Proof How Big Aston Villa Are/Should Be | Page 10 | Vital Football

Proof How Big Aston Villa Are/Should Be

It's not even close Bonker, the quality of fans is different league judging by the noise our lot made at their place :grinning::wahey::utv:

It just goes to show what a proper run football club can be. Just transfer the entire structure of the club and footballing staff to Aston Villa - I am positive a club like us would have cemented our position at the top and not lost it so easily like they did.

They've essentially had to rebuild again.

There are big clubs, then there are small clubs who are successful. Very easy to know the difference.

It just goes to show what a proper run football club can be. Just transfer the entire structure of the club and footballing staff to Aston Villa - I am positive a club like us would have cemented our position at the top and not lost it so easily like they did.

They've essentially had to rebuild again.
What happened after we won the title then back in 81, that fell apart pretty quick.

The only big name manager we have appointed in my time supporting the club was BFR. Was Ron Saunders a big name? I know he became a legend at Villa but he came to us in the old second division.

I looked him up:
Took Norwich up 1972, the next year they survived in 20th place
Took over Man City in Nov 1973, they finished 14th, was sacked before the end of the season
Took Villa up in 1975, the next year we finished 16th

The rest as they say is history. My point being if he was not afforded the time to get things right, we would not be singing about Rotterdam. I get the arguments about Dean Smith, is he the right guy, is he a big name etc. But the parallels are kind of there with our most successful manager in recent history. I am worried by what JF says about the shape of the team, I get the arguments about recruitment - I don't necessarily agree with most of them and I remain to be convinced about Drinkwater, it's been a couple of years since he played regularly. Don't get me wrong, I hope he slots in and is back to the Drinkwater that won the league with Leicester, but I have those nagging doubts.

What happened after we won the title then back in 81, that fell apart pretty quick.

I can't answer that, were we well run in 81/82 I wasnt even born?

What I am trying to say is that if we were in Leceisters position as well run as they are I believe our size would have helped ensure we built on top of that triumph.

Leceister were the underdog of underdogs and struggled to both retain their stars and replace them. Could we have done both or one or the other if we were in the position? Theres a good case we might have had better leverage.

I can't answer that, were we well run in 81/82 I wasnt even born?

What I am trying to say is that if we were in Leceisters position as well run as they are I believe our size would have helped ensure we built on top of that triumph.

Leceister were the underdog of underdogs and struggled to both retain their stars and replace them. Could we have done both or one or the other if we were in the position? Theres a good case we might have had better leverage.
HA HA. Sorry about that. We thought we were as well run as most at the time
But couldnt be more wrong. My recollection is that Ron Saunders had the cheek to ask for a modest pay rise for having won the league and was refused. He walked across town to the other lot at Small Heath, we won the European Cup the year after, Ellis came back and we were relegated a short few years after that.
We had the biggest oppurtunity in our history to push on an stay with the big boys and blew it. Ellis wouldnt put his hand in his pocket.

We had the biggest oppurtunity in our history to push on ans stay with the big boys and blew it.

Its grand no offence taken at all.

I would also go another step and say we blew another massive opportunity at the start of the Premier League too. Too young to even know who Villa were then but I've seen enough old television coverage and Premier League years to know that. Same with MoN and now we're into another possible cycle with Grealish.

Underestimated the gulf in quality this season but I still think at least 10 teams in the leagues only ambition is to stay in it and anyone who thinks beyond that could easily leap frog them. Look at Wolves, look at Leceister.

United, Arsenal, Spurs all demonstrating how easy it is to fall apart when you're comfortable too and when you don't plan properly and invest right.

Its grand no offence taken at all.

I would also go another step and say we blew another massive opportunity at the start of the Premier League too. Too young to even know who Villa were then but I've seen enough old television coverage and Premier League years to know that. Same with MoN and now we're into another possible cycle with Grealish.

Underestimated the gulf in quality this season but I still think at least 10 teams in the leagues only ambition is to stay in it and anyone who thinks beyond that could easily leap frog them. Look at Wolves, look at Leceister.

United, Arsenal, Spurs all demonstrating how easy it is to fall apart when you're comfortable too and when you don't plan properly and invest right.
Yes spot on. That was our other chance and again we blew it. Your point about United and Arsenal in particular is well made. Their fall from grace is nothing like ours has been but they are finding it difficult to get back up there with the elite, and missing out on Champions League now. Slow decline over a number of seasons, shadows of their former selves.

The only big name manager we have appointed in my time supporting the club was BFR. Was Ron Saunders a big name? I know he became a legend at Villa but he came to us in the old second division.

Houllier was a 'big name' manager with pedigree. The idea was right, but wrong time with him, due to his heart issues.

Yes spot on. That was our other chance and again we blew it. Your point about United and Arsenal in particular is well made. Their fall from grace is nothing like ours has been but they are finding it difficult to get back up there with the elite, and missing out on Champions League now. Slow decline over a number of seasons, shadows of their former selves.

Ferguson ran United. He and the CEO left at the same time. The people now running the club aren't good enough. Their best option is to back OLE and give him time because he does understand what the club is about and he's no fool. But they need a lot of time.

Likewise Wenger ran Arsenal except didn't seem to have as much money to spend as you'd expect. They're now paying for it.

At the moment we are lucky in having owners who know that there isn't a cheap way forwards; I think they'll back us subject to FFP.

Read an article today that it has taken Klopp 4 years to get this team where he wants and get rid of all the players that he inherited but didn't want.

He was building from a much higher and better foundation as well.

These things don't happen overnight.

Ferguson ran United. He and the CEO left at the same time. The people now running the club aren't good enough. Their best option is to back OLE and give him time because he does understand what the club is about and he's no fool. But they need a lot of time.

Likewise Wenger ran Arsenal except didn't seem to have as much money to spend as you'd expect. They're now paying for it.

At the moment we are lucky in having owners who know that there isn't a cheap way forwards; I think they'll back us subject to FFP.
So given that OLE s management CV is not dissimilar to Smith s does that mean that we back him and give him time because I think he knows what the club is about.