Racism - Controversial Opinion Here... | Vital Football

Racism - Controversial Opinion Here...

Trev_GFC

Vital 1st Team Regular
I see the media is (rightfully) in uproar after another racist tweet towards a footballer, to little avail. I feel there should be no coverage of incidents like these until the offender has been sentenced.

Twitter is the modern equivalent of the Neanderthal thug, standing in the corner of the old Rainham End screaming “maim the
c:nt”
They have always been here and probably always will be.
It’s just an unfortunate fact of life.

I see the media is (rightfully) in uproar after another racist tweet towards a footballer, to little avail. I feel there should be no coverage of incidents like these until the offender has been sentenced.

The same media that is, in the main, institutionally racist?

Twitter is the modern equivalent of the Neanderthal thug, standing in the corner of the old Rainham End screaming “maim the

Thing is that the thug in the RE could always be easily identified and dealt with quickly by police, stewards (or offended fans!)
Internet 'thugs' are cowards who hide behind alias accounts and spout their vile nonsense anonymously. I think the frustrations that most of us are feeling due to lockdown are a factor in the steady rise of online racism and abuse from these arseholes. Hearing Captain Tom's tearful daughter tell of the shocking abuse that even their family had to deal with was sickening.
Until accounts for social media platforms require legal authentication so users are registered and can be traced, this nonsense will continue.

Thing is that the thug in the RE could always be easily identified and dealt with quickly by police, stewards (or offended fans!)
Internet 'thugs' are cowards who hide behind alias accounts and spout their vile nonsense anonymously.

No, it's the opposite. In a crowd of football fans or protesters it's "I ain't 'eard nuffin' guv". Twitter accounts can be traced back to individuals

No, it's the opposite. In a crowd of football fans or protesters it's "I ain't 'eard nuffin' guv". Twitter accounts can be traced back to individuals

Nope.
You still have the ability to be anonymous on Twitter.
And, maybe in the 70s racist fans would protect a racist loudmouth but with modern attitudes and better camera technology many more have been and will be dealt with.

we do have a dilemma here.
on the one hand we have this scenario where we believe that these people should not have an anonymous account (it is actually not totally correct that they cannot be traced).

on the other hand what if the poster was actually posting something that was correct but the powers that be do not want it known. If the account was not anonymous then the result could be a knock on the door early morning and censorship or dictatorship reigns.

which option are people prepared to support.

another issue is 'who decides what is acceptable', maybe using the same criteria as exists when it is happening in 'none social media' areas?
Should it then be only as per current legislation and only when the police decide it matches that criteria?

I see your point though as what we dont know is the reason for these incidents. Are the posters really raciat or just seeking oxygen for the impact they are having and/or to show off to their mates.
cant they simply be blocked by all of the other posters (yes, i obviously don't know how twitter works as i do not use it)?

Slightly off topic but I note that Brentford, QPR and Middlesbrough have all elected to no longer bend the knee before matches.
Wilf Zaha has also individually said that he finds it demeaning and won’t do it.
He even said that he doesn’t want Black lives matter on his shirt.
I said months ago that I thought it a fad that would just fade away.
It appears it might.

Slightly off topic but I note that Brentford, QPR and Middlesbrough have all elected to no longer bend the knee before matches.
Wilf Zaha has also individually said that he finds it demeaning and won’t do it.
It appears it might.

Depends what you mean by a fad.

I would just call these particular campaigns very well meaning but too unnecessarily vague in their messages and slogans.

Even "Kick it Out" is not a full message, but at least people that do a bit of investigation soon know that it actually means "Kick Racism out".

Surely a better strategy would be to ditch all the references to times gone by. Nothing can be done about that. Nothing can even be done for George Floyd, other than put his killer(s) on trial. The future is what counts.

I thought maybe I was in a group of one when it seemed strange to me that taking a knee appeared to be a submissive and degrading gesture, whether you know its history or not, when surely defiance should have been the message. However, I have heard a lot of people say similar and now so has Wilf Zaha.

.....after months of taking the knee.

I thought we were told players agreed to do this between themselves?

Lyle Taylor now. I hope the self-righteous retired white posters on this board can explain to them why kneeling was (and is) the correct thing to do

.....after months of taking the knee.

I thought we were told players agreed to do this between themselves?

Lyle Taylor now. I hope the self-righteous retired white posters on this board can explain to them why kneeling was (and is) the correct thing to do

Are you attacking old male whities on this board? Racist, ageist and sexist - shame on you sir lol.

It appears it might.

Look a bit closer shotshy. Wilf Zaha and Ivan Toney getting lots of coverage for not wanting to take the knee. Much less attention to what they say in their second amnd subsequent parahgraphs. They are much more hardcore than many of those taking the knee. Meanwhile a number of others, the Swansea squad for starters, determined to keep it going. It obviously won't carry on as before and some will drop it altogether and clubs may decide not to act as a unit but it will continue. It's likely to come back each time no, or inadequate action is taken.

I'd be happy for players to walk off, even in a game I was at. Shocking racism from some Eastern European crowds in the last few years. Would have loved them to walk off. Would have put authorities in a real quandary. Appease racists and kick out the team that walked off?

I posted this to discuss how we can react to racism in English football.

It ends up with people barely holding their glee at the thought players taking part in an anti-racism display being booed.

I really don't know what can be done. Racism should be socially unacceptable and yet it persists.
Actions such as taking the knee loose their impact very quickly. A point I think Shotshy made earlier.
Protest marches have the potential to be hijacked and used as excuse for rioting looting and vandalism.
And yet racism must be banished to history sooner rather than later.
I also acknowledge that I live in a country that had a whites only immigration policy during the 1970s and possibly before.

And yet racism must be banished to history sooner rather than later.
😁
Good luck with that!

Everybody is racist to some extent, it is impossible not to be if you live in a multiracial society with different customs, languages and religions.

Trying to "stop" racism by using an specifically racist slogan like Black Lives Matter, and having multi millionaire footballers kneeling in empty stadiums was never going to work. It doesn't address issues, doesn't address why different groups don't like each other, and why people don't integrate.

The reality is that the racism everyone is appalled about here is in reality is a handful of attention seeking, semi-literate, immature idiots, who can't handle their team losing..