Question and answer session with Nicholas Randall | Page 2 | Vital Football

Question and answer session with Nicholas Randall

It appears that Danny Taylor was non too impressed with the first part of the Q&A session with Nic Randall.

His latest article in todays The Athletic, titled "Nottingham Forest must no longer over-promise and under-deliver" takes aim at last weeks Q&A and re hashes a number of issues from an earlier broadside.

I cannot post the link: I mailed The Athletic a while ago to ask if it was acceptable to post links to articles and was told in no uncertain terms that it was not, and that they could tell from the link who had posted what, so I will not bother.

Having read the article twice, I find it difficult to comprehend where he is coming from; he clearly has an Axe to grind with Vrentzos, who appears to be the source of everything that is going wrong at the Club as far as he is concerned, which I think everyone gets.

And it is not even the "I know something you do not" tone which is the problem; after all, you would expect a top class journalist like him to have a long list of credible contacts in the game; its the way he is lumping on other issues for effect that is the concern, particularly when you find out later that some of the minor claims are not correct.

He does not think that Andy Caddell was the correct person for the interview, as it was un Jeremy Paxman like; he thought "in cricket terms, the Q&A could have done with a googly or two being sent down – maybe even the odd bouncer – rather than just a few gentle lobs that could easily be batted away."

He was critical of Randall who he thinks is there purely for effect; did you know for example that the staff have been informed that it is mandatory to include the letters "QC" after all mentions of Randall's name?

Maybe this is an initiative for the future because there was a distinct lack of those letters in the correspondence I have received from the Club during the last fortnight.

After painting a picture which portrays Randall as an "extra sheen of respectability" Danny then quotes David Johnson "Johnson’s verdict was blunt and straight to the point. On football matters, he said, the problem was that Randall “hasn’t got a clue?”

The really surprising thing about using Johnson's quote was not the very selective nature of the quote, the full version of which gives a totally different impression, but the fact that during the Q&A, Randall went to great pains to emphasise that his role at the Club was focussed on Governance and Regulatory issues; why he is being blamed in part for the on field failures was not explained.

One of the major surprises in the article was the swing that Danny took at Johnny Owen's; well, maybe swing is the wrong word because it was more like a combination of punches thrown.

I got the impression that Danny and Johnny were good buddies; it appears not.

Johnny is now described as "Cardiff City fan who has switched allegiances" and "Vrentzos’ right-hand man, and occasional spin doctor."

He again made reference to the Miracle Gates, and the fact that the Stand has not been built yet and that the Academy has not moved yet, but surely they are ongoing projects.

Danny has obviously taken issue with something that has happened or with how something is being done; that's fair enough - he has earned that platform from which to air his views and he is well within his rights to publish them.

However, it remains unclear what the central point of his argument is, other than Vrentzos is involved; if Vrentzos has done something bad, we need to be hearing about it, if it is just a personal spat, we dont.

And continually adding ephemera into the mix, for effect, does nothing more than undermine whatever argument he has.

It appears that Danny Taylor was non too impressed with the first part of the Q&A session with Nic Randall.

His latest article in todays The Athletic, titled "Nottingham Forest must no longer over-promise and under-deliver" takes aim at last weeks Q&A and re hashes a number of issues from an earlier broadside.

I cannot post the link: I mailed The Athletic a while ago to ask if it was acceptable to post links to articles and was told in no uncertain terms that it was not, and that they could tell from the link who had posted what, so I will not bother.

Having read the article twice, I find it difficult to comprehend where he is coming from; he clearly has an Axe to grind with Vrentzos, who appears to be the source of everything that is going wrong at the Club as far as he is concerned, which I think everyone gets.

And it is not even the "I know something you do not" tone which is the problem; after all, you would expect a top class journalist like him to have a long list of credible contacts in the game; its the way he is lumping on other issues for effect that is the concern, particularly when you find out later that some of the minor claims are not correct.

He does not think that Andy Caddell was the correct person for the interview, as it was un Jeremy Paxman like; he thought "in cricket terms, the Q&A could have done with a googly or two being sent down – maybe even the odd bouncer – rather than just a few gentle lobs that could easily be batted away."

He was critical of Randall who he thinks is there purely for effect; did you know for example that the staff have been informed that it is mandatory to include the letters "QC" after all mentions of Randall's name?

Maybe this is an initiative for the future because there was a distinct lack of those letters in the correspondence I have received from the Club during the last fortnight.

After painting a picture which portrays Randall as an "extra sheen of respectability" Danny then quotes David Johnson "Johnson’s verdict was blunt and straight to the point. On football matters, he said, the problem was that Randall “hasn’t got a clue?”

The really surprising thing about using Johnson's quote was not the very selective nature of the quote, the full version of which gives a totally different impression, but the fact that during the Q&A, Randall went to great pains to emphasise that his role at the Club was focussed on Governance and Regulatory issues; why he is being blamed in part for the on field failures was not explained.

One of the major surprises in the article was the swing that Danny took at Johnny Owen's; well, maybe swing is the wrong word because it was more like a combination of punches thrown.

Johnny is now described as "Cardiff City fan who has switched allegiances" and "Vrentzos’ right-hand man, and occasional spin doctor."

He again made reference to the Miracle Gates, and the fact that the Stand has not been built yet and that the Academy has not moved yet, but surely they are ongoing projects.

Danny has obviously taken issue with something that has happened or with how something is being done; that's fair enough - he has earned that platform from which to air his views and he is well within his rights to publish them.

However, it remains unclear what the central point of his argument is, other than Vrentzos is involved; if Vrentzos has done something bad, we need to be hearing about it, if it is just a personal spat, we dont.

And continually adding ephemera into the mix, for effect, does nothing more than undermine whatever argument he has.

I haven't read the article but over promise and under deliver certainly seems valid...

To be fair, you didn't actually point out any inaccuracies with the article, just mostly that you don't like DT's tone and don't like what he decided to write about.

I think mao is pointing out that there is no smoking gun and if there is, fans should be made aware. Otherwise it seems like more of a personality clash.

I think mao is pointing out that there is no smoking gun and if there is, fans should be made aware. Otherwise it seems like more of a personality clash.

I mean the league table and our wages to turnover are smoking guns...but more it's just a different analysis that Mao doesn't agree with.

I dont think that the bloke is averse to telling porkies to be honest. His account of the free lunch to grease RBC planning committee in a public place was i thought at the time a load of bollocks. This is 2021 not 1971. Things like that do not happen.

I dont think that the bloke is averse to telling porkies to be honest. His account of the free lunch to grease RBC planning committee in a public place was i thought at the time a load of bollocks. This is 2021 not 1971. Things like that do not happen.

Not exactly what he said and if you think relationship building doesn't still happen you're nuts.

That is exactly it.

For some reason Danny has a problem with Vrentzos, but he will not say what it is.

Rather than lay his cards on the table, he has a dig at Vrentzos and then attempts to embellish the dig with side issues, some of which are patently untrue, and some which are just too petty for words.

Either he has a story or he does not; so far all we have witnessed is a vanity project not investigative journalism.

Not exactly what he said and if you think relationship building doesn't still happen you're nuts.
I dont get your drift? The piece went on in great detail about a lunch in a restaurent where Ventros lost it with the RBC planning committee. " waiters were shocked". I dont believe it happened.

I dont get your drift? The piece went on in great detail about a lunch in a restaurent where Ventros lost it with the RBC planning committee. " waiters were shocked". I dont believe it happened.

Oh it did; it happened at a Restaurant in West Bridgford the name of which escapes me.

There is nothing to stop Council Officials being entertained provided the cost falls within a certain modest range and the lunch is recorded for transparency purposes.

If the Lunch is too lavish you also get HMRC asking questions about BIK.

My Accountant insists I record every instance were I spend more than £50 on any one person, not that it happens with any great frequency.

Oh it did; it happened at a Restaurant in West Bridgford the name of which escapes me.

There is nothing to stop Council Officials being entertained provided the cost falls within a certain modest range and the lunch is recorded for transparency purposes.

If the Lunch is too lavish you also get HMRC asking questions about BIK.

My Accountant insists I record every instance were I spend more than £50 on any one person, not that it happens with any great frequency.
And you know " it did happen " how? and by the way i have had a bottle at Christmas refused by a local authority department on the grounds of a standing order relating to " gifts"

And you know " it did happen " how? and by the way i have had a bottle at Christmas refused by a local authority department on the grounds of a standing order relating to " gifts"

It is common knowledge amongst people at the Club, many of whom found it highly amusing.

Receiving gifts is still a thorny issue with many Councils; they will refuse gifts even when they fall inside approved guidelines, purely on the basis of perception.

It is common knowledge amongst people at the Club, many of whom found it highly amusing.

Receiving gifts is still a thorny issue with many Councils; they will refuse gifts even when they fall inside approved guidelines, purely on the basis of perception.
My point is that i have personal experience of lets face it trying to smooth relations with a local authority through gifts, meals etc and i know how over the years they have become wise and even some would say paranoid about the whole subject. To be expected to believe a table full of them and Forest officials conducted discussions designed to clinch this deal in full public view? Sorry i just don't believe it.

My point is that i have personal experience of lets face it trying to smooth relations with a local authority through gifts, meals etc and i know how over the years they have become wise and even some would say paranoid about the whole subject. To be expected to believe a table full of them and Forest officials conducted discussions designed to clinch this deal in full public view? Sorry i just don't believe it.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/news-opinion/here-free-gifts-nottingham-city-3689721

I mean the league table and our wages to turnover are smoking guns...but more it's just a different analysis that Mao doesn't agree with.

Could well be. Although it does sound like that ratio is reducing. For me jury is still out and there is still goodwill but there remains a level of frustration and confusion over recruitment.

Could well be. Although it does sound like that ratio is reducing. For me jury is still out and there is still goodwill but there remains a level of frustration and confusion over recruitment.

Nope.

From 143% of turnover to 148% of turnover. A ridiculous figure, especially with so few assets of worth that aren't academy.