PSV Eindhoven vs. Tottenham Hotspur | Page 14 | Vital Football

PSV Eindhoven vs. Tottenham Hotspur

It's a trend we've vall been able to witness in the last two seasons; but let's also not forget his saves (a couple of great ones) secured us all 3 points against the spam.
Yes he made a couple of good saves against spam, but he is far too inconsistent now, too many errors and blunders, poor distribution, which he has always been guilty of and stupid rash moments when he comes charging out when there is no need.
He is starting to lose us games as well as win them, I honestly don't think he will be as good as he was when he first joined us.
As I have said before, his slide into this has been since he was knocked out on the pitch, he's worsened bit by bit since then.

Wise old Dimitir Berbatov...

“As Juventus showed, the really good European teams know how to hold on to a lead, but that is somewhere Tottenham keep falling down in this season in the Champions League,” Berbatov told Betfair.

“After playing well to get back to 2-1 against PSV, they should have been able to see the game out, but the concentration levels slipped – as happened against Inter Milan – and it cost them again.

“I don’t think it’s down to a lack of experienced heads in the team – these players have plenty of Champions League experience now – but they need to work on the concentration as it’s not good when something keeps happening.”
-----

Small, silly, mistakes with great consequences. That's the theme of the season so far.

Clattenburg in his opinion thought Sanchez goal was wrongfully disallowed. That is bad luck, not poor finishing, not poor penetration....bad luck and bad officiating. We should get a re match. Seriously think what the financial ramifications will be . Down to a dumb ass ref and linesman.

How did that goal affect the game as we scored a few minutes later and went 2-1 up?

It’s just excuses.

Interesting stats here concerning Lloris and his blunders since the start of last season.
For those saying Butland is almost as bad, he doesn't come into the top 16 error strewn 'keepers table.
Lloris joint second to Hart who only has 2 more than Lloris.
https://talksport.com/football/4376...rone-goalkeepers-in-europes-top-five-leagues/

I'd be more interested in what percentage of times his coming off the line results in him winning the ball Vs not compared to previous seasons. He's always going to be higher in the error charts because he's so brave off his line when most keepers stay put but my gut tells me he won the ball when he did it vast majority in the past and now it feels like it's getting closer to 50/50. Either he's got slower or his decision making has got worse or both.

How did us having a goal wrongly disallowed in a game we ended up drawing affect the game?
Who knows, it might have fired PSV right up and resulted in us getting totally thrashed, or it may have demoralised them with us hammering them. Or it could have ended up 3 - 3.
All one can say is that in football, as in life, shit happens so you just suck it up, deal with it and carry on as if it hasn't happened.

Last edited:
I'd be more interested in what percentage of times his coming off the line results in him winning the ball Vs not compared to previous seasons. He's always going to be higher in the error charts because he's so brave off his line when most keepers stay put but my gut tells me he won the ball when he did it vast majority in the past and now it feels like it's getting closer to 50/50. Either he's got slower or his decision making has got worse or both.
He is nowhere as brave coming off his line as he was before he got knocked out. He goes in feet first now quite a lot, which more often results in the player being taken out, even Peter Shilton has commented on the way he comes out now, rather than spread with arms out to take the ball and protect his head.
That bang has affected him psychologically as well as his play so much more than anyone, maybe including himself and definitely the coaching staff, seems to realise, he isn't anywhere near the 'keeper he was before that incident.
I think that, combined with him being slower, both result in poorer decision making because it is making him dither mentally, so instead of acting on a rational decision, he panics and has a rush of blood to the head resulting in him doing something stupid.

Yes he made a couple of good saves against spam, but he is far too inconsistent now, too many errors and blunders, poor distribution, which he has always been guilty of and stupid rash moments when he comes charging out when there is no need.
He is starting to lose us games as well as win them, I honestly don't think he will be as good as he was when he first joined us.
As I have said before, his slide into this has been since he was knocked out on the pitch, he's worsened bit by bit since then.

All players as they age deteriorate physically and even mentally - that's just a medical fact; most especially it becomes more pronouned if an athlete has had/is carry even a memory of a bad injury - this is even more true when it's a goal keeper.

Sooner or later the performance analysts will be presenting data to Poch that means he and the club will make a selling decision; I suspect it could well be the end of this season.

I am a little surprised at the free pass given to Toby, in my view his mistake had a bigger influence on the game than Hugo's.
In my view that lifted PSV, we are making far too many individual mistakes. Maybe it's down to tiredness but something is clearly amiss, is it a coincident that these mistakes are been made by players that were in the later stages of the WC.

I am a little surprised at the free pass given to Toby, in my view his mistake had a bigger influence on the game than Hugo's.
In my view that lifted PSV, we are making far too many individual mistakes. Maybe it's down to tiredness but something is clearly amiss, is it a coincident that these mistakes are been made by players that were in the later stages of the WC.
Toby just got the weight of his touch wrong. Hugo rushed out even though we had two defenders on Luzano . It has been suggested he stays too far back towards his line which could have made is attempt more marginal. He also went in with both feet , if he'd stayed on them that's 3 defenders Luzano had on him.

All players as they age deteriorate physically and even mentally - that's just a medical fact; most especially it becomes more pronouned if an athlete has had/is carry even a memory of a bad injury - this is even more true when it's a goal keeper.

Sooner or later the performance analysts will be presenting data to Poch that means he and the club will make a selling decision; I suspect it could well be the end of this season.

Thing is 'keepers have more longevity than outfield players and as a 'keeper he should still be pretty much still in his prime. But as we agree, he seems to be carrying that knock out injury in the back of his mind and if that is the case, which I personally, having been a 'keeper, suspect it is, then he will get worse as time goes on, because it will always be there nagging away sub-consciously so maybe it is time to sell him asap so we can get a decent return on him. Problem is, who to replace him with, De Gea would be my choice, or Buffon, old as he is he is still bloody good and better that Hugo,, but both of them are out of OUR reach. If we sell Hugo we need a 'keeper who can walk straight into the first team who is better from the off.

Last edited: