QPR v Swans | Vital Football

QPR v Swans

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
Next up, this Wednesday night at 19:45, one of the many mid-week away matches in London.
The corresponding fixture mid-April last season was a nightmare, a 4-0 hammering, and it could have been a lot worse. We were 3-0 down after 17 mins to manager-less QPR, with coach John Eustace temporarily in charge.
They had only won one match in 2019 and were in fear of relegation, we came into this match having won four matches on the bounce.
They were orchestrated by ex-player Rangel, who played like a man possessed, after derogatory social media comments about him having to mark flying winger Dan James, and he was also fired up to play well after not being offered a new contract by the Swans the previous season.
This drubbing effectively ended our play-off hopes.
We had 72% possession with a total of 1 shot on target!

Potter said after the match: "It was a tough afternoon, QPR fully deserved their win. We've had a good run with high performances levels... but this was an uncomfortable afternoon for us.
They pressed us high and tried to stop us playing and we didn't recognise where the space was quickly enough.
QPR were better than us today and deserved their win. We apologise to our fans who came to watch."

The team that day:
Nordfelt, Roberts, vdH, Vickers, Naughton (Fulton 45’), Byers (Rodon 65’), Grimes, Dyer (Celina 45’), McBurnie, James, Routledge.

Last edited:
QPR v Swans Wed 21st August
Live on Sky Sports (red button)
Live on Swans TV (£10 fee in UK)
EFL highlights on Quest at 22:30

Steve Cooper:
“I’ve watched all of their games and they’ve played well so far. My opinion is that they have played some good football and they created some really good chances against Bristol City, even though they lost.
We feel like we have a plan to win and our focus will be on getting the belief right to deliver when it counts. It’s a really good feeling in the group at the moment."

Mark Warburton:
“I know Steve and the job he has done. He is very attentive to detail and very game savvy so we know we face a very tough test.
They have a good squad, plenty of ability and have had a really good start.
I think it will be two good footballing teams and we have to be better than them on the ball and use it quickly and creatively.”

Rangel has apologised to Swans fans for gestures he made at them during this fixture last April.

Last edited:
Half Time:
QPR 0 v Swansea 1 (Celina 29’)
Possession 46% - 54%
Shots 6 - 6
Shots on Target 1 - 3
Corners 4 - 1
Fouls 5 - 6

Full Time:

QPR 1 (Hugill 66') - Swansea 3 (Celina 29’, Baston 70’ pen, Surridge 80’)
Possession 52% - 48%
Shots 22 - 10
Shots on Target 3 - 5
Corners 7 - 2
Fouls 10 - 13
Yellow Cards 2 - 3

Attendance 12,287

Brilliant win for us! I thought we got lucky , they should have had a penalty but that's football, we went up the other end and got one ourselves and then we took control. We conceded another 22 shots and that's becoming a concern, the better sides are limiting opposition to fewer shots much better than us, and I feel if we want to maintain this form we need to improve that.