Pundits get the chop | Vital Football

Pundits get the chop

Crikey, I did not see that coming but as the piece suggests, Sky looks like completely revamping Soccer Saturday. I am surprised that Merson hasn’t gone. He’s arguably the worst of the lot.

It looks like Sky have decided to refresh their sport coverage completely following the events outside their control earlier in the year.
No doubt there will be more to come.

I will not miss any of the pundits who have been carted. Sky needs to refresh the pundits from time to time, this should keep some of the remaining current one eyed pundits on their toes enjoying their huge salaries.

I'm glad that Thompson and Nicholas have finally gone because of their constant screaming in the background when somebody else was reporting on a game,Jeff would go straight to them just to find out that Liverpool/Utd etc had got a corner and deserved it,Matt on the other hand I enjoy and I'm surprised that they've let him go but how the hell did Merson survive the chop,he always looks scruffy and struggles with any foreign players name,Kamara should go soley for saying "Unbelievable Jeff" way past it's funny stage

Last edited:
I thinker Merson has been retained for his comic value, his opinions predictions are usually wrong but you can’t help liking the guy. Thompson just biased and tried to be unbiased through gritted teeth and was more interested in what Liverpool were doing rather than concentrating on his own game. Charlie Nicholas probably the only one to be shifted due to openly confessing to liking watching City, apart from that he was unbiased in his opinions, but did get carried away at times. Le Tiss again genuine in his thoughts and sorry to see him go.
I am sure there will have been complaints that the panel was all white and I think they will address that in the coming season with a balanced panel, I just hope one of them is not Stan Collemore.

I thinker Merson has been retained for his comic value, his opinions predictions are usually wrong but you can’t help liking the guy. Thompson just biased and tried to be unbiased through gritted teeth and was more interested in what Liverpool were doing rather than concentrating on his own game. Charlie Nicholas probably the only one to be shifted due to openly confessing to liking watching City, apart from that he was unbiased in his opinions, but did get carried away at times. Le Tiss again genuine in his thoughts and sorry to see him go.
I am sure there will have been complaints that the panel was all white and I think they will address that in the coming season with a balanced panel, I just hope one of them is not Stan Collemore.

Oh dear Lord .......Collymore :slap:

Most popular pundits, according to Daily Star, great to see Micah right up there after 5 mins in the chair. Amazed Owen rates in top 10.

1. Alan Shearer - 76 per cent positivity

2. Paul Scholes - 73 per cent positivity

3. Micah Richards - 70 per cent positivity

4. Dion Dublin - 67 per cent positivity

5. Paul Merson - 67 per cent positivity

6. Ian Wright - 61 per cent positivity

7. Roy Keane - 60 per cent positivity

8. Michael Owen - 60 per cent positivity

9. Glenn Hoddle - 59 per cent positivity

10. Phil Thompson - 57 per cent positivity