Qatar World Cup - Shocking Figures | Vital Football

Qatar World Cup - Shocking Figures

Revealed: 6,500 migrant workers have died in Qatar as it gears up for World Cup | Global development | The Guardian

Look, I know this rag isn't the most reliable news source in the world but however the authorities try to massage/disappear/justify those figures, they are truly sickening. Food for thought.

This is the free-market in action. As a supporter of right-wing and Brexit politics I'm surprised to see you objecting to this. You don't support unions or workers rights and this is exactly what happens when your politics appertains.

Save your hypocritical crocodile tears you tawdry little hypocrite.

As to reliable news sources, you're the man who believed Nigel Farage and his fellow-travellers.

So, basically, fuck off.

This World Cup should never have gone ahead for so many, many reasons. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour on the part of FIFA.
Everyone involved with the World Cup should do some deep thinking about this, and I mean everyone - FIFA, national football associations, sponsors, players and the fans intending to travel or watch on TV.

I would never tell anyone what they must do as I believe individuals and organisations ought to take responsibility for their own decisions and consciences on this matter.

What I do find hypocritical though is the sustained efforts of the 'football family' over the non football related death of a single person in another foreign country. Fair enough some will say, but the football related deaths of over 6,500 human beings in a foreign country and barely a peep.....from anyone connected with football......so far!

Disgusting and shameful in equal measure. If you thought The Premier League was morally hostage to it's odious pursuit of money what on earth does this say about FIFA.

If money is their God and this sham World Cup surely goes ahead as it will, there will be plenty of the stuff sloshing around. Maybe just maybe to regain even a shred of human decency they could consider that there are 6,500 impoverished families minus a significant bread winner as a result of their competition.

It wouldn't ease the grief but it may ease the hardship. Just a thought.

Everyone involved with the World Cup should do some deep thinking about this, and I mean everyone - FIFA, national football associations, sponsors, players and the fans intending to travel or watch on TV.

I would never tell anyone what they must do as I believe individuals and organisations ought to take responsibility for their own decisions and consciences on this matter.

What I do find hypocritical though is the sustained efforts of the 'football family' over the non football related death of a single person in another foreign country. Fair enough some will say, but the football related deaths of over 6,500 human beings in a foreign country and barely a peep.....from anyone connected with football......so far!

Disgusting and shameful in equal measure. If you thought The Premier League was morally hostage to it's odious pursuit of money what on earth does this say about FIFA.

If money is their God and this sham World Cup surely goes ahead as it will, there will be plenty of the stuff sloshing around. Maybe just maybe to regain even a shred of human decency they could consider that there are 6,500 impoverished families minus a significant bread winner as a result of their competition.

More faux concern from a right-wing Farage-supporting Brexiteer who opposes workers' rights and union organisation that might actually have prevented this obscene death toll.

Fuck off disgusting hypocrite.

What. They built 8 stadiums and 6500 people died during the construction of those stadiums.
Seems to ridiculous to be true.
That's 800 and odd people per stadium.
Imagine if over 800 people had died whilst working to build the new Tottenham stadium.

Let's remember here that Hulloutpost was looking forward to "Singapore on Thames" after Brexit (his phrase, not mine).

Singapore is one of the least regulated capitalist economies in the world with almost no workers' rights. Very much like Qatar.

Draw your own conclusions about Hulluotpost's concerns about worker deaths in Qatar.

What. They built 8 stadiums and 6500 people died during the construction of those stadiums.
Seems to ridiculous to be true.
That's 800 and odd people per stadium.
Imagine if over 800 people had died whilst working to build the new Tottenham stadium.
It's a good comparison. Slightly different but the one that comes to mind for me is The Humber Bridge. I saw that go up before my eyes over many years and there was cutting edge engineering in a very dangerous environment going on there. I believe the death toll arsing from that particular project was 5.

It's a good comparison. Slightly different but the one that comes to mind for me is The Humber Bridge. I saw that go up before my eyes over many years and there was cutting edge engineering in a very dangerous environment going on there. I believe the death toll arsing from that particular project was 5.

Probably down to regulation, unionism and workers' rights. Nothing you support.

Well said. And excellent for highlighting this.

I think all countries should boycott Qatar.
I'm certainly confident that Scotland will be doing so.

Broadcasters boycotting would be of much greater damage to FIFA of course.
Huge sums are paid for broadcasting rights, and huge sums paid by global companies for the mass advertising that the World Cup gives them.

Was there any outcome into the bribery investigations into Qatar winning the bid?
Even without bribery, it was the most bizarre choice. A tiny state (literally and most definitely in football terms).
Great that the Middle East / Arab world should get a turn at the World Cup, but several other countries would rank way above Qatar, and disregarding any other issues in other states, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Iran, all way bigger in every sense, and all regular qualifiers for World Cup finals.

Broadcasters boycotting would be of much greater damage to FIFA of course.
Huge sums are paid for broadcasting rights, and huge sums paid by global companies for the mass advertising that the World Cup gives them.

Was there any outcome into the bribery investigations into Qatar winning the bid?
Even without bribery, it was the most bizarre choice. A tiny state (literally and most definitely in football terms).
Great that the Middle East / Arab world should get a turn at the World Cup, but several other countries would rank way above Qatar, and disregarding any other issues in other states, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Iran, all way bigger in every sense, and all regular qualifiers for World Cup finals.

I've postulated previously that a number of Arabic countries coming together to jointly host a world cup would have been acceptable to the majority of people as FIFA could have genuinely or otherwise (even if bribed), parked it under the banner of stimulating world football in an under developed or untapped zone.

Previous examples of South Korea, USA and South Africa set the template for that approach. I just couldn't get my head around a tiny country like Qatar being awarded sole rights.

It stinks of Qatar grandstanding, maybe even wanting to score points in hubris over some of their neighbours and basically throwing money at it - a grander scale FGR if you like. Whatever it is though it's not a vanity project on the part of The Qataris - it will have been done for political or status reasons.

Now whether any actual corruption was proven I don't know but you will never convince me that the required number of FIFA delegates just happened to come together and arrive at Qatar as the destination, in a level playing field.

I really couldn't care less if England never applies for or hosts a world cup again with FIFA in it's current incarnation and that's even after Blatter and his cohorts were turfed out.

I view FIFA like I view drug dealers. If you take out the head of the drug cartel the vacuum is filled by another drug cartel.

I've postulated previously that a number of Arabic countries coming together to jointly host a world cup would have been acceptable to the majority of people as FIFA could have genuinely or otherwise (even if bribed), parked it under the banner of stimulating world football in an under developed or untapped zone.

Previous examples of South Korea, USA and South Africa set the template for that approach. I just couldn't get my head around a tiny country like Qatar being awarded sole rights.

It stinks of Qatar grandstanding, maybe even wanting to score points in hubris over some of their neighbours and basically throwing money at it - a grander scale FGR if you like. Whatever it is though it's not a vanity project on the part of The Qataris - it will have been done for political or status reasons.

Now whether any actual corruption was proven I don't know but you will never convince me that the required number of FIFA delegates just happened to come together and arrive at Qatar as the destination, in a level playing field.

I really couldn't care less if England never applies for or hosts a world cup again with FIFA in it's current incarnation and that's even after Blatter and his cohorts were turfed out.

I view FIFA like I view drug dealers. If you take out the head of the drug cartel the vacuum is filled by another drug cartel.

Exactly so.

I see the players are getting their knickers in a twist about whether FIFA will let them conduct their latest virtue signalling venture aka the rainbow wrist bands. According to Kane there is only so much the players can do if they're not allowed to wear them.

That's right Kane (et al) your virtue signalling will achieve diddly squat whether it goes ahead or not. If you wear them, it will make no difference whatsoever as by attending the World Cup and being paid to perform you have already indicated you tacitly support (or at least aren't offended enough) the atrocities perpetrated by the Qatar regime.

However, it absolutely isn't the fault of the players, and the blame remains squarely with FIFA.