R.I.P. Ray Wilkins | Vital Football

R.I.P. Ray Wilkins

Really sad. I didn’t know a huge amount about his game. Just that I know he played for England and every time I heard him speak on tv etc, he was a gentleman with a fair point of view. I would say, I developed a respect for the guy as a footballer and as a person. As far as I know he was a clean player, which is due respect. Sad that he died so young. RIP.

Really sad . He wasn't part of the football family that I followed but that doesn't detract from the fact that he was a respected footballer , truly a nice bloke and a good , well nformed pundit that I liked to listen to " sadly missed and a loss to the game

Oh my Lord! I've only just heard about the passing of Ray "Butch" Wilkins! Although I'm Scottish, I have many fond memories of Ray during my childhood. I even had a Ray Wilkins football as a 14 year old.
Not sure how he passed, but 61 is waaaay too young to leave us. I do recall he played about 16 games for my old club Hibernian in Edinburgh.
R.I.P Ray. Thank you for the memories and your contribution to football. You'll be sadly missed my friend.

I liked how he said we when commentating on Spurs in Europe when he was still a coach at Chelsea. Even though he later clarified he always supports the English teams in Europe it showed a bit of class (or he was just lying and was a Spurs fan). I don't possess the same class. I'd never say we about any club but ours!

So many people came forward and gave examples of his kindness but one stood out for me.

Ray spotted a homeless man sitting on a blanket in the street. He went over and started talking to the man about his situation. Ray sat down next to him on the blanket. It turns out the guy was an ex soldier who suffered mental problems and had split from his wife. Ray gave him a £ 20 note and made him promise he would get a hot meal that night.

The man decided to go to a hostel that night. There he met a charity worker who pulled a few strings and got the ex soldier a job . After that night he never looked back and now has turned his life around. He said Ray gave him the break and he will forever remember Ray for his kindness. Obviously he was gutted as he spoke and ended up in tears as he related the story.

So many people came forward and gave examples of his kindness but one stood out for me.

Ray spotted a homeless man sitting on a blanket in the street. He went over and started talking to the man about his situation. Ray sat down next to him on the blanket. It turns out the guy was an ex soldier who suffered mental problems and had split from his wife. Ray gave him a £ 20 note and made him promise he would get a hot meal that night.

The man decided to go to a hostel that night. There he met a charity worker who pulled a few strings and got the ex soldier a job . After that night he never looked back and now has turned his life around. He said Ray gave him the break and he will forever remember Ray for his kindness. Obviously he was gutted as he spoke and ended up in tears as he related the story.

Wow didn't know that. Makes him passing even more sad.