Proof How Big Aston Villa Are/Should Be | Page 2 | Vital Football

Proof How Big Aston Villa Are/Should Be

I would have thought that some of that money would be held back to make us FFP compliant.

Whatever the numbers are, we can spend a few million more than we get in so if we get £100m (PLUS a £40m parachute payment) in then I'd expect most/all of that to be available to spend.

IIRC, £15m loss limit over three years in the EFL, £66m in the PL.

It's obviously not the ideal scenario if we go down but unlike last time around we actually *own* some top players who would command serious money - if we can't get promoted sharpish with that kind of wedge available then, yes, we've fooked it up.

Sure but it would be this lot +£100m of money available from Jack/SJM/Mings if they all went.
I would have thought that some of that money would be held back to make us FFP compliant.
All things being equal yes, but don't forget anything involving Jack is absolute pure profit and jam as he has no cost in effect coming though the Academy.

For FFP purposes whatever we sell Jack for is a silver bullet in the assessment and all of it can be reinvested in the first team at basically no net loss to our position.

McGinn/Mings would be amortised based on remaining contract, profit over initial buying fee but they'd still also leave us quids in is my guess.

So worst case on relegation:

Jack - that season's spending budget at no FFP debt loss.
McGinn/Mings - held back for Jan window or bolsters next season or yr 2/3 safety net.

Allied to sensible wage reductions etc, if the worst happens those 3 players effectively nail FFP for us + some spending for at least 2 FFP windows in my humble. This is worlds away from where we were when we went down last time.

And that's not even factoring in younger squad(resale)/better settled now/no mass spend required/12 months into Academy rebuild - compared to our long contract aging bunch who weren't good enough anyway and talented Academy players with no experience as we hadn't handled them right.

I can't see Trez, Targett or Engels being successful in the chumps.

Chester will be too old and Nakamba surely would want to leave.

Chezzie's only 30 I think.

Targett's best season was with Fulham don't forget so you can't rubbish him at that level.

Any chance this thread could be about what a big club we are?

By all means start a relegation thread about what might happen, who might stay/be sold/etc.

Cheers :thumbup:

Only thing I can say JF is we'll never know who they had in mind when Dean was appointed. They may well have sounded someone out of top calibre and it may have even been you yourself who said he probably wasnt first choice but for their own PR they need to say he was.

I agree we don't act as a big club we've constantly tried to run the club on the cheap however Xia and Lerner flirted with it and it should serve as a warning.

I don't really understand what you're after. Steady progressive building is more sustainable and successful than mad grabs to launch ourselves forward. I believe in patience - I think if you are patient and we find ourselves still in this league you'll see us acting more like a big club.

I want us to act like Dortmund and not City - I want a solid and sensible policy in effect. That means attempting to bring in the best young talent in the world and selling them to the likes of Madrid. We're not going to be a force for many many years and we have to acknowledge the game has moved on and we must earn back some status.

As long as we stay up, we'll see more of our owners intentions next summer for me. The FFP wriggle room will basically double, our wage growth restrictions will be better set, hopefully commercially we'll also be in a far better place in terms of revenue and being more self compliant.

We should start roaring a little bit more then and our future path should be a little bit clearer.

But are we building a house of straw?
Not for me, it's the first level of foundations trying to balance finance/Prem life/possible Champ life that doesn't kill us again.

Clearly bets have been hedged, if it doesn't work we're not that worse off but if it does work, as per above post - then we can see more of their intentions as our ability to speculate to grow massively improves.

We haven't been well run for 20/30 odd years in terms of where we should be compared to where we have been. All things in, we need patience as without the grounding we'll never be as big a club as we think we should be.

We need to match our name, heritage etc both on and off the pitch. Again, IF they get it right, we will be flying within 5-10 yrs, but we can't be entitled, we've got to earn it and this is the first step really.

Owners are 18 months in, the squad is basically 6 months in and in no way can it be the finished product.

If lumps like City and Chelsea can have their day, we will but not overnight.

And that's not even factoring in younger squad(resale)/better settled now/no mass spend required/12 months into Academy rebuild - compared to our long contract aging bunch who weren't good enough anyway and talented Academy players with no experience as we hadn't handled them right.

This whole post is top class and I think competently puts into perspective where we are as a club and outlines why we're in good hands.

I feel acting like a big club after coming up from the Championship is pure recklessness. Remember what Boro did a few seasons ago with Valdez and them. We had to come up and recruit with one eye on worst case scenario, Boro didnt and now its starting to unravel. We've made some mistakes we should have brought in one or two older heads but I think its a team built for the longer term.

The problem for me is I can't accept too long a term as the chances are I won't be around to see it.

Certainly in the case of Cit£h and Chelsea they made it in a very quick time frame.

Not for me, it's the first level of foundations trying to balance finance/Prem life/possible Champ life that doesn't kill us again.

Clearly bets have been hedged, if it doesn't work we're not that worse off but if it does work, as per above post - then we can see more of their intentions as our ability to speculate to grow massively improves.

We haven't been well run for 20/30 odd years in terms of where we should be compared to where we have been. All things in, we need patience as without the grounding we'll never be as big a club as we think we should be.

We need to match our name, heritage etc both on and off the pitch. Again, IF they get it right, we will be flying within 5-10 yrs, but we can't be entitled, we've got to earn it and this is the first step really.

Owners are 18 months in, the squad is basically 6 months in and in no way can it be the finished product.

If lumps like City and Chelsea can have their day, we will but not overnight.

We have brought in an average manager, and largely unknown players from abroad with no PL experience.

This isn't a rebuild, it is a waste.

And no, of course we couldn't be the finished product this quickly.

I thank you CDX, not often I get praise like that lol And yes, for me, we've recruited for the future with the hope of surviving but not shitting ourselves if we drop again. We'll see if it works but we are better set than last time.

lol Fulford, I get your point trust me!

Still took them a bit in terms of establishing though and I'd argue both have truly fucked up the development side of the club, so if we can nail both - and why shouldn't we be the go-to Academy in the nearest 100 miles? - we find the talent instead of always paying through the nose for it.

Only thing I can say JF is we'll never know who they had in mind when Dean was appointed. They may well have sounded someone out of top calibre and it may have even been you yourself who said he probably wasnt first choice but for their own PR they need to say he was.

I agree we don't act as a big club we've constantly tried to run the club on the cheap however Xia and Lerner flirted with it and it should serve as a warning.

I don't really understand what you're after. Steady progressive building is more sustainable and successful than mad grabs to launch ourselves forward. I believe in patience - I think if you are patient and we find ourselves still in this league you'll see us acting more like a big club.

I want us to act like Dortmund and not City - I want a solid and sensible policy in effect. That means attempting to bring in the best young talent in the world and selling them to the likes of Madrid. We're not going to be a force for many many years and we have to acknowledge the game has moved on and we must earn back some status.

We've built a championship team, as can be seen the way we are losing consistently and as can be seen today.

You buy PL experience to survive in the PL.

I would be more than happy and respectful of steady progressive building. I don't see what we've built so far.

If we are set up to be a selling club, then fine, communicate that. As I've said a few times, not my fault both the CEO (publicly and privately) has assured us this season the expectation was more than survival, it was to compete, as did the manager.

You bring in average, you get average, that counts for managers, coaches and players.

We are bang average.