Question and answer session with Nicholas Randall | Vital Football

Question and answer session with Nicholas Randall

mao tse tung

Vital Champions League
The Supporters Trust and Nic Randall had a question and answer session the first part of which can be found here:

https://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/2021/march/qa-with-chairman-nicholas-randall-qc/

The bullet points are as follows:

You have been here nearly four seasons, how do you think it has gone?

Very pleased with the first three season, disappointed with the fourth.

Progress off of the Pitch

Pleased with progress; when he came into the Club there was no structure in place - the previous owner had lost interest.

Income has risen from 18m four years ago to close on 27m

Senior Management Structure

Comprises of Nic Randall, Vrentzos and Johnny Owen; always looking for more expertise

Ownership

Still 80/20 between EM and Kominakis

Chairman's Role

The role falls part way between being exec/non exec

Started off as a non executive role but has moved on with the increased work load.

Any further changes will be dependent on the Club needs

Recruitment

Modesto described as Head of Recruitment - runs a worldwide network of scouts

Manager has final say on all signings

Have mistakes been made?

Mistakes have been made and repeatedly made.

Mistakes are unavoidable

Important thing is to learn from them.

Too much emphasis was placed on short termism

How can the Club improve?

Communication is one are they are desperate to improve on

Must have better interaction with supporters

Gave season ticket initiative as an example

Overview of the Club Accounts

On the verge of record turnover

20m written off is further proof of EMs commitment - he is not looking to sell anytime soon

We are well within P & S guidelines

Next set of accounts will display a big improvement with regard to losses.

Sustainability of the Club

The Club is fully sustainable in the short to medium term

EM determined to make the Club a success

He is heavily investing in both Club and Community

How Sustainable is the industry?

Judging by his answer I would say not very

Unfair distribution of money

Clubs forced to sell young players before they have developed

Progress made

Gone as far as they can without significant improvement to facilities

David Cook done a great job with what was at his disposal

But there is a balancing act between what can be charged and what they should be charging

Season Ticket Discounts

They will be in the form of specific offers at specific times - not across the board.

The second part, which incudes questions and answers on the new Stand and the Academy is to follow:

The Supporters Trust and Nic Randall had a question and answer session the first part of which can be found here:

https://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/2021/march/qa-with-chairman-nicholas-randall-qc/

The bullet points are as follows:

You have been here nearly four seasons, how do you think it has gone?

Very pleased with the first three season, disappointed with the fourth.

Progress off of the Pitch

Pleased with progress; when he came into the Club there was no structure in place - the previous owner had lost interest.

Income has risen from 18m four years ago to close on 27m

Senior Management Structure

Comprises of Nic Randall, Vrentzos and Johnny Owen; always looking for more expertise

Ownership

Still 80/20 between EM and Kominakis

Chairman's Role

The role falls part way between being exec/non exec

Started off as a non executive role but has moved on with the increased work load.

Any further changes will be dependent on the Club needs

Recruitment

Modesto described as Head of Recruitment - runs a worldwide network of scouts

Manager has final say on all signings

Have mistakes been made?

Mistakes have been made and repeatedly made.

Mistakes are unavoidable

Important thing is to learn from them.

Too much emphasis was placed on short termism

How can the Club improve?

Communication is one are they are desperate to improve on

Must have better interaction with supporters

Gave season ticket initiative as an example

Overview of the Club Accounts

On the verge of record turnover

20m written off is further proof of EMs commitment - he is not looking to sell anytime soon

We are well within P & S guidelines

Next set of accounts will display a big improvement with regard to losses.

Sustainability of the Club

The Club is fully sustainable in the short to medium term

EM determined to make the Club a success

He is heavily investing in both Club and Community

How Sustainable is the industry?

Judging by his answer I would say not very

Unfair distribution of money

Clubs forced to sell young players before they have developed

Progress made

Gone as far as they can without significant improvement to facilities

David Cook done a great job with what was at his disposal

But there is a balancing act between what can be charged and what they should be charging

Season Ticket Discounts

They will be in the form of specific offers at specific times - not across the board.

The second part, which incudes questions and answers on the new Stand and the Academy is to follow:
Watched it this morning ( 37 minutes long). Good answers to good questions i thought. The next part which is to be filmed and released next week will i think give more of an insight into the stadium plans, coming as it does at the time when the new planning submission was due to be made.

Having got over the no one died thing & having watched the full thing, I think it was a fair (though slightly boring appraisal of what has gone on) the main problem is addressing the issue of recruitment because our wage bill is fucking stupid, we are paying far too much to everyone but there’s been far too much wasted on people who are not contributing at all.

We have sort of stumbled on a sustainable strategy in terms of selling our young playerz which while not ideal is laudable, what is annoying & very much not laudable is if we then piss away all that money.

As we have consistently made money off our academy & are starting to get recognition for this, why not keep it going & spend more on it. Also let’s look at managers who want to be a part of that, not just sign ex Brighton playerz in attempt to bore our way to safety/mid table/promotion

Any thoughts on the teams it is felt the EFL didn’t deal with as strongly as many would have liked. Assume Weds and Derby. Is Brum included as they have had several penalties and could suffer ultimate, yet. Any others?

Really positive to hear where we are financially vs FFP/P&S for next year. Perhaps suggests that Hughton will have some cash to spend on transfers.

Hughton has already started to list his targets for next season and Gary Brazil is working away on that list.

It will not be long before the transfer activity kicks off again.

The season ends on 8th May

The Play offs are on 31st May

The transfer window opens on 9th June

The Fixtures are due out on the 17th June

And the league kicks off on 6th Aug

We just have the small matter of getting this car crash of a season out of the way first.

He's a very impressive individual and I'm delighted that he is our chairman.
I trust these guys will correct the mess on recruitment and move us forward after learning from last years mistakes

I agree.

I have yet to meet anyone at the Club with a bad word to say about him.

If everyone at the Club did their jobs as well as he does his, we would already be in the PL.

I agree.

I have yet to meet anyone at the Club with a bad word to say about him.

If everyone at the Club did their jobs as well as he does his, we would already be in the PL.
Yup. I am still 50/50 on CH. I hope we don't see Murray, Bong and Jenks next season, and clearing out some of these ludicrous contracts (Bong/Jenks/Grabs) has to be a priority

If Hughton has money to invest and strengthen then I’d go as far as to say it’s a sackable offense to keep Bong. I’d also go nowhere near Murray. I’m sure there’s a loyalty and a level of nostalgia Hughton has there but he needs to lead with his head - these are the types of players that prevent us pushing forward.

We need young hungry players behind our better pro’s to ensure there’s a desire to win every week. The team has severely lacked in energy this season and I think it stems from having a lot of players coming to the end of their peak and going through the motions at times.

Just look at the difference Garner has made - yes he’s very talented, but he has that spring in his step that you get from young enthusiastic players desperate to win. If we can get players like Jephcott as an example in 3/4 positions across the pitch, we’ll be quicker, you’d hope be more courageous, and it should rub off on the rest.

If Hughton has money to invest and strengthen then I’d go as far as to say it’s a sackable offense to keep Bong. I’d also go nowhere near Murray. I’m sure there’s a loyalty and a level of nostalgia Hughton has there but he needs to lead with his head - these are the types of players that prevent us pushing forward.

We need young hungry players behind our better pro’s to ensure there’s a desire to win every week. The team has severely lacked in energy this season and I think it stems from having a lot of players coming to the end of their peak and going through the motions at times.

Just look at the difference Garner has made - yes he’s very talented, but he has that spring in his step that you get from young enthusiastic players desperate to win. If we can get players like Jephcott as an example in 3/4 positions across the pitch, we’ll be quicker, you’d hope be more courageous, and it should rub off on the rest.

I don't think its anything to do with loyalty or nostalgia; a good number of managers will sign former players because of trust.

They trust certain players to carry out instructions on the pitch, and I know one of Hughton's biggest frustrations this season has been players going off script.

I do not think he will have any option but to keep Bong; Ribeiro will be off, he would have had a contract by now if he was staying.

Personally, I would have fucked him off after the Swansea game; that kind of lack of concentration is unacceptable from Professionals; he would have been quickly followed by that comedian who plays in goal.

We need a level of consistency from our Keeper; being brilliant one minute and gifting goals the next is not good enough.

Can only agree. Think a keeper can make three mistakes a season. Samba is close to double figures. Next game will show him up. Cardiff have seven players above 7 feet. He has to come for balls and come decisively. Coming, not coming and flapping undermines a defence. On keeper watch.

Think Christie has improved second half of season.

Biggest mistake was not getting the planning sorted. We could have had a brand new stand built when fans were not in the stadium. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Biggest mistake was not getting the planning sorted. We could have had a brand new stand built when fans were not in the stadium. Hindsight is a wonderful thing
Do a bit of research then come back and have another go. The club have made no mistakes in relation to the matter of the stadium upgrade.

Mistake was probably the wrong word. A matter of timing. Thanks for correcting things.

See this forum is still a social club for the unemployable

Not that impressed but then I havent been fooled the last 20 years very often either :) Total nonsense about the transfer policies, not a single person believes that our managers sanctioned all those signings. He was being very careful with his wording. They have bungled the playing side from day one, from the 15m eur spunked on Carz to the shocking 16 player incomings to replace cash :)

On the positive side and it really is positive is that the owner is still in it for the long haul.. at least right now he is. Thats the one good thing about development for me, the fact it would secure the owner even more.

Still need some passion at the club tho, its kinda lacking at board level and that passes down the entire line

Mistake was probably the wrong word. A matter of timing. Thanks for correcting things.

See this forum is still a social club for the unemployable
No it isnt, we just have to suffer you sometimes.~
Ironically, building it without fans is far more expensive than building with them :)