Racism in football/booing/the knee | Page 33 | Vital Football

Racism in football/booing/the knee

I don't think it really achieved much overall and players who take the knee seem perfectly happy to go to a world cup where the infrastructure was built by actual slaves and additionally keep their mouths shut about Saudi ownership of British football clubs.
It didn't achieve anything in the grand scheme of things, other than provide an opportunity for the boo boys to have a bit of fun .

This. Just tokenism isn't it. Thought doing it once would have been far, far, more impactful anyway.

I personally think its mostly for American audiences. I definitely think quite a few players genuinely believe in the message but IMO its tokenism from the commercial and governmental aspects of the league. Thats where the disconnect is for me.

The game cannot grow in the UK, they've hit critical mass so all their focus is abroad and they're still yet to truly crack the states. They've made huge strides but I think you can literally look at the size of the population and focus just on the liberal side and potentially reach 55M+ people.

Thats my theory anyway IMO.

I can’t believe it went on as long as it did and it would’ve been a bit of a joke if it had carried on this season. Doing it once would’ve been enough, at most it should’ve ended at the end of the restart part of the season. To me it fully lost its impact and it just became something that players did and something I didn’t even really pay attention to, to the point it just didn’t bother me they were doing it.

Last edited:
The Premier League on Wednesday morning issued the below statement:

Ahead of the new season, Premier League club captains have reaffirmed their commitment to fighting racism and all forms of discrimination.

The players have decided to use specific moments during the upcoming campaign to take the knee, to amplify the message that racism has no place in football or society.

The Premier League supports the players’ decision and, alongside the clubs, will use these opportunities to elevate anti-racism messaging as part of the League’s No Room for Racism Action Plan.

Players will take the knee during the opening match round of the season, dedicated No Room for Racism match rounds in October and March, Boxing Day fixtures following the conclusion of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, Premier League matches on the final day of the season and The FA Cup and EFL Cup Finals.

The Premier League captains said: “We have decided to select significant moments to take the knee during the season to highlight our unity against all forms of racism and in so doing we continue to show solidarity for a common cause.

"We remain resolutely committed to eradicate racial prejudice, and to bring about an inclusive society with respect and equal opportunities for all.”

A total of £238,000 will be donated to designated youth clubs on behalf of the Premier League captains after £119,000 was raised from the royalties of the ‘No Room For Racism’ sleeve badges sold on club shirts last season.

The Premier League has matched the figure raised from the badges as part of the contribution to those clubs.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2022/august/03/premier-league-statement-/

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I found the fact of taking the knee in support/awareness after the George Floyd incident involving him being suffocated to death by an officers knee rather bizarre.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment I found the fact of taking the knee in support/awareness after the George Floyd incident involving him being suffocated to death by an officers knee rather bizarre.

I think it was based off that American Footballer that knelt through their national anthem (that they apparently play before every game) as a protest against the systematic racism over there. Kapernik or something I think. I'm sure he and a few other US athletes were doing it before all the George Floyd stuff.