Racial Abuse Akinde | Page 2 | Vital Football

Racial Abuse Akinde

There was a lot of racist abuse from someone (i won't call him a fan) in our section at Arsenal. Stewards had to deal with him (for several reasons)

I also heard it from our "fans" towards Gavin Hoyte at Eastleigh when we won 1-0 with the Raggett header.

It was pretty awful and understandably got to the player. Stewards that day did nothing and that section of "fans" found it very funny.

There's no place for it but some people persist.

One thing is for sure, if I heard anything like that, and being an ex teacher, I'd simply have to get involved and bugger the consequences to myself.

A few years back, when we were in the Conference, a Grimsby fan piled through us Imps fans as we queued to get in the Co-op Lower turnstiles at the Stacey West end of the stand. It was clear that he was up to mischief but as he passed me I shouted at him to stop, he turned as if to 'have a go' and I stood up to him and the old bill, who were stood just behind me, intervened and clapped him in irons! He was hauled off to the nearest Police van. Now, I am most certainly not looking for any kind of praise here, I was just doing my duty as a human being. The guy was intent on abusing people and possibly harming them and therefore had to be stopped.

Racism has NO place in every day life and we, as we should, have a duty to confront such occurences.

This thread has stirred memories of my own involvement in a racist incident back in the 1980s. And I can still feel the burning shame of the memories today.
It was an away game at Scunthorpe. We’d travelled up by train and were walking through the towns prescinct and onto a main road. When a van screeched to a halt and a black lad was pinned up against the wall by a group of policemen. He was roughed up and verbally abused by them. We initially tried to intervene, as the Black lincoln fan had been with us since leaving the train and had not been up to any mischief whatsoever.
But more police arrived with truncheons flashing and dogs barking and snapping. So we backed off from the sickening scene.
What could we do? I’d only have been arrested for stopping this clear racist incident.
The black lad moved away from Lincolnshire not long after this incident.
The racists had clearly won again.

This thread has stirred memories of my own involvement in a racist incident back in the 1980s. And I can still feel the burning shame of the memories today.
It was an away game at Scunthorpe. We’d travelled up by train and were walking through the towns prescinct and onto a main road. When a van screeched to a halt and a black lad was pinned up against the wall by a group of policemen. He was roughed up and verbally abused by them. We initially tried to intervene, as the Black lincoln fan had been with us since leaving the train and had not been up to any mischief whatsoever.
But more police arrived with truncheons flashing and dogs barking and snapping. So we backed off from the sickening scene.
What could we do? I’d only have been arrested for stopping this clear racist incident.

That is a sad story 89. Don't feel ashamed, though, because, if nothing else, that event helped to shape you into the very good person you are today.

Is this actually a thing? Or is it just another example of that bastion of truth and integrity, Twitter?

Did I imagine that some small group of visiting fans, claiming to be expert lip-readers accused Matt Rhead of racism last season without a shred of evidence?
There was that, yes. Can't 100% remember which game it was, though.

I *think* it might have been home to Swindon. And despite all that great evidence they had, nothing came of it.

Interesting thread but I can't see anything on official channels and just a couple of references on Twitter. Has anyone seen anymore? Seems odd given a stadium full of fans and club employees if just a couple of people saw it given the gravity of the allegation? If there is no evidence of this incident happening then perhaps those making the allegations should themselves face sanctions given the negative affect it can have on a club and its fans!

I can remember very few incidents of racism at Lincoln, even during the bad old days of the 70s. Poor Cec Podd used to take a bit from certain sections of Sincil Bank, but it was all very low key compared to big cities.

When I was at university in Manchester in the early 80s, I played in a football team that won its divisional championship. The presentation evening took place at Manchester City's social club, awards handed out by the late Gerald Kaufman MP (who proved to be even more boring than he looked). We had a great night and left in high spirits. On the short walk home through Moss Side, we passed a couple of police cars with lights flashing. Standing inside one of the open doors was a black guy; his hands were hancuffed behind his back, and he was bent over with his head thrust through the window, with the window then wound up. Quite why that was deemed necessary is unknown, and it has stuck in my mind all these years.

The captain/manager of our team was a lovely lad called Peter Nwosu, who was of Nigerian extraction and a big Spurs fan. We went to a lot of Man City & Man Utd games together and he used to tell me about what it was like being a black lad in north London in the 70s. He had started out as an Arsenal fan but had changed to Spurs after a group of Arsenal 'supporters' (i.e. his own team) had attacked him outside Highbury and stolen his scarf and other items. He was 10 at the time.

One day we were walking along Oxford Road on our way to a Man Utd home game. As we went to cross the road, we stepped off the pavement in readiness to cross after an approaching bus had passed. Peter was slightly in front of me, and as the bus came within twenty yards, it suddenly swerved dramatically and quite deliberately towards him, missing him literally by millimetres. I was very shaken up and could not believe what I had just seen. Peter had seen it all before and attached no importance to it whatsoever. That told me a lot about the kind of life he had lived.

That was 35 years ago. How can anyone still think like that in this day and age?

Big L P ??

I can remember very few incidents of racism at Lincoln, even during the bad old days of the 70s. Poor Cec Podd used to take a bit from certain sections of Sincil Bank, but it was all very low key compared to big cities.

My first Lincoln game was Saints v Lincoln in the late eighties. 1-1??

Lincoln fans threw bananas onto the pitch from the Sincil Bank terrace where Danny Wallace was playing right wing. Was a strange thing for me to see as a 12 year old and didn't really know what it was about at the time.

I have to say racism is the epitome of low and brainless.

Unfortunately it goes both ways though I have been on the receiving end. I was working in a largely ethnic minority area when I was told in no uncertain terms by three rather large lads that white trash like me should get out before I got seriously hurt as I wasn't welcome! That was when I went into a shop to buy a drink (not by the shop keeper I hasten to add). To be threatened or abused because of the colour of your skin is frankly sickening on any level!

I was very shaken up and could not believe what I had just seen. Peter had seen it all before and attached no importance to it whatsoever. That told me a lot about the kind of life he had lived.

It's impossible to comprehend what some people have been through in their lives. Societal racism and institutional racism are similarly difficult to appreciate without having been subjected to it. I don't profess to understand, but what I do say is that it takes generations to overcome the attitudes. Bit by bit progress is being made and I suspect the fact that we are outraged, and in some cases ashamed of our lack of actions in the past, is testament to this imperceptible progress. Progress is never fast enough and more can and should be done. While I don't always agree with political correctness, I refrain from criticizing because I know the motivation comes from some injustice or sense of injustice.

When on detachment with the RAF in the deep south of the good ole USA in 1980, the black ladies loved us as we would say please and thankyou when purchasing goods in their on base shops. Loved in when we would hold open the doors for them.

When on detachment with the RAF in the deep south of the good ole USA in 1980, the black ladies loved us as we would say please and thankyou when purchasing goods in their on base shops. Loved in when we would hold open the doors for them.

It reminds me of interviews with people like Chuck Berry or BB King who loved coming to the UK and being treated as equals by their peers* and audiences.

Peers in the 60s era actually being groups like the Stones etc who idolised them.