QPR & Fulham | Vital Football

QPR & Fulham

RebelBee

Vital 1st Team Regular
Morning chaps, if anyone is out there - far too quiet on here after a brilliant win over our friends from the Bush. What a day, our 1st double over them in my lifetime - and what a beautiful goal from the king of Spain. Special times, special scenes and the memories of a lifetime being created right here in TW8.

In truth we've played better recently and were a bit careless with the ball at times, Rangers were direct and caused a few problems with the high ball, and had a knack of picking off our loose passes just outside their box and throwing it in to Smith. Fortunately the back line looked mobile and solid and Dan Bentley had a really good day when needed. That said we rarely needed top gear, our width and pace caused them all sorts of problems, the 2 centre halves splittting and switching play really helps to open teams up, throw in the wide options both sides and it is creating space for Vibe to thrive in. This has been the difference tactically for me. Woods back to his best in front of the defence & with the rejuvenated Sawyers passing sides to death, Rico looking like a real star in the making, Maxine and Clarke giving different options and of course what more can you say about the 2 amigos?
To add I think Barbet has really staked a big claim for the regular starting CH spot next to Harlee - great guy and a fine player.

Being extremely picky I'd say that to really push on we probably need an upgrade on Nico and Vibe to go that bit further. They're both very decent championship players, but our style requires a bit more care without the ball in offensive areas and for the lone forward to be able to do a bit more with his back to goal, hard problems to solve I'd agree.

Big credit to DS also, questions asked and answered through the run in, sure the January arrivals have transformed us, but Smith has produced some of the most impressive displays and now results in all our 3 seasons at this level - again the ghosts of Warbs and co long since vanquished

Only slight disappointment for me on Sat was that we were a few hundred short of selling out. Some seeing next week as the bigger game. GP was rocking and amazing but the team and club deserve everyone who can to be at these games, and to keep this's up next season. The club is growing, building and all the post Warbs crap is long behind us, I'm of the opinion that we we are a far bigger club than many of our own realise, now is the time to show it! So for anyone still thinking about the trip to Putney on Sat, there are some tickets left, get one today and enjoy a real test against a very decent FFC side by the Thames. Same again on the final day. The pressure is off, time to enjoy what has tuned out to be a really kind decent season.

Coyr

Agree Rebel it was a great day which i enjoyed every minute of and I thought we played very well. QPR gave it ago with their direct percentage style but in the end we outclassed them. They made it difficult for us at times which meant we were not as dominant as say against Derby but still a very good performance.

DS seemed a bit reserved about the performance for some reason and I did wonder what he meant in his interviewer to the BBC when he said "People will always have opinions but all we can do is keep working hard ", seemed an odd comment to me given how well we have played recently .

Not a bad performance from anyone and for me Sawyers edged it as MoM , he seems like a man released from pressure at the moment and is flying, his movement and finding space is realty impressive.

Good days and onwards to Putney next week.

I have just watched the highlights, and, apart from the goals, I loved the bit when Barbet scored and Canos made a suitable gesture at the qpr fans. He clearly has taken our club to heart.

I normally get over to see a game once or twice a year, but haven’t been able to make it this season. It’s difficult to comment too much, not seeing them live. What strikes me most though is the quality right through the team, they can all pass and are comfortable with the ball, and they can all play without the ball, moving into space. It’s great to see Jota bring the ball down or chip it first time over the full back but for me it’s the fact that the pass comes straight to his feet. He gave Bidwell a ‘mare, but it was the service he was getting that gave him the chance to do it.

For how many years have we seen the pass go straight to the opposite full back or bounce ten yards short and fly into touch? I don’t know if we can make a promotion push next year, but if we play the sort of football we played against Derby a few times next season, I don’t really care.

Anyway, I will have to come to say good-bye to Griffin Park and that is going to be really hard to stand in the Ealing Road for the last time. COYB

A quick lurk around FFC forums and we might as well not turn up on Sat, they are that cocksure of smashing us. Seriously I'm not exaggerating either. They were the best side to come to GP this season but we have improved no end. Whatever happens we ain't going over there to roll over.

Coyr

Wasn't as good as the Derby performance but more than enough to see off a poor Rangers side.
Just seen our line up for Fulham....shows a real lack of depth in the squad despite all our numbers. Hope I'm wrong as it would be great to screw up their play off hopes but I can't see us getting anything today now. Woods, Henry and Colin all out.

An enjoyable afternoon in Putney in the end. We badly missed our injured three particularly Rico for his attacking intent but full marks to Field for a vey good second half. Unusually for us we couldn't dominate possession of the ball so it led to a more defensive performance than we are used to against a slick Fulham side. First half was a bit shaky but second half we really came of age defensively, could have done with some of that in some of the away day defeats this season.

Bentley's double save was outstanding and he with Dean were really solid all afternoon and the front three probed and moved without really getting through as they have done recently.

No complaints about the result and in spite of their dominance of possession we had as many shots on goal, the day showed that we can contain and counter attack with some aplomb if we need to.

Craven Cottage is a nice ground and a good away day but not sure about those happy clapper things they all had but I guess it fits with their image as a club!

That summary all feels about right Kentbee, happy to get a point and pleased with the performance given the enforced changes - and as you say FFC are a good side., way better than 6th. Nice to have a few B team product out there too. It really is a nice away day although I feel so blessed to support Brentford as it is, rather than their plastic manufactured version of a "soccer-ball" club. those clappers were just wrong. Good turn out from 4K plus proper bees given that the game was a bit of a dead rubber for us & tickets never went on general sale. Need to finish off properly next week and beat Blackburn - my trip up there in winter was a low point, plus I'd like to see us with more points and a higher placing than last term.

Great catching up with so many top Brentford people at CC, our club is special. Some interesting topics being aired and for another thread (the new ground, foreign investment, incoming / outgoing players, our prospects) never dull is it. See you all Sunday - be there if you can.

Great summary, Kent. Bentley outstanding, could have been three one down at half time! They dominated and took advantage of a weaker right back and we really missed Colin there, Woods too.
We ground out that draw and that's a great sign, they are a good side and deserve to be up there, dominating much of the game but feel we got a result we'd earned.
Now absolutely certain that a certain someone is just sh*t and not good enough for this division.....can we please offload him in close season?
Nice to see Westbrooke (sp?) given a short run out too.

As for those clapper things.....along with music after goals, drums and musical instruments....for tin pot clubs and not needed.