Priti Patel | Page 3 | Vital Football

Priti Patel

Shouting at someone even when using abusive language is not bullying!

Some of those civil servants would not have lasted five minutes in basic training at HMS Ganges or on a warship. The trouble with Whitehall civil servants is their main work procedure is inertia. Somebody turns up expecting to achieve something would soon realize this, it's time some of these complainants grew a pair and shouted back. Sometimes that can gain a bit of respect from both sides.
So the author of the independent report is wrong and you know better.

Some of those civil servants would not have lasted five minutes in basic training at HMS Ganges or on a warship. The trouble with Whitehall civil servants is their main work procedure is inertia. Somebody turns up expecting to achieve something would soon realize this, it's time some of these complainants grew a pair and shouted back. Sometimes that can gain a bit of respect from both sides.
Grateful for you first hand experience of this? What department were you in and what level of inertia did you achieve?

In the same breath some of these wouldn’t have lasted in factory work years ago, or as an apprentice either in the 80s or 90s. It doesn’t make it right though. I’m afraid if you or Baghdad think shouting, swearing and/or belittling staff is an effective method of people management these days then im afraid you are gravely mistaken.
Any reasonable employer should not allow it to continue if they are made aware of it happening and are duty bound to investigate through the proper channels. Then come to a conclusion and act on it. I have no axe to grind with PP. she is just another incompetence within a whole rabble of others (imho). But if not sacked, she should at the very least be warned about future conduct and effectively be on a “final warning”. Notice earlier I did state reasonable employer though............

As a low level Civil Servant, I never had any contact (or even live in the same world) as the high level mandarins. However, the high level management I encountered always were fair and reasonable, and even treated an uneducated toe rag like me well. Can never imagine them shouting and swearing at staff (too clever, and could belittle you with a caustic comment if they wanted to) .

The Roone, you do talk some bollocks "Some of those civil servants would not have lasted five minutes in basic training at HMS Ganges or on a warship" - one of the first higher grade Civil Servants I worked for had been a bomber pilot during the Second World was and another bloke had been a tail end charley.

As I joined the Civil Service in the early 70's many of the staff were World War War 2 Veterans and quite a few carried war wounds.

Think you have have been watching too much Yes Minister. Just in case you don't understand, that's not real.

So what did she actually do then and who are the victims of her purported bullying?

Comes across as a witch-hunt to me. And before anyone criticises me for saying that I bet most of those who will deny it’s a witch-hunt are largely the same people who have been recently claiming a witch-hunt against Corbyn. And let’s be honest, were Priti in the Labour Party, the old race and/or sex card would have been pulled a long time ago as we’ve seen with several shadow ministers in recent times when they’ve been rightly criticised for their behaviour, statements and/or actions.

The Roone, you do talk some bollocks "Some of those civil servants would not have lasted five minutes in basic training at HMS Ganges or on a warship" - one of the first higher grade Civil Servants I worked for had been a bomber pilot during the Second World was and another bloke had been a tail end charley.

As I joined the Civil Service in the early 70's many of the staff were World War War 2 Veterans and quite a few carried war wounds.

Think you have have been watching too much Yes Minister. Just in case you don't understand, that's not real.
Quality post Rotherhithe. Genuinely made me smile.

our Home Secretary has been found to have bullied staff
But that is not what the report says - however much critics try to add some "spice".
(IIRC) the relevant passage said:
"....behaviour that could have been perceived as bullying....".

Given that the wording will have been very carefully constructed with legal advice.....
That clearly points to a perception by a staffer.....
...which might possibly have been an over-reaction ( or even motivated by dislike for Patel).
A reasonable inference is that, a.n.observer might have viewed the incident differently.

It has been speculated that Patel shouted and swore at a senior staffer out of frustration - perhaps at perceived foot-dragging over providing info - or implementing a decision.

If true, swearing might not be the best behaviour.....
...but is not necessarily "bullying".

And as pointed out....
If at a senior (highly paid) Civil Servant, surely certain expectations - and pressure come with the job ?

Many such officials wouldn't last long in the private sector.
That's not about "bullying".
That's about tasks, objectives, achievement and assessment - with potentially a stalled career or do change to a job more suitable,.

So what did she actually do then and who are the victims of her purported bullying?

Comes across as a witch-hunt to me. And before anyone criticises me for saying that I bet most of those who will deny it’s a witch-hunt are largely the same people who have been recently claiming a witch-hunt against Corbyn. And let’s be honest, were Priti in the Labour Party, the old race and/or sex card would have been pulled a long time ago as we’ve seen with several shadow ministers in recent times when they’ve been rightly criticised for their behaviour, statements and/or actions.

Worth noting Steve that Sir Philip Rutham, who resigned as Home Office Permanent Secretary, is suing the governemnt for constructive dismissal. If that case is heard a whole lot more will out and Johnson's attempt to smother the story may unravel. Let's not forgert another case was bouight off with a £25K pay off before the case was heard. There are likely to be others.

But that is not what the report says - however much critics try to add some "spice".
(IIRC) the relevant passage said:
"....behaviour that could have been perceived as bullying....".

Given that the wording will have been very carefully constructed with legal advice.....
That clearly points to a perception by a staffer.....
...which might possibly have been an over-reaction ( or even motivated by dislike for Patel).
A reasonable inference is that, a.n.observer might have viewed the incident differently.

It has been speculated that Patel shouted and swore at a senior staffer out of frustration - perhaps at perceived foot-dragging over providing info - or implementing a decision.

If true, swearing might not be the best behaviour.....
...but is not necessarily "bullying".

And as pointed out....
If at a senior (highly paid) Civil Servant, surely certain expectations - and pressure come with the job ?

Many such officials wouldn't last long in the private sector.
That's not about "bullying".
That's about tasks, objectives, achievement and assessment - with potentially a stalled career or do change to a job more suitable,.

You really do talk some rot at times Tarian. Dress it up as you may she is a workplace bully, who is being given a ninth life on the grounds she may not have realised what she was doing. Not the sort of personality suited to manage a major department.

Foolish to mention the private sector. Priti Patel would have been toast as soon as the story went public had she worked in private industry. If Sir Alex Allan is called to give evidence at the coming tribunal he will be free to speak without the inhibitions of career and office. Johnson's judgement may then be exposed, he hasn't thought this through. Par for the course.

Last edited:
So the author of the independent report is wrong and you know better.
Which quote from the report are you arguing about ?

Do you mean a very carefully worded;
(IIRC) "....behaviour that could have been perceived as bullying....".

Why use that phraseology like that if there was a slam dunk case ?

Surely it is much more plausible that someone (quite senior I believe) didn't like being spoken to by a "bossy" woman ?

I I’m afraid if you or Baghdad think shouting, swearing and/or belittling staff is an effective method of people management these days then im afraid you are gravely mistaken.
Arguing by extremes - and by mis-representing the point.

I don't think many people that think swearing and shouting is good management.
(Although some seem to think it OK from Steve Evans.....)

But that doesn't make it "bullying".

keep going priti, the corrupt media and the left know u are popular and are doing their best with the aid of the civil service to get rid of u. Come on priti the liars wont succeed nor will the lying cheating scumbags who are trying to turn a landslide trump victory into a biden win. Good will win and the truth will prevail.