully misinterpret it.
Would we not open the anti racist message to more people though?
Ones who don't accept the knee (for numerous reasons) might FULLY come on board if it was changed to something else.
Else we are only targeting the anti racist message to people who agree with the knee.
Use something like a arm or standing shoulder to shoulder or whatever would target more people? And create even more of a stand and a voice.

Ones who don't accept the knee (for numerous reasons) might FULLY come on board if it was changed to something else.
Else we are only targeting the anti racist message to people who agree with the knee.
Use something like a arm or standing shoulder to shoulder or whatever would target more people? And create even more of a stand and a voice.
Yes, picture the scene, the Holte End at kick off all stood united arms linked.
Powerful message.

No I dont willfully misinterpret anything.
The knee is associated with BLM. End of.
Most people associate it with what the players say they are associating it with. The evil BLM thing is dropping away.
For me it's s bit like saying you won't go to the hospital for a critical operation because you don't like the look of the hub caps on the ambulance.

Yes, picture the scene, the Holte End at kick off all stood united arms linked.
Powerful message.

I'm not in favour. I don't sign up to be a social activist when I go to watch a football match and I won't be pressured into being one. 90% of this mess is down to the fact that the players wanted to copy American culture and adopt the taking of the knee which started in the NFL over real racial injustice which takes place over there. American culture is rotten and adopting any part of it is a big mistake. We can already see the division that it's creating. Everybody has always behind the kick it out campaign which did not cause any division at all.

I've said before, I'm not a big fan of players "taking the knee" - it works in USA as it is a protest during their national anthem but doesn't have the same resonance here in the UK. For what it's worth, I still believe the players have a powerful voice, a huge opportunity to influence the general masses either through their social media presence, interviews or a united "statement" before a game. Whatever their choice is, there is no place for hatred or discrimination is society and I will continue to support them.

Most people associate it with what the players say they are associating it with. The evil BLM thing is dropping away.
For me it's s bit like saying you won't go to the hospital for a critical operation because you don't like the look of the hub caps on the ambulance.
Yes. But that's you. There is a vast spectrum of opinion and interpretation.

I think as the tv channels moved away from BLM as an organisation and some of the clarification started - which shows a misfire in the message, when you have to clarify it - I became far less meh about it.

I have said there is a degree of being annoyed at always adopting Americanisms and my American friends will know that isn't a dislike of America or Americans.

But to be honest now, with yet more racist shite, I've totally flipped, I think whatever makes them feel comfortable, whatever they feel is getting their message out, whatever makes them feel empowered to take on this ridiculous, ignorant, nonsense, I'm behind 100%

I quite possibly over thought the politics behind it, as someone with a keen interest in politics.

I am just gutted that something like a worldwide pandemic couldn't wake the human race up, we are just that, one race. I hate our stupidity. Hate it.

Last edited:
Ok, here we go.
I hate the politics of the hard left and will never see taking the knee as anything other than support for BLM and its policies.
That said I would never be so crass as to boo it at Villa Park, but some will.
So why cant Tyrone and others who are against people booing come up with something other than the knee that we can all get behind, and if you still get booing then you at least then know it wasnt just the knee.

That's where I still am but after the reaction to the final, and then the batshit conspiracies about 'who' Southgate selected, I can see the players pushing the knee more in response to it.

You'd certainly identify the racist idiots more with a change of gesture, but I don't see it happening now.

I'm not sure the players think there is much advantage to changing a protest to accommodate people who wilfully misinterpret it.

I'm not sure the players even understand the issue which is half of the problem, as don't most fans who think others wilfully misinterpret it for their own spurious reasons.

Racism is like terrorism, just a very small minority, we have laws and regulation against both but you won't stop either.
No amount of Kneeling, talking, and people condemning things in strong words will ever cut it out.
This world we live in has free speech unfortunately that even allows hate speech even though it's against the law.

I'm not sure what people actually want?