Quiz No.3 - NOW LIVE - Have A Go! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Quiz No.3 - NOW LIVE - Have A Go!

Question 9 - as I recall it, for the Darlington match promotion had been confirmed by results elsewhere and the team came out to a guard of honour and a huge reception? I hesitate to challenge an authority of much greater reliability and look forward to being put to rights.

Think I got 4/10 so the prosecution rests, m'lud.

Question 9 - as I recall it, for the Darlington match promotion had been confirmed by results elsewhere and the team came out to a guard of honour and a huge reception?

That's correct. The Echo that night reported it as follows:

"Lincoln City's promotion became a mathematical certainty last night...The scoreline which confirmed City's place in the Third Division next season came from Prenton Park where Tranmere Rovers suffered their second home defeat of the season. They went down 2-1 to Hartlepool...

"With 61 points before tonight's game with Darlington, the Red Imps can be overtaken by only three of the four teams below them, even if they lose every one of their eight games.

"Tranmere can reach 61 points by winning their last five matches; Huddersfield can reach 62 if they win their last six. But as Huddersfield visit Tranmere on Easter Saturday, it means that only one of them can win enough to be level or ahead of City.

"Before tonight's match, the full squad of 20 players and apprentices who have shared the triumph will go onto the pitch to acknowledge the help given by the supporters."

As I remember it they also did a lap of honour.

That's correct. The Echo that night reported it as follows:

"Lincoln City's promotion became a mathematical certainty last night...The scoreline which confirmed City's place in the Third Division next season came from Prenton Park where Tranmere Rovers suffered their second home defeat of the season. They went down 2-1 to Hartlepool...

"With 61 points before tonight's game with Darlington, the Red Imps can be overtaken by only three of the four teams below them, even if they lose every one of their eight games.

"Tranmere can reach 61 points by winning their last five matches; Huddersfield can reach 62 if they win their last six. But as Huddersfield visit Tranmere on Easter Saturday, it means that only one of them can win enough to be level or ahead of City.

"Before tonight's match, the full squad of 20 players and apprentices who have shared the triumph will go onto the pitch to acknowledge the help given by the supporters."

As I remember it they also did a lap of honour.
I stand corrected. I remember going to the Darlington game believing we needed a point to be mathematically promoted - possibly that Easter game between Tranmere and Huddersfield?

I stand corrected. I remember going to the Darlington game believing we needed a point to be mathematically promoted - possibly that Easter game between Tranmere and Huddersfield?

I remember travelling to Lincoln that night thinking the same - then getting that night's Echo and finding we already were promoted!

The previous game, on the Saturday before was a 4-1 home win over Newport so I suppose that was the game that won us promotion, although we didn't know it at the time.